Southern Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Utah

Now that SDSU is above the .500 mark for the first time this season, the team needs to keep the momentum going as SUU comes into Coughlin-Alumni next Saturday afternoon.

This game worries me even though the Thunderbirds are 0-9 and the Jacks routed them two years ago in Brookings. SUU has played competively with Montana St., Youngstown St., and Cal-Poly is probably going to be fired up to try to knock SDSU off and avoid a second consecutive 0-4 season in the GWFC.

Two questions:
    1) Will SDSU be looking ahead to the showdown with NDSU? I know Stig's goal is for the team is to go 1-0 each week, but an 0-9 team is easy to overlook in favor of a 9-0 rival.

2) What is the attendance going to be? It's a three-day weekend in November and NDSU is a week later; 4000 might be the max crowd at CAS.

Prediction: SDSU will play the starters for about a half and get a lot of looks at the younger players. as the Jacks get a 41-17 win.

Re: Southern Utah

I'll be there with my family and friends. State FB championships may hurt attendance a bit. I will say, if a casual fan wants to see a great FB team be at CAS at 1:00 next Saturday. We are the best show in the state for sure.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
      Now that SDSU is above the .500 mark for the first time this season, the team needs to keep the momentum going as SUU comes into Coughlin-Alumni next Saturday afternoon.

This game worries me even though the Thunderbirds are 0-9 and the Jacks routed them two years ago in Brookings. SUU has played competively with Montana St., Youngstown St., and Cal-Poly is probably going to be fired up to try to knock SDSU off and avoid a second consecutive 0-4 season in the GWFC.

Two questions:
      1) Will SDSU be looking ahead to the showdown with NDSU? I know Stig's goal is for the team is to go 1-0 each week, but an 0-9 team is easy to overlook in favor of a 9-0 rival.

2) What is the attendance going to be? It's a three-day weekend in November and NDSU is a week later; 4000 might be the max crowd at CAS.

Prediction: SDSU will play the starters for about a half and get a lot of looks at the younger players. as the Jacks get a 41-17 win.
      I have a daughter at SDSU who is going to the game and tehn coming home. Great win tonight and keep it up Jacks. I will be at SD Cheer and Damce Cahmionships next week cause my daughter is in it, otherwise, I would be there. My tickets are already spoken for.

Comment

Yeah, this game scares me already. It just reeks (sp?) of upset.

I hope I'm wrong, but SUU has played some good teams tough, and next weekend will most likely be no different.

Don't overlook SUU in anticipation of NSDU, Jacks!
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I think this game is the definition of a trap game.... you are playing an 0-9 team but most of there losses were close games to really good teams and SDSU has the little men in green coming down the week after.....

Comment

Not only that but they played us pretty tough on their home field last year. Hopefully the coaches don't try to get too cute with play calls and covering things up for the NDSU game.
            I just get the feeling that this team has a different mission and that they learned their lesson last year in the game that shall not be mentioned.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
              Not only that but they played us pretty tough on their home field last year. Hopefully the coaches don't try to get too cute with play calls and covering things up for the NDSU game.
              I just get the feeling that this team has a different mission and that they learned their lesson last year in the game that shall not be mentioned.

I could not agree more. I believe that was a lesson very well learned and don't think that will be a problem come Saturday.

Comment

I like where our team is at today in terms of our intensity and focus level of play. We seem to step up to each challange. One game at a time approach should permit SDSU to come out Saturday to work for a solid win. Judging by the moral of the SUU coach, I think the burden is pretty much on his shoulders. If you read Terry's blog of the Great West conference call, the coach did not show up last time. I got a feeling he is on his way out. SUU I believe has either a new AD or president and they let their Men's bb coach go after last season, and hired a higher profile coach. I suspect this may in the works in football as well. Its hard to be the coach under these circumstances. The BB coach that was fired had been at SUU a while and had about a .500 win-loss record.

I do know that SUU has played with less than 63 scholarships for a number of years and that is why you never see Utah or Boise State or any other D1A teams on their schedule. Not that scholarships matter that much, its been an underfunded item and it kind of shows where they are in terms of winning and keeping coaches.

Keep stepping up D, we can do it. We need a good crowd to show up and support our hardworking guys on both sides of the ball.

Comment

I agree with the statements above. We cannot let our guards down for this one. SUU may have some internal issues, but they may feel this is their championship game. They could come out here and play on our field and make a statement regarding the Great West conference champion. Stig will have the men ready and then after the game they can start looking forward to the biggest game at SDSU in years. Unfortunately, I will be at home watching the inaugaral Cheer and Dance Championships (Hey, I wanted boys!). If anyone wants updates next Saturday, let me know. Yeah, right!

Comment

You guys shouldn't have any trouble with SUU. From what we saw of them in Cedar City, they were just a plain bad team.

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by McNeese72 View Post
                      You guys shouldn't have any trouble with SUU. From what we saw of them in Cedar City, they were just a plain bad team.

Doc
                      With the exception of the game at NDSU, Southern Utah has typically played "better" on the road this year than at home.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                        With the exception of the game at NDSU, Southern Utah has typically played "better" on the road this year than at home.
                        The SUU team that visited Coughlin two years ago still holds the distinction of being easily the worst FCS scholarship team I have seen. Yes, they were worse than SFA, which is saying something.

Last year in Cedar City, we jumped out 21-0 at the half and let down in the second half. Oh, and there was no Koenig in that game.

I don't see that happening this year. In fact, I think the Jacks are poised to put together another complete game in the mold of the UCA beating. We're a confident, experienced team with plenty of senior leadership. They're not going to let SUU trip us up on the way to a Dakota Marker/Great West Championship game.

Right now the weather forecast is for a high of 51 on Saturday. If that holds, I'll hold out hope for 8,000 in attendance.

Jacks 38
                        SUU 14
                        Last edited by JimmyJack; 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                          Unfortunately, I will be at home watching the inaugaral Cheer and Dance Championships (Hey, I wanted boys!). If anyone wants updates next Saturday, let me know. Yeah, right!
                          That was funny. I'm giving rep points for maintaining good humor and attitude under adverse circumstances.

Jack4Life: What will you do when all the other parents stand up and cheer and clap their hands in that odd, stiff manner that seems to be the vogue with that cheer stuff?

Comment

I see Jack4Life starring in another one of those commercials where the dad is in the stands watching his daughters dance recital but has his cell phone behind his wife's back paying attention to his favorite team. You know the game will be webcast, time to visit verizon to upgrade your phone offerings!
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                              I see Jack4Life starring in another one of those commercials where the dad is in the stands watching his daughters dance recital but has his cell phone behind his wife's back paying attention to his favorite team. You know the game will be webcast, time to visit verizon to upgrade your phone offerings!
                              Excellent idea! I just can't wait to watch all the jumping and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X