How About Dakota Wesleyan to the Summit League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About Dakota Wesleyan to the Summit League

It would be just as good as having that SDSU mens basketball team in the league. How about struggling to beat a NAIA team. Sounds like alot of improvement to me. Ha, Ha, Ha. The best thing for SDSU is that they don't play USD or you would be mighty embarrassed for that Jackass basketball team. Go ahead and keep dreaming about your basketball team because the nightmare has no end in sight. We'd be glad to accept your starters as part of the bench at the U. Maybe the water boys.

Where is my boy SD4Ever, He must have had a test to study for tonight. I am sure he would get a kick out of Dak Wes nearly taking one at Frost.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: How About Dakota Wesleyan to the Summit League

First of all even if the Jacks had lost last night it would not mean much. Early in the season upsets are common place. The U. of Michigan losing their first football game this season is an example. This was the Super Bowl for DWU
    I attended an NAIA college and the general competition at those schools is pretty intense. They also recruit good athletes. The problem I have with you Yote boy, is that this is the only level of competition you ever play. Most NAIA schools are every bit as good as Div II ibasketball. The Schilling kid who everyone seems to want the Jacks to go for has a brother on NWC team and he is also considering NWC. So we know that they get good athletes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      It would be just as good as having that SDSU mens basketball team in the league. How about struggling to beat a NAIA team. Sounds like alot of improvement to me. Ha, Ha, Ha. The best thing for SDSU is that they don't play USD or you would be mighty embarrassed for that Jackass basketball team. Go ahead and keep dreaming about your basketball team because the nightmare has no end in sight. We'd be glad to accept your starters as part of the bench at the U. Maybe the water boys.

Where is my boy SD4Ever, He must have had a test to study for tonight. I am sure he would get a kick out of Dak Wes nearly taking one at Frost.
      Dakota Wesleyan has precisely the same chance of joining the Summit League as USD does. Zero.

That was the snark. Here's the analysis, so anyone who refers to our team as "Jackasses" can stop reading now since this is going to be way over your little head: It's called an exhibition game. SDSU didn't even run any plays because (and this is key here for a USD fan heading into transition purgatory) Nagy didn't want CONFERENCE (that's c-o-n-f-e-r-e-n-c-e) foes to get the film. Nagy even said before the game, he doesn't care about the score. If you knew anything about SDSU basketball (and you don't), you'd know that our team relies on multiple sets on offense. Ask Boots about those. We handed him his rear end most of the time during the last 20 years. Todd Lickliter, head coach at Butler last year and Iowa this year, said after our game with Butler last year that SDSU has some of the most complex and innovative sets he's seen... and he said he's stealing a bunch of them for his team. And we didn't use ANY of them last night. It was pass and shoot, slightly more organized playground ball.

So.... you put 8 new players on the floor, add some NAIA referees who are uncomfortable with any physical contact between players, take away all set plays, add a zone defense from DWU (something you almost never see in D1 basketball... although USD runs it all the time in D2) and you've got a recipe for a close game, even with DWU. And as I mentioned, it's an exhibition game, so nobody cares.

So take your "jackass" back to D2football.com and enjoy watching your Coyotes lose to UNO this weekend. The off-season transition into FCS purgatory begins early for the Coyotes. Maybe you can spend your time boning up on the programs at Missouri Rolla, William Penn, and Upper Iowa, since that's who you're going to be seeing in the DakotaDump next year... that and Jonathan Dally and Ramses Barden's rear ends as they walk into the end zone over and over again (if you get Cal Poly to come up and play you, thus destroying their playoff chances.)
      Last edited by JimmyJack; 11-01-2007, 06:21 AM.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'll take a little smacking for that performance last night. I think a team of DI players should be able to go out and beat a team of DII NAIA players any given night with no offensive sets. If you have leadership and pride, talent takes care of the rest. Am I calling our guys out? I guess so. Am I overreacting? Probably, but I would like to see more than 6 wins this year and we can't count this one. Exhibition means just that and we exhibited the ability to barely beat DWU.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

"Jackasses?" Oh NO!

You cut me to the quick, Coyote Fan! Your cutting remarks have made me see the light. I now know that SDSU will never amount to anything... what were we thinking, thinking we could compete in D-I atletics?

I now bow down to the superior school that is the University of South Dakota. I renounce my allegiance to "Moo U" and will join forces with the superior school. You have better teams, better professors, and cuter girls on campus. I will now bleed red and white and will write a check to the Coyote Boosters.

And if you believed any of that for a minute, then I think you better look in the mirror to see the REAL "jackass"!
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Coyote Fan has finally realized that the long, long, long odds of USD getting an invite to the Summit as the title to this thread indicates he expects DWU to have as good of a chance, and there currently is a moratorium on teams moving to D-1. Independent He** for a long time.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Hmmm....Dakota Wesleyan would be a better addition to the Summit League than usd(d-1?).

DWU actually has wrestling and baseball programs, unlike the state's wannabe D-1 university...it's actually pretty sad that a NAIA school sponsors more sports than the state's supposed flagship university....

