Summit League Basketball Media Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Basketball Media Event

On the Summit League website, they have a link to the conference call with all of the coaches from the Summit League. The media gets to ask questions also. Here is the link

http://audioevent.mshow.com/338601/?DB_OEM_ID=3900

You have to register, but just fill out the form and submit and it will let you listen to the conference call on demand. It actually starts out a little slow, nobody actually asks any questions, but over time the media starts asking decent questions.

A couple of things I learned listening is that the women's team at IPFW last year had the most victories in school history since going D-1, with 12 victories. I think our women had 12 victories by Christmas break.

I really enjoyed listening to the Oakland coaches. They sound like they don't want to travel to the Dakotas. They said that when OU was still D-2, they were in the Final 4 in WBB and had to play at Fargo and the crowd was crazy. OU said that they scheduled an away game with Georgia so that their team got use to playing in front of large crowds so when they travel to the Dakotas that they won't be intimidated by our large crowds.

Terry V. asked the Oral Roberts WBB coach what he thought of SDSU women's program. He said the first time SDSU hit his radar was two years ago when SDSU beat Oklahoma St. by 25 points at OSU. He spoke to the OSU coaches and they were suprised that SDSU could perform that well on the road. He also said that he is really glad that Vogel has graduated.

I'm still listening to the conference call and I'm one hour into it and SDSU coaches are next. The first 20 minutes are not very informative, but the last 40 minutes have been educational in learning about the teams in the Summit League.

Go State!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: Summit League Basketball Media Event

Well Terry V. has an article that summarizes the conference call

You wouldn't think that the Summit League basketball coaches media day teleconference would be a difficult assignment. But Argus Leader sportswriter Terry Vandrovec found out differently Wednesday. Here's his report:

After too little sleep and a rushed workout, I'm hunkering down for a two-hour marathon over the phone.
    I don't really even have any pressing questions to ask, but I do have two phones, a bottle of water and half of a blueberry muffin - this is more of an endurance challenge than a fact-finding mission.

9:59 a.m. - The conference call hasn't even started and I'm regretting not having speakerphone. Maybe I can find my daughter's Dora the Explorer headband.

10:08 a.m. - The Centenary women's coach says that every returning team should be better than it was last year. He also says that some days his team has no idea what it's doing. Surprisingly, there are no questions from the media.
    10:11 a.m. - No questions for the Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne folks, either. Hold the phone, somebody from Fargo chimes in wondering what expansion will do for the league. That was out of pity.

10:18 a.m. - Lots of inquiries for Indiana-Purdue Indianapolis men's coach Ron Hunter, whose team is the preseason favorite. He makes a good point about the returning conference members having to adjust to new teams and added travel.
    10:23 a.m. - Missouri-Kansas City men's coach Matt Brown is either a no-show or a low-talker. Wait, there he is. The women's coach is handing him the phone. I'm not kidding. My neck is killing me already, and I'm not a good left listener.

10:29 a.m. - Great news: We're about 20 minutes ahead of schedule already. North Dakota State's turn. It doesn't take long for new men's coach Saul Phillips to allude to recent wins at Wisconsin and Marquette, while women's coach Amy Ruley mentions old NCC titles. In more present issues, Phillips is not certain if the Bison are eligible for the NIT or not.

10:39 a.m. - The Oakland University women host Auburn, Florida State and West Virginia. Wait. Does that mean it's easier to travel to Detroit than Brookings? Men's coach Greg Kampe delivers the line of the day, speaking about NDSU guard Ben Woodside: "I hear your point guard is Superman. We're trying to track down some Kryptonite to take with us on that trip."
    10:47 a.m. - Kampe is already my favorite coach in the league. Instead of trading pleasantries, he asks a member of the media how he still has a job. Burn. He also claims that one of his players literally could not bench-press the bar (45 pounds) when he arrived on campus and is now throwing around 225.

10:56 a.m. - Oral Roberts men's coach Scott Sutton illustrates the benefit of tough non-conference schedules: His team was below .500 in out-of-league contests the past two seasons and yet went on to win the league title. (Of course, it didn't hurt having two 2,000-point scorers.) Meanwhile, the Oral Roberts women's coach says that South Dakota State - speaking of teams with good pre-conference schedules - first showed up on his radar after pasting Oklahoma State on the road two years ago.
    11:02 a.m. Getting hungry. Speak faster, southern folks. Ah, forget it: Muffin time.

11:11 a.m. SDSU's turn. As if being picked last in the league wasn't bad enough, men's coach Scott Nagy is introduced as Scott "Najy." Ouch. The Southern Utah coach does his best to cover the moderator's mistake by struggling to pronounce the name of one of his own players.
    To read the entire article click here

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...711010354/1002

Go State!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
    X