Great article on George Hill of IUPUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article on George Hill of IUPUI

NOTE: I am breaking a rule here by pasting the whole article, however the Indy Star doesn't archive their material like most newspapers do. If he makes the NBA, more power to the Summit League!

"Indiana guards Hill, James meet

By Jeff Rabjohns
    jeff.rabjohns@indystar.com

Two former Indianapolis Star Indiana All-Stars who are getting attention from NBA scouts go head-to-head tonight.

IUPUI at Marquette

8:30 p.m. today

IUPUI's George Hill and Marquette's Dominic James lead their teams into the season opener for each at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.
    Both players are scoring point guards, arguably the best at their position in their leagues. Hill, a 6-2 redshirt junior from Broad Ripple, is the Preseason Player of the Year in the Summit League; James, a 5-11 junior, was a first team All-Big East selection as a sophomore.
    James, the runner-up for the 2005 Indiana Mr. Basketball out of Richmond, averaged 14.9 points, 4.9 assists and 3.1 rebounds last season. He has started 65 consecutive games for the Golden Eagles, who open the year ranked No. 11.
    Said Hill: "It's great to see how two kids from Indiana are doing. I like to evaluate other players from Indiana, see how we've done so far as we grow up.
    "I think it's going to be a great game, a great surrounding. It's great to play against him because of the caliber of player he is. He's strong. He's athletic. He's a great scorer."
    Hill, healthy after missing all but five games last year with a broken foot, was a first team all-conference pick as a sophomore, when he was among the league leaders in scoring (18.9), rebounding (6.0), assists (3.6), field-goal percentage (51.8) and free-throw percentage (79.8).
    "After watching him play or practice, every NBA scout that has come in here has said, 'Wow,' " said IUPUI coach Ron Hunter, whose team was picked to win the Summit League and reach the NCAA Tournament. "I don't think people realize how good this kid could be. I think sitting out last year and seeing the game from a different perspective has helped him."
    James attended pre-draft workouts after last season before deciding to return to Marquette.
    "I went into that predraft camp with open ears, and more than anything, I was willing to be honest with myself," James told the Syracuse (N.Y.) Post-Standard. "It wasn't just one play or one thing that took place where I decided I wasn't good enough. It was just all together, and a lot of it took place way before the draft."
    By Hill's recollection, the only time the two have faced each other was in June 2004 when Hill was on the Indiana All-Stars and James was a Junior All-Star. The All-Stars and Juniors split their two exhibition games.
    Etc.

The game will be a homecoming of sorts for Hunter. He was an assistant at Wisconsin-Milwaukee from 1987-93, helping UWM to an average of 18.5 wins per year. . . . IUPUI is 0-5 against nationally ranked teams, its closest loss a 61-59 setback at No. 24 Dayton on Dec. 13, 2003."
Working...
X