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I'll take a little smacking for that performance last night. I think a team of DI players should be able to go out and beat a team of DII NAIA players any given night with no offensive sets. If you have leadership and pride, talent takes care of the rest. Am I calling our guys out? I guess so. Am I overreacting? Probably, but I would like to see more than 6 wins this year and we can't count this one. Exhibition means just that and we exhibited the ability to barely beat DWU.
                You know I really respect that Jackmd. Instead of making excuses you are calling it very accurately. It would be one thing if you program hadn't been struggling for the past few years but considering that fact the DWU game has to be troubling exhibition or not. I have been totally calling out the USD football team lately so I am far from a total Coyote homer. When there are problems I call them out. I have Coyote Fans pissed at me right now but I would rather be honest with myself and sometimes take the road not as well traveled and take some critisism than to always take the homer approach. I appreciate the honesty.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

You know I really respect that Jackmd. Instead of making excuses you are calling it very accurately. It would be one thing if you program hadn't been struggling for the past few years but considering that fact the DWU game has to be troubling exhibition or not. I have been totally calling out the USD football team lately so I am far from a total Coyote homer. When there are problems I call them out. I have Coyote Fans pissed at me right now but I would rather be honest with myself and sometimes take the road not as well traveled and take some critisism than to always take the homer approach. I appreciate the honesty.
                  Oh, please. You've been as much of a homer as anybody. Your late-to-the-party criticism of your football program doesn't give you any more credibility when you criticize a basketball team you haven't ever seen play. The implication of most of your posts, of course, is that SDSU is failing in D1, but USD will succeed. What a joke.

Why don't you go post on your D2 board until your Coyotes have made the transition. I'm guessing that you won't be back here much next year because, and here's a bit of hard truth that you're going to have to wrap your mind around, it's going to be very difficult, particularly in men's basketball.

Your world-beating football team was supposed to make a seamless and painless transition into a position of power in FCS. Not so much. Now that meme will be transferred to your men's basketball team. But here's a little secret: The step up to D1 basketball is way BIGGER than for FCS football. And here's another little secret: The zone defense your coach favors doesn't get played much in D1 basketball... the players are just too good. And here's another: None of your current D2 players are D1 talents.

It's a hard truth. But the lesson of your football team is one that you'd better internalize or it's going to be a very painful five years for Coyote fans. No matter what you think, it's not an easy and seamless transition.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

May not be the right thread to post this but one of the writers for the Yankton papers sports section wrote that he had heard USD may be hosting the Summit League indoor track and field championships in the near future. Anyone else hearing this? I wasn't aware that USD was a DI institution yet and I don't believe the Summit League is adding DII schools.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      May not be the right thread to post this but one of the writers for the Yankton papers sports section wrote that he had heard USD may be hosting the Summit League indoor track and field championships in the near future. Anyone else hearing this? I wasn't aware that USD was a DI institution yet and I don't believe the Summit League is adding DII schools.
                      First of all, rep points to JackMD for posting this ridiculousness.

It never ceases to amaze me the crazy things that not only come out of people's mouth down in that part of the state but that these things actually get printed in a newspaper. Again I'm baffled but I'm far from surprised. Frankly it is really funny.

Comment

Caution on this one. I have not heard about USD hosting a Summit League Indoor meet but it is common in indoor track to have a meet at a facility that is not one of the participating school's facilities. I think the upcoming Summit League Indoor meet (2008) will be held in Illinois but it will not be at a conference school....I'm going to check on that and will come back and add to this post.

The Dakota Dome has its faults but for an indoor track facility, it's not bad and in some respects, is good. (One example of "good" is the pole vaulting facility.)

...added:
                        You can go to the Summit League's site and see that the 2008 Indoor Track and Field Championships will be hosted by Western Illinois but the meet will be in Sterling, IL (which, I believe is about an hour from Macomb). I will probably attend the meet. Here's the link to the Summit League page:
                        https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1283227

Note the Summit League holds basketball championships near member schools but I think the practice is to have a neutral court. Isn't Sioux Falls the site for the 2009 Basketball Championships?

I'm confident that if the Summit League actually decides to hold a league indoor track championship in the Dakota Dome, they'll have good cooperation in running the meet from USD's Head Coach, Dave Gottsleben, a four-year sprinter for the Jackrabbits 1972-1975...we were teammates three of those years...he's a 1975 SDSU grad and a class guy.

Comment

In order to clarify I will provide some context. The reporter was writing about the XC regional championship and USD today. He commented that along with it and perhaps a regional tournament in men's basketball (which is possible but unlikely with Winona and Metro in the region) USD wouldn't likely host and participate in any championships at the DI level. Then, he included a paragraph saying the he had heard the Summit League indoor track championship could be in Vermillion. He didn't directly say USD would participate but it was implied. Not a big deal but I think it does foster some of the assumptions of certain idividuals that USD is a lock for DI conference affiliation and we know that just isn't fact.

Comment

Working...
                          X