Bad Idea from NSU: Cap Enrollment at SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Idea from NSU: Cap Enrollment at SDSU

Saw this in the Aberdeen American news. Moronic on so many levels and coming from the AD!

Enrollment cap debated

Forum member says move might bring more students to NSU
    By Russ Keen, American News Writer
    Published on Tuesday, October 23, 2007

If the state capped the number of students allowed to attend South Dakota State University in Brookings, maybe enrollment at Northern State University in Aberdeen and other public universities in the state would benefit.

That idea came Tuesday night from Bob Olson, Northern State's athletic director, at a public forum in Aberdeen on higher education in South Dakota.

A few states have capped enrollment at land-grant universities, said Tad Perry, executive director of the South Dakota Board of Regents.

“But I don't know of too many,” he said.

“The regents have talked about it” added Regents' President Harvey Jewett of Aberdeen. “But I don't think there's any sense it would work or benefit other schools.”

Land-grant universities were authorized by federal laws passed in the 1860s; the acts funded the universities by granting federally controlled land to states. SDSU is South Dakota's only land-grant university.

There's no guarantee that students denied admission to SDSU would go to another public university in South Dakota; they might just get mad and go elsewhere, Jewett said.

There are, however, indirect ways to cap enrollment, he said.

“Some schools raise their standards to cap enrollment,” Jewett said.

And the University of South Dakota in Vermillion is in the the process of doing just that, he said.

SDSU has more students than any other of the state's public universities. SDSU had a headcount of 11,706 students this fall and a full-time equivalent count of 9,722. The numbers are up 2.9 percent and 2.7 percent respectively.

NSU has a headcount of 2,555 and an equivalent of 1,802 full-time students this fall, for increases of 10.2 percent and 2.6 percent respectively.

Re: Bad Idea from NSU: Cap Enrollment at SDSU

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
    Saw this in the Aberdeen American news. Moronic on so many levels and coming from the AD!

Enrollment cap debated

Forum member says move might bring more students to NSU
    By Russ Keen, American News Writer
    Published on Tuesday, October 23, 2007

If the state capped the number of students allowed to attend South Dakota State University in Brookings, maybe enrollment at Northern State University in Aberdeen and other public universities in the state would benefit.

That idea came Tuesday night from Bob Olson, Northern State's athletic director, at a public forum in Aberdeen on higher education in South Dakota.

A few states have capped enrollment at land-grant universities, said Tad Perry, executive director of the South Dakota Board of Regents.

“But I don't know of too many,” he said.

“The regents have talked about it” added Regents' President Harvey Jewett of Aberdeen. “But I don't think there's any sense it would work or benefit other schools.”

Land-grant universities were authorized by federal laws passed in the 1860s; the acts funded the universities by granting federally controlled land to states. SDSU is South Dakota's only land-grant university.

There's no guarantee that students denied admission to SDSU would go to another public university in South Dakota; they might just get mad and go elsewhere, Jewett said.

There are, however, indirect ways to cap enrollment, he said.

“Some schools raise their standards to cap enrollment,” Jewett said.

And the University of South Dakota in Vermillion is in the the process of doing just that, he said.

SDSU has more students than any other of the state's public universities. SDSU had a headcount of 11,706 students this fall and a full-time equivalent count of 9,722. The numbers are up 2.9 percent and 2.7 percent respectively.

NSU has a headcount of 2,555 and an equivalent of 1,802 full-time students this fall, for increases of 10.2 percent and 2.6 percent respectively.
    Yeah, that's going to help Northern.

Instead of doing something to improve their own facilities, let's go after the one school in the state that seems to be doing things right, and attack them, then maybe someone will notice us.

Seriously, the jealousy flowing out of the other institutions in the state is just going to continue to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
      Yeah, that's going to help Northern.

Instead of doing something to improve their own facilities, let's go after the one school in the state that seems to be doing things right, and attack them, then maybe someone will notice us.

Seriously, the jealousy flowing out of the other institutions in the state is just going to continue to grow.

You're right on Coach. SDSU is the train that is pulling the SDBOR into the 21st century and there are a few of our state colleges like NSU that are afraid that the doors maybe a closin' and it is scaring the living crap out of them and the BOR..
      Wow, 1802 FTE's??? Isn't there a couple of high schools bigger than that in SD?

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

What a bad idea. Really bad. As for high schools, I believe both Rapid City schools and the three public SF schools have over 2000 students. Northern needs to quit worrying about SDSU and concentrate on their real competition, BHSU & DSU, in the public sector of SD.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Expect more bad ideas. Northern is in trouble.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Some may anger when I say this but, I believe there are already too many public universities in this state and to think that there used to be what, at least 1 or 2 more? I see peoples' point when they say you can never have too many educational oppurtunites, but couldn't we, with more efficiency, give those same oppurtunities with one or two less public institutions? Maybe I'm totally off on this.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
              Some may anger when I say this but, I believe there are already too many public universities in this state and to think that there used to be what, at least 1 or 2 more? I see peoples' point when they say you can never have too many educational oppurtunites, but couldn't we, with more efficiency, give those same oppurtunities with one or two less public institutions? Maybe I'm totally off on this.

