Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware v. Delaware State?

Here's why this post is in SDSU's football section of the message board:

Watching ESPN this morning -- there was a feature story about the Delaware Blue Hen's refusal to schedule Delaware State U. Delaware State is considered a traditional black school. The press has been pounding aware for years at the Blue Hens, one of the stronger FCS programs year-in and year-out. Underlying the dispute are charges that Delaware refuses to play Delaware State due to racism.

ESPN was interviewing a fellow who wrote a column for ESPN on line. He was critical of Delaware's claim that it takes five years to set up schedules etc. He was basically saying, yeah, right...so Delaware is able to schedule such schools as Monmouth and (some other school I forgot) and even South Dakota State!

I think he was not taking a shot at SDSU but more was discrediting the Delaware claim that it is too difficult to schedule Delaware State.

Well, at least they're talking about us!

Re: Delaware v. Delaware State?

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Here's why this post is in SDSU's football section of the message board:

Watching ESPN this morning -- there was a feature story about the Delaware Blue Hen's refusal to schedule Delaware State U. Delaware State is considered a traditional black school. The press has been pounding aware for years at the Blue Hens, one of the stronger FCS programs year-in and year-out. Underlying the dispute are charges that Delaware refuses to play Delaware State due to racism.

ESPN was interviewing a fellow who wrote a column for ESPN on line. He was critical of Delaware's claim that it takes five years to set up schedules etc. He was basically saying, yeah, right...so Delaware is able to schedule such schools as Monmouth and (some other school I forgot) and even South Dakota State!

I think he was not taking a shot at SDSU but more was discrediting the Delaware claim that it is too difficult to schedule Delaware State.

Well, at least they're talking about us!
    Delaware's reasoning for not scheduling DSU is totally ridiculous. Too bad the ESPN guy had to use SDSU as a punchline. But his point was correct.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Check out Delaware's QB Joe Flacco. His QB rating is 160.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I guess that isn't even that impressive. Steve Walker's QB rating is 170. Berry's QB rating is 130.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Is there anything wrong with just plain not wanting to play a school? Who cares is if it a traditionally black school? We don't play USD or UND any more. I am guessing the fear of an upset is the more driving factor than racism. I could totally be wrong, this is the same schooling system with their “diversity facilitation training”.
          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
            Is there anything wrong with just plain not wanting to play a school? Who cares is if it a traditionally black school? We don't play USD or UND any more. I am guessing the fear of an upset is the more driving factor than racism. I could totally be wrong, this is the same schooling system with their “diversity facilitation training”.
            Why would they make up excuses about how difficult it is to schedule if it's just "we don't want to play you"? There's a whole lot more to this than can be captured in a forum post. Google it and read what you find. It might change your mind.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I guess that Delaware State will get that chance to play Delaware. They face each other in the first round of the playoffs.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...aa-bracket.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                I guess that Delaware State will get that chance to play Delaware. They face each other in the first round of the playoffs.

I wonder if there was any politics involved when that bracket was made up. Or do they place people in the bracket according to some poll?

Comment

Can you imagin how intense that playoff game will be?

It appears that Delaware is wrong in not scheduling Delaware State but there could be more to it beneath the surface.

For example, what if everything had been the same between SDSU and USD for the last couple decades but USD was a black school. Would they call SDSU's not scheduling USD racist or would it be accepted for all the other reasons that have been discussed on this board?

It may be a racist reason in this case but I always like to look a little deeper rather than just paint with a broad brush.

It will make for one wild match up, that can't be denied!

Just think, in another year we will have playoffs to think about!

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post

I also noticed that the Colonial got 5 teams into the playoffs...wow! Looks like Youngstown St. had one too many losses (7-4) and their conference record of 3-3 is likely what held them out. The Gateway recieved 2 spots and both are in the top 4. Northern Iowa is #1 and Southern Illinois is #4. Action kicks off on Friday which is when the Delaware - Delaware St. game (1:30PM) is.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      I wonder if there was any politics involved when that bracket was made up. Or do they place people in the bracket according to some poll?
                      The first four are seeded. These selections went to UNI (11-0), McNeese (11-0), Montana (11-0), and So Ill (10-1).

After that, it is to minimize travel expenses, and hosting goes to the highest bidders.

Yes, there are politics involved in sending Del St. to Del. But it's also a 45 min trip between the two schools. Del can pack in 22k, and a "bad turnout" is about 14K. Del St. is in the play-offs for the first time since moving up to D-I, and their capacity is about 6K.

Lots of previous key post-season match ups in the first round.
                      James Madison (2004 champ) at App St. (2005 & 06 champ)
                      UNH at UNI (rematch of 2005 key 1/4 final)
                      E Ill at So Ill (played last 3 years in play offs)
                      EKU of Richmond (KY) at U of Richmond (just too much fun for the bracketeers)

Montana hosts the Wofford Terriers (SoCon autobid)

Montana and McNeese are #3 and #2. Gateway only gets two in, but they're both seeded.

CAA has 5 teams in, but no seeds.

Started a vote over at AGS about the Jacks and Bison see about feelings if we'd been eligible. Get over and vote, if you'd like.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ad.php?t=33181

Comment

3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter...Delaware is up 30-0 on Delaware State.

Maybe they should just forget about scheduling them!

Comment

I have to think Flacco(DU's QB)=6ft 6in.266 pounds=Rocket Arm=NFL. WOW!

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Delaware State looks like about a fourth-place Great West team.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The DU quarterback ... what a stud ... what an arm. Those blue Nike jerseys reminded me of the jacks. They just had a bit more yellow, which was a nice touch ... a little less practice-like. Anyhow ... blue jerseys, yellow pants ... they only thing missing was the SD on the helmets. I was hoping D State would put up a better showing after being ducked by DU all those years. Too bad.
                              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                              X