Predictions for Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predictions for Saturday

Huge game for the Jacks and Cal Poly this weekend. Any predictions? Sounds like field conditions could definately be an issue.

Re: Predictions for Saturday

Originally posted by Bisondad View Post
    Huge game for the Jacks and Cal Poly this weekend. Any predictions? Sounds like field conditions could definately be an issue.
    SDSU's offense keeps rolling and the defense keeps Cal Poly relatively in check. Whoever doesn't turn the ball over will win. Home field makes the difference, and Parker Douglass will be in top form.

SDSU 34
    Cal Poly 21

10,850 in attendance.

Meanwhile, NDSU's "little guys in green" beat dopey Brewster and his hapless Gophers 31-17.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I agree with JimmyJack although I think the score may be a little lower due to field conditions. Here's my prediction by quarter.

1st quarter: SDSU 7, Poly 0
      2nd Quarter: SDSU 7, Poly 7
      3rd Quarter: SDSU 24, Poly 7
      Final: SDSU 24, Poly 14

Comment

I think SDSU pulls out a close one late in the fourth on a Parker Douglass field goal.

SDSU 24
        Cal Poly 21

Go State !!!
        “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

I think if SDSU can get up early and lead going into halftime, they'll win.

Halftime 14-10

End 27-24

Comment

This isn't your last two years' Poly team. Defense is good, but not great. Their offense is multi-dimensional this year, and we can't key on one to two players to shut them down.

We may actually have the better D this year. This will be a shoot-out for State, similar to the Ga Southern game. Poly MUST WIN if they are to make the play-offs. That motivation, revenge for our upset last year, I think Poly pulls out a tight GWFC statement win. Poly Ponies 44, SDSU "blowing smoke out our ears" Rabbits 41.

Hope I'm wrong, and I'll be perched in front of my computer cheering on the Jacks!

Comment

SDSU 34, Cal Poly 28

I'll be at the tailgating @ 4:00

Comment

Weather takes its toll on the field...which takes its toll on the scoreboard:

Poly 9
                SDSU 6
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I'm predicting a fairly high scoring game where Cal Poly doubles the number of passing TD's allowed by the SDSU defense by getting two through the air and a couple Noble runs on the ground.

Meanwhile Berry throws TD's to Harris, Doblar, and Wagner, Koenig gets a red zone score from the 5 and Aanonson returns a 4th quarter punt return for another. Douglass tacks on the final score mid-way through the 4th to put the game out of reach.

Jackrabbits win 38-28.

Comment

Cal Poly has played a weak schedule all season including , unfortunately, UC Davis which has major injury and re-building problems this year. They got 704 total yards offense and 63 points against the Aggies but we had almost no coverage from defensive backs. Ramses Barden is 6'6" and a great receiver which they combine with an option game to confuse coverage. It is difficult to predict the outcome because SDSU has played a tougher schedule. They do have the big prize to play for, though - the playoffs. Where do you get those kickers?

Comment

I won't say this often, Bisondad, but I think I speak for many SDSU fans when I say while I don't have a prediction, I'll be cheering my brains out for the "little guys in green."

OK, fine ... a prediction:

NDSU 18
                      Minnesota 17

The Bison win it on a late two-point conversion. Then Brewster can sut up about 1-AA football. He wants a national championship? Hell, he should focus on being the best team in the Dakotas and Minnesota first. He'd rather play in Florida to help recruiting? Like losing to Florida Atlantic, I think it was, as the Gophs did earlier this year? Please. His team is a joke right now. That being said, though, maybe the way Minnesota lost to Northwestern last week willl get it focused.

And as for the Jacks, I really don't know how to get a feel for this game, so I'll make something up:

SDSU 27
                      Poly 14

The field might keep it lower-scoring than that, though, depending on the weather. I think Mud Bowl II would benefit us, probably, helping negate a potential disadvantage in speed/downfield passing. Or it could do the opposite. What do I know?

Go, Jacks! Go, Bison!
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by GoAgs72 View Post
                        Cal Poly has played a weak schedule all season including , unfortunately, UC Davis which has major injury and re-building problems this year. They got 704 total yards offense and 63 points against the Aggies but we had almost no coverage from defensive backs. Ramses Barden is 6'6" and a great receiver which they combine with an option game to confuse coverage. It is difficult to predict the outcome because SDSU has played a tougher schedule. They do have the big prize to play for, though - the playoffs. Where do you get those kickers?
                        Thanks for weighing in on the Cal Poly-UCD game. I would not be less than giddy if SDSU had racked up that much offense. As far as Kickers, Coach Stig has believed in having good special teams. I guess its something Coach Stig and Coach Daly have recruited for and we seemed to have found three in the past 15 years or so Gorden, Vinateri and now Douglas. I probably am leaving someone out.

I don't how we will do next year without Parker Douglas. Hopefully the next guy will be as half as good as Douglas. Douglas has a great deal of guts and even has a few tackles on kickoffs. Hopefully he will have a great day in Davis.

Comment

I'm going 24 - 17 Jacks. I know Poly scored a bunch on Davis, but I think Davis was so injury riddled that it wasn't a very good indicator of how good Poly is or how bad Davis is. SDSU's D will definately slow down that offense, and the weather may slow it down even more. I do think it will not be decided until the 4th qtr. Should be an exciting game! Good luck Jacks!

Comment

if the weather continues to be a factor, turnovers will be a huge factor. Option attacks and bad weather don't usually make good bedfellows.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Barden scares the hell out of me. The only team we've faced this season who really threw it around, ended up really throwing it around on us (UNI). Our secondary is young, albeit very athletic. Barden has played well against us every year. This year he seems to have turned it up a notch to "3rd round draft pick" level. He's big, he's fast and he's averaging close to 120 a game (if memory serves me). He scares me more than any running back from Poly. Our d-line will keep the running game in check. They proved that against GSU who is much better at the run than Poly. However, even against GSU, there were WR's streaking down the field with an uncomfortable level of regularity (think to the 3 overthrows in the second half where a WR had 5 yards of space and just couldn't get to the ball).

I expect the Jacks to be more prepared against the pass, however, against Poly than GSU. I think against GSU you go into the game stopping the run and making them pass to beat you. Against Poly, you have to play it straight up. You hope you can stop the run without having to sell out your safeties or your corners. We have to hope our d-line and backers can stop the run out of our base formation (or as close to the base as we get given Poly's different offensive scheme). That allows the secondary to cheat a step or two to Barden which will hopefully minimize any threat of him blowing down the hash mark with nothing but a 10 yard cushion behind him.

As for the field conditions, if the rain we have received in the greater Milwaukee area is any indication, I doubt the field can dry out by game time. My yard is as saturated as it's ever been. There's no way that thing could dry out (even with the use of helicopters) by tomorrow night. We'll see if that helps or hurts us. I think we have less of a chance of having the weather effect any turnovers with our offensive style and than Poly with their offense.

No matter what, it should be a great game (as they all have been between these two teams). I wish I could make it back. I'm not positive, but I think my client may not think attending an SDSU football game is the best way to prep for trial on Monday. D@mn work committments.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X