ORU Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORU Scandal

Looks like one of our Summit League members has a scandal brewing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/...oberts_scandal

Re: ORU Scandal

wow. The things people think they can get away with(if true). I never realized how new Oral Roberts was either - that is interesting.

Comment

Unbelievable!

You sure hope it isn't true for the school's sake.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Good old Oral Roberts. Claimed he saw a 900-foot-tall Jesus who asked him to please open a hospital, the City of Faith... donors responded generously and it opened in 1981. In 1987, God appeared to him and asked him to raise $8 million for medical missionaries (free med school tuition) or God would "call him home". $9.1 million came of that. And the only home Oral was ever called to is a multi-million dollar mansion in Beverly Hills. Odd. During another of his frequent chats with Jesus (perhaps Oral just voice-dials "Jesus"... try it on your phone!) the son of God asked Roberts to cure cancer. No word on how that's going. A research hospital would help with that. Oh, wait, that hospital thing? Closed in 1989.

Yes, just a humble man of God.

Don't worry about Oral's son, now ORU President Richard Roberts. God has provided him with a defense to the charges.

Read it here:

http://chronicle.com/news/article/31...gher-authority

No word on whether Richard called God or the other way around. Perhaps they exchanged text messages on their iPhones.

Richard: Yo God, sup?
        God: What's the 411?
        Richard: Being sued.
        God: I knew that. I'm God.
        Richard: LOL
        God: Tell them I said to say this...
        Richard: CUL8R
        Last edited by JimmyJack; 10-06-2007, 08:18 AM.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Roflmao!

Superbunny
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The Lord works in mysterious ways

Comment

I just received a vision!

If we don't get a new football stadium for SDSU, my mommy will call me home for supper!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I had the same vision. Did yours come to you in the form of a 900-foot bunny?
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

YEAH!

Isn't that weird!
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The things about this scandal that bother me is that ORU is a member of the Summit, in fact one of the stronger ones for Mens BB. If as the article suggests, this scandal could not only affect the Oral Roberts Ministries, but also force the ORU to close their doors, then that has a large impact on the Summit League.

I believe Richard Roberts was on the former Mid Contintent visiting team, that went to NDSU. I recall him making a comment about being impressed with NDSU. I sure he would have made the same comment had he visited Brookings instead.

I dont know much about ORU as an institution, but apparently they have done some things right. Talking to God, to me is a form of prayer, but if that conversation is used to manipulate others, then you are probably are setting yourself up for failure in the long run.

Comment

When I was getting my MLS at the University of Oklahoma in 68-69 I decided to drive over to ORU since it was reputed to have "the library of tomorrow". I was stopped upon entering and asked if I was saved. I replied "I don't think so", and was then restricted to the prayer tower.

My girlfriend and I were the only people up there as the sun set and I remember a curtain opening while Oral's recorded voice boomed: "Welcome to Tulsa, the prettiest city in the world." Creepy, and to think ORU is one of the Summit's premier institutions. Does anyone think that's more of a quality show than the UxD's?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                        ...and to think ORU is one of the Summit's premier institutions. Does anyone think that's more of a quality show than the UxD's?
                        A thought-provoking question, Grizzled_Jack. If pressed to answer, I'd try to dodge it, saying something like I'm only interested in the athletic competition with ORU and they're a darned good opponent in several sports. [In other words, I think we catch your meaning and I'm not arguing with you.]

Comment

When I was getting my MLS at the University of Oklahoma in 68-69 I decided to drive over to ORU since it was reputed to have "the library of tomorrow". I was stopped upon entering and asked if I was saved. I replied "I don't think so", and was then restricted to the prayer tower.

My girlfriend and I were the only people up there as the sun set and I remember a curtain opening while Oral's recorded voice boomed: "Welcome to Tulsa, the prettiest city in the world." Creepy, and to think ORU is one of the Summit's premier institutions. Does anyone think that's more of a quality show than the UxD's?
                          Lets consider ourselves lucky as the Summit membership could have included Liberty U, but they may have been be too east coast for consideration.

I wonder how separate the University is from the Ministries. Apparently there is not much as from the news stories, the two enties sound as though they are comingled sort of like cash accounts. The board of control or regents seem to be all good marching soldiers. At least with USD, and UND they have boards to report to and budget wise are controlled. After this ORU scandal is resolve, there just might be an opening for USD and/or UND.

Grizzled Jack, no wonder you are grizzled when you been roughed up by the man Oral, himself and gosh all you wanted to do was check out the library facilites. Not a good way to evangelize. Most religious institutions can gain converts by operating very secular and making the institution very open to the non believers who want to learn. Not good at all if this is how ORU operates.

Comment

I was only shown the skyline of Tulsa by the virtual Oral, not the virtuous Oral. The prayer tower was pretty tall but no where as big as a 900 foot Jesus.

Still as I remember. Like a shortened Space Needle without the monorail:

http://www.oru.edu/aboutoru/prayertower.php
                            Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I was only shown the skyline of Tulsa by the virtual Oral, not the virtuous Oral. The prayer tower was pretty tall but no where as big as a 900 foot Jesus.

Still as I remember. Like a shortened Space Needle without the monorail:

http://www.oru.edu/aboutoru/prayertower.php
                              Yep it does look like a space needle, without mono rail. Hardly rivals the campanile.

Comment

Working...
                              X