The PRIDE IS BACK! (FOR NDSU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PRIDE IS BACK! (FOR NDSU)

I received this email from the Presidents office this morning!

Thanks for your message to the President’s Office via the SDSU Web site. I thought you might be interested in an update on the Pride’s plans to play at the Nov. 17 football game against North Dakota State University.

It is my understanding that The Pride leadership has been talking about the NDSU football game as one last chance to play in a large-crowd environment. The band members today decided that although they do not have time to develop an on-field performance, they will provide music during the game.

Let me share a little perspective, based on what I learned today regarding The Pride’s schedule. The band historically has closed its performance season around Nov. 1 for decades, unless Hobo Day has been scheduled late in the season. For one, the return to standard time cuts into late-afternoon daylight for practices. (As a point of comparison, the NDSU band has the option of practicing in the FargoDome once Daylight Savings Time ends.) Secondly, many of The Pride’s members also participate in one of the two basketball bands, and those seasons usually start in November. And related to that, many others in The Pride also play in the jazz ensembles, symphonic band and other indoor performance groups. Those bands start their concert schedules late in the fall semester. I’ll add that our musicians also are full-time students, and we administrators prefer that they keep a healthy balance between their studies and their co-curricular choices.

The Pride has plans to play during the Nov. 17 game. I hope you will share this news with others who will want to know. Thanks again for your note.

Re: The PRIDE IS BACK! (FOR NDSU)

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
    I received this email from the Presidents office this morning!

Thanks for your message to the President’s Office via the SDSU Web site. I thought you might be interested in an update on the Pride’s plans to play at the Nov. 17 football game against North Dakota State University.

It is my understanding that The Pride leadership has been talking about the NDSU football game as one last chance to play in a large-crowd environment. The band members today decided that although they do not have time to develop an on-field performance, they will provide music during the game.

Let me share a little perspective, based on what I learned today regarding The Pride’s schedule. The band historically has closed its performance season around Nov. 1 for decades, unless Hobo Day has been scheduled late in the season. For one, the return to standard time cuts into late-afternoon daylight for practices. (As a point of comparison, the NDSU band has the option of practicing in the FargoDome once Daylight Savings Time ends.) Secondly, many of The Pride’s members also participate in one of the two basketball bands, and those seasons usually start in November. And related to that, many others in The Pride also play in the jazz ensembles, symphonic band and other indoor performance groups. Those bands start their concert schedules late in the fall semester. I’ll add that our musicians also are full-time students, and we administrators prefer that they keep a healthy balance between their studies and their co-curricular choices.

The Pride has plans to play during the Nov. 17 game. I hope you will share this news with others who will want to know. Thanks again for your note.
    Gives you a good idea of who intervened to make sure the Pride would be there Nov. 17. Interesting how it is spun as the Pride making the decision as a group.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Sounds similar to some of the factors I posted in a previous thread... hmm...

Okay... enough of that! Let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm glad the Pride will be there on the 17th. One of my co-workers is a recent NDSU grad and it'll be nice to show him a REAL band!

BTW, I'm doing a special "Sports Spotlight" November 24th on KJAM, featuring the "sights and sounds" of the games. I'm going to have on an area high school band director, a cheerleading coach, and Jim McKinney too. Tune in!
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Let me share a little perspective

First and foremost the Pride is a huge part of the gameday "atmosphere" and their decision to play for the largest game in recent SDSU history is welcome.
        The band members today decided that although they do not have time to develop an on-field performance, they will provide music during the game.
        Personally, I don't care if they march, just that they play BUT I have seen every home game this year and have only seen one performance. What else is there to develop?
        The band historically has closed its performance season around Nov. 1 for decades, unless Hobo Day has been scheduled late in the season.
        SDSU has been D-I for four years now, what is in the past is in the past. Times change as do expectations, roll with it.

For one, the return to standard time cuts into late-afternoon daylight for practices.
        What are they practicing? They play the same songs at every game. (mind you they play them well) they should know them well enough not to need 3 hours of practice a day. Practicing from 3:30 - 5 should be ample time by now.
        Secondly, many of The Pride’s members also participate in one of the two basketball bands, and those seasons usually start in November.
        There are no more than 20 - 25 members of the pep band that perform on any night. That makes 50 kids of 400. Also, maybe now it is time to change the schedule for the other band organizations. These kids have a lot on their plate and maybe the schedule needs to be re-created to fit the needs fo the school and the students.

Again, I will say that I am glad they came to the decision to play, it was the right decision and however it is spun it was done right. But I do believe that someone needs to take the gloves off when it comes to dealing with Dr. McKinney, I do believe he has been coddled for way too long now and that has partially created this issue.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          Dr. McKinney, I do believe he has been coddled for way too long now and that has partially created this issue.
          Small correction: According to the Music Department site, it's Mr. McKinney. He doesn't have a doctorate.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            But I do believe that someone needs to take the gloves off when it comes to dealing with Dr. McKinney, I do believe he has been coddled for way too long now and that has partially created this issue.

Funny... I didn't realize Mr. McKinney was employed by the athletic department... silly me, here I was thinking he worked in the MUSIC department!

Fact is... the band will play. So DROP IT!!!
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
              Funny... I didn't realize Mr. McKinney was employed by the athletic department... silly me, here I was thinking he worked in the MUSIC department!

Fact is... the band will play. So DROP IT!!!

Fact is he mad a really poor choice in ever letting this get to this point. I'm with EQ guy, it's time for McKinney to step up. If Nagy, Stig, AJ or someone else makes a poor choice, we can talk about it. So why not McKinney???

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                Fact is he mad a really poor choice in ever letting this get to this point. I'm with EQ guy, it's time for McKinney to step up. If Nagy, Stig, AJ or someone else makes a poor choice, we can talk about it. So why not McKinney???
                There's also something called "beating a dead horse!"
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  There's also something called "beating a dead horse!"
                  There is also something called dropping your allegiances. You obviously can't see this issue from a neutral perspective jackrabit1, so if you don't want to discuss anymore than don't. We are on a discussion board for cripes sake, let people discuss.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

It's one thing to discuss... another to beat around a topic that has a resolution. Frankly, I'm all for moving on and putting this subject to rest.

Frankly, it gets annoying and nothing useful or new gets added.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

In my experience, people tend to find a way of discussing things that other people don't want discussed . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Steve Imming on WNAX mentioned that the Pride will be at the NDSU game.

Comment

Where was the pep band for the volleyball and basketball doubleheader last night?

Comment

3-day weekend, I'm guessing...pep band doesn't play at VB matches

Comment

Ok everybody i am really confused about this next week. I have not heard anything about The Pride playing for the game next week except for what McKinney said during one of the last practices-he said we would possibly have a volunteer pep band for both the SU game and the NDSU game. Well, obviously there was no band today at the game and how are we supposed to even put the Pride in the stands for the Marker game when it was not on our schedule and our uniforms are currently being dry cleaned for the Rose parade. Everybody's talking like it is a done deal and i dont see how it is! We have one practice this week at the swiftel and that is it. I just dont see how it is going to work, and you would think that a Pride member such as myself would know what is going on before anyone else-i think there are alot of rumors going around. I just wanna know the truth!
                              "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

Working...
                              X