Close Northern State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Northern State

Bob Olson, Northern State University's athletic director, suggested at a state higher education forum in Aberdeen that SDSU's enrollment be capped. Apparently he and possibly others hope an unenlightened step that like that would steer more students to Aberdeen. Here's a better idea: Close Northern State. If NSU can't attract students on its own merit, the school is eating up financial resources that five other state universities could use.
    Last edited by Jacked_Up; 10-27-2007, 02:22 PM.
    This space for lease.

Re: Close Northern State

I concur and rep points have been awarded!

Step up NSU or step aside!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Couldn't agree more...About all that capping SDSU's enrollment would do is force students to out of state institutions. I am not real familiar with NSU and what they offer. SDSU engineering, ag, pharmacy, nursing etc. USD Lawyers and Dr's. DSU computers. What is NSU's longsuit? Would limiting SDSU help them anyway? What do they offer?

Comment

Thanks for the rep points, SuperB. I think they're my first. ... Historically, NSU was a teachers college. I think it's reached into some business areas and other programs in recent years in an attempt to gain more viability. But other than having the Barnett Center and a decent basketball team , the school is not known for anything. That's probably why so few students go there. ... As J4L says, about all capping enrollment at SDSU would do is send more students to states out of state. That's something South Dakota absolutely cannot afford to let happen. South Dakota already loses too many students to Minnesota, Nebraska and other neighboring states.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Thanks for the rep points, SuperB. I think they're my first. ... Historically, NSU was a teachers college. I think it's reached into some business areas and other programs in recent years in an attempt to gain more viability. But other than having the Barnett Center and a decent basketball team , the school is not known for anything. That's probably why so few students go there. ... As J4L says, about all capping enrollment at SDSU would do is send more students to states out of state. That's something South Dakota absolutely cannot afford to let happen. South Dakota already loses too many students to Minnesota, Nebraska and other neighboring states.
          Thanks for the info. If they offered majors that we had, they may have a point, but I don't see any ag majors, pharmacy students or engineers, etc going to NSU. I don't think limiting SDSU would do them any good. It would just force them to Iowa State, Neb or Minnesota.

Comment

Northern State was a teachers college but it hardly advertises at all until I had made my mind up to go to Black Hills State I didn't know Northern offered similar degrees.... NSU has a wonderful campus but Aberdeen is not a college town and other then the Barnett center a lot of people don't know much about the school. I thought they made a mistake going D-2 because they under fund the scholarships (most northern sun teams do) so they are hardly ever recognized any more they don't play the state schools or anything like that. I think closing NSU would be a mistake because it has a new football stadium and a very nice basketball arena and is the campus of boys state but I do think something needs to be done up there... The new president at BHSU has changed alot of things and BHSU has grown and has retained more people since doing so maybe NSU should go out and get somebody that wants to grow the college with out trying to hurt other schools....

Comment

Why should Northern close? It is just a small case of wishful thinking. No harm in that, do people say SDSU should close when we want to play schools like Maryland or UConn? No...they're just thoughts..we all have ideas about how we can improve our colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                Bob Olson, Northern State University's athletic director, suggested at a state higher education forum in Aberdeen that SDSU's enrollment be capped. Apparently he and possibly others hope an unenlightened step that like that would steer more students to Aberdeen. Here's a better idea: Close Northern State. If NSU can't attract students on its own merit, the school is eating up financial resources that five other state universities could use.
                I give that a ++++++++.
                Rep points have been awarded.

Comment

All one has to do is look at Sioux Falls and see why Northern is struggling:

NO ONE from Sioux Falls bothers going to Northern. SMSU is much more aggressive (and successful) than NSU in getting students from the SF area. (They'll likely get more benefit by Augie joining the NSIC than NSU will.)

Comment

Working...
                  X