IMO...You are right on.
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I have always felt we are spread too thin with having so many colleges for a less populated state. I know it is tough to close schools, like the issues at USD-S, but economically we could do so much more if there were less schools to support. It is evident that the schools are doing more and more with private funds that they raise themselves. I believe in Wyoming, they fund only one 4 year school and a few 2 year institutions. As things get tighter and tighter with state funding, the state will probably have to look at the number of schools we fund. There is too much redundancy in our upper education system.

Comment

I myself feel that economic developement will advance further with the six state assisted institutions than it would if some were closed. Education is what drives all new econimic development. Not everyone can drive to Sioux Falls for night classes. I think we need to invest more in higher education. Our wonderful one party state seems to have this notion that less government and smaller budgets are the way to go. WRONG. Public resources and private resources need to partner and then they both can grow. What if Dakota State had not ventured into the information systems technology? What kind of institution would it now be?

I have to add credit to Gov Janklow for doing so in working with CitiBank and in establishing this curriculm. Yes, he made a mistake in my opinion by closing down Springfield. His positives are visible even today even though I have never been a fan of the Former Gov.

Across the country many companies who are finding the tax burden more troublesome in other states are looking at the advantages in South Dakota, with no state income tax. Its wrong to start fighting amongst the big six, instead we need to work together with the BOR and get some more dough out of the legislature and work with the big employers in adjusting the course offerings.

Comment

Since we're throwing out ideas:

Merge NSU and DSU in their entirety into SDSU. The Aberdeen and Madison campuses operate as satellite SDSU campus. Other SDSU satellite campuses include Watertown, Huron, Pierre, Mitchell, Rapid City, Yankton, and Sioux Falls (in accordance with the statewide scope and the land-grant philosophy). Use distance learning technology extensively to get higher education to the greatest number of people possible.

Get serious about turning USD into a truly elite public liberal arts/professional university.

Merge BHSU and SDSM&T into South Dakota Technological University.

While we're at it, merge the junior college system called the Technical Institutes into the BOR system (specifically, SDSU) where it belongs.

You wind up with three higher education institutions in the state:
                    SDSU: Flagship university, dedicated to bringing higher education to all of the state's residents in accordance with the Land-Grant philosophy.
                    USD: Flagship university, dedicated to world-class liberal arts education.
                    SDTU: Focusing on high-level science and technology research and education.

(If you really want to get radical, you also merge BHSU and Tech into SDSU.)

Go have coffee, maybe a danish, and then start working on world peace in the afternoon.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I myself feel that economic developement will advance further with the six state assisted institutions than it would if some were closed.
                      I agree. North Dakota has 11 higher education institutions. We're lucky we only have six.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think capping enrollment at SDSU would just lead to more students attending college outside of South Dakota. NSU would be better off figuring out how to attract more students than in attempting to force students to go there, which just wouldn't work.

Comment

First of all a governor will never close a college.... Bill Janklow made Bon Homme county a democrat county when he closed the college in Springfield.... I don't think he has visited the county too many times since closing the college (except to check up on is almighty prison) and I don't blame him either..... I think combing BHSU and SDSM&T would be a great idea but they proposed this years back I was told and the only way it might of worked would of been to go D-I and then even a lot of donors and alum didn't like the idea (before SDSU went D-I)..... The two colleges that need the most attention are DSU and NSU.... DSU has pretty good enrollment numbers because of there technology department but other then that they don't have much... NSU I think the only thing that is keeping that school alive is the fact that the Barnett Center is there and it has a great campus..... Somebody told me the idea of making DSU and NSU juco's and make it cheaper and make it so you can get some kind of a scholarship of some type if you go there and do good and elect to go to SDSU, USD or BHSU; DSU I think it would work but NSU still has the Barnett Center and I don't think they want a JuCo team there..... The School of Mines you could close for all I care but I doubt that would happen, I think they need to promote themselves a little better I think by allowing some undergraduate courses could help there..... I was told that the board of regents tries at all possibilities to not double up majors at state universities (A little conflict with BHSU/NSU and SDSU/School of Mines)... this policy has advantages but I think there needs to be a few more exceptions.... USD needs to figure out if they want to be a sports junky college or that Princeton of the Prairie school..... when they figure that out I think they will know what to do.... Honestly though I think when the state decided to open up USDSU they basically said they want to close NSU and DSU... why add a tech school like atmosphere to a state school in the biggest city if you already have struggling universities?

Comment

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Northern's AD should be fired for speaking out of line if I was there President. Just b/c the students cannot go to SDSU, why would he assume they would want to go to their crappy school? Do they just want to stop all out of state students to come into SD to go to school and spend their money? What an idiot!

Did he forget that SDSU subsidizes all of the crappy little schools in South Dakota! Our Heff dollars (tuition) goes into a big BOR pool and then they decide who gets the money every year. We have the most students by far (over 1/3) so it looks like we build most of these schools building and programs. What we should do is have our State Reps and Senators’ push a bill through to have all Heff money (tuition) go back to the school from where the students go to and not to bunch it all up to subsidize the smaller schools!

Go SDSU!

Comment

Good point. And someone decided to not put one in Sioux Falls. O wait....now we have USDSU...woo hoo!

Comment

Working...
                              X