Here's what we're talking about....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's what we're talking about....

I'm putting this in "Smack" because, while it is a perfectly serious topic, I'm confident it will quickly turn into smack (especially if a USD fan decides to try to join in the "discussion").

I understand that the following is only a statement of the Editorial Board of the USD student newspaper, the Volante. I also understand that the Editorial Board may say "Aww, come on, we're just making a joke." But, I think the following quote speaks volumes and supports why I am not at all interested in resuming athletic competition with USD (at least in the football or men's and women's basketball). Okay, enough with the preliminaries. Here's the lead paragraph from the editorial in today's Volante, the link to the full editorial, and then my two-cents worth.

Editorial: Coyotes should chastise UND's offensive logo

Editorial Board

Issue date: 11/7/07 Section: Opinion

With USD's pending move to Division I, speculation has been flying about what teams USD will play, what teams we can beat in which sports and how many more dead jackrabbits we will be able to afford on a D-I budget.

Right now, it seems that one of our most watched rivals is The University of North Dakota, which is moving up from Division II to Division I at the same time as USD, making them one of our best-matched competitors.

for the full editorial: http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...ntedstoriestab

Now, my two-cents worth.
    I follow USD's fortunes in athletics (and generally, the other schools in the region). I even wish them well. But, I've said on many posts on other threads that the "rivalry" between SDSU and USD had broken down and should not be resumed. If play between the two schools is resumed, particularly in football and men's and women's basketball, I hope the two schools forever remain in separate conferences.

Some say that today's students have no idea about the rivalry. I think the SDSU students have a forward-view, always looking to the next DI rival to come to CAS or Frost because that's what they're accustomed to as the DI transition is completed and we've now joined a conference.

But, you can see some current USD students, at least its Volante Editorial Board, are anxious to resume throwing dead animals at athletic contests.

I'm very tempted to send the editorial to officials at the Summit League. We have Jackrabbit fans upset about not using cowbells. Can you imagine what the Summit League would think about dead jackrabbits?

Students at Augie could never get it through their heads that throwing baby carrots on the floor resulted in technical fouls against their teams. I recall when Perry Ford was Augie's coach and in one game, just as momentum shifted in favor of Augie, and Augie was making a strong comeback against the Jacks, his own students stopped the momentum with carrots...Augie stalled out after the Jacks sunk two or three free throws and went on to win the game. I wish I had a recording of Ford's comments after his "fans" may have cost his team the game.

I am convinced some students at USD will immediately resort to the old days. I am convinced the likelihood of a change of attitude is very remote -- just like the attitude displayed by some Augie students who, to this day, will throw carrots if we meet on the basketball court. In fact, I'm more certain of that now that SDSU has surprised its critics with a higher level of success than many optimists could have planned. Just read the first paragraph in that editorial.

Re: Here's what we're talking about....

I agree JD, even though today's students may not be familiar with the rivalry, it will not take long for the games to get ugly again. With what I hear from USD alumni in our area, the nastiness of rivalry will soon be revived because they just can't let it go. It is too bad, but the games were not fun anymore. Even as an alumni, I had my own issues with playing them. I have made it known that I am not in favor of reviving these games. At times I get tired of arguing with them and think maybe we should play them to get it out of their system once and for all. We would kick their ass in football, basketball, who knows. But then what would we do? I say let's just leave good enough alone and go our own way. I think it would be best if we each had our own conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
      I agree JD, even though today's students may not be familiar with the rivalry, it will not take long for the games to get ugly again. With what I hear from USD alumni in our area, the nastiness of rivalry will soon be revived because they just can't let it go. It is too bad, but the games were not fun anymore. Even as an alumni, I had my own issues with playing them. I have made it known that I am not in favor of reviving these games. At times I get tired of arguing with them and think maybe we should play them to get it out of their system once and for all. We would kick their ass in football, basketball, who knows. But then what would we do? I say let's just leave good enough alone and go our own way. I think it would be best if we each had our own conferences.
      Outside of the dumb dead jackrabbits comment (will they never learn?) that's a good editorial and points out something I have posted about before. USD has allied themselves with a very problematic situation. No doubt Tom Douple doesn't want dead jackrabbits flying around, but I'm sure he also doesn't want controversial and contentious Native American mascot issues hanging around his neck. If USD and UND are a package, they're not an attractive one to conferences, in large part because of the mascot situation.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

"John Korkow
        posted 11/07/07 @ 4:41 PM CST
        Good article, but I'm confused, why can't USD realistically be expected to boycott UND? How can USD uphold its support of diversity and commitment to Native American students and NOT boycott UND?"

I won't relink because it's already in the original post.

Good point, Mr. Korkow. I think USD should put its money where its mouth is and pull out of the Great West.
        Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
          "John Korkow
          posted 11/07/07 @ 4:41 PM CST
          Good article, but I'm confused, why can't USD realistically be expected to boycott UND? How can USD uphold its support of diversity and commitment to Native American students and NOT boycott UND?"

I won't relink because it's already in the original post.

Good point, Mr. Korkow. I think USD should put its money where its mouth is and pull out of the Great West.
          They pull out of the great west and they will be playing DWU, and SDSM&T at home for the next 4 years.... I do think that USD should do that but I don't see it happening....

Comment

That was called sarcasm...

Comment

Even with a spot in the Great West, usd(d-1?) will still have to schedule some of the DWUs and SD Techs of the region in order to have more than three or four home games in a season...

I'm just waiting for them to get excited over one of those two-for-one deals with one of the Montana schools; you know: the two games in Montana in exchange for one mediocre buyout...

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                Even with a spot in the Great West, usd(d-1?) will still have to schedule some of the DWUs and SD Techs of the region in order to have more than three or four home games in a season...

I'm just waiting for them to get excited over one of those two-for-one deals with one of the Montana schools; you know: the two games in Montana in exchange for one mediocre buyout...
                and then an offer of another 2-1

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post

Does anybody think McNeese is going to fulfill that contract and go to USD? I think there's a good 50 percent chance they'll buy themselves out of it. Why bother?

Don't forget Upper Iowa. And I think Missouri-Rolla is already on their schedule for next year. Somebody send Nielsen the number for William Penn.

Enjoy your transition, Coyotes.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Does anybody think McNeese is going to fulfill that contract and go to USD? I think there's a good 50 percent chance they'll buy themselves out of it. Why bother?

Don't forget Upper Iowa. And I think Missouri-Rolla is already on their schedule for next year. Somebody send Nielsen the number for William Penn.

Enjoy your transition, Coyotes.
                    I think that McNeese will come up to Verminville in 2009 and crush the 'Yotes at the Dump. The Southland teams seem to have a moral fiber that is much stronger than those from the BS Conference. In addition, USD(d-1?) probably negotiated higher buyouts after hearing about the experiences the xDSUs faced during the transition.

Regardless, the 'Yotes will need to find some obscure schools to fill out the schedule, especially since the Northern Sun will play a 10-game conference schedule (you think Augie will want USD(d-1?) to be their non-conference game every year?).

Don't diss Missouri-Rolla too much; two years ago, they gave us a better game than Valpo or Southern Utah.

Comment

Working...
                    X