Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU vs USD in Sx Falls???

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/710040307

Interesting article in the Argus Leader today about the future of Howard Wood Field. Looks like there's some talk of the Sioux Falls Sport Authority attempting to bring a Jackrabbit/Coyote game to the field. I understand we'll play again someday, but I really hope we never play in Sioux Falls. First of all, it's not big enough (they address this in the article); and second of all, play it in Brookings, Brookings and then Vermillion (or Brookings/Vermillion).

AD Joel Neilson also talks about bringing Coyote events (football, etc.) to Sioux Falls while they move to DI. Can someone tell me where I've heard that being done before???

Re: SDSU vs USD in Sx Falls???

There is also a coulpe good quotes in there from Dr. Oien:

Fred Oien, athletic director at SDSU, said several issues need to be resolved before planning a game here. SDSU, now moving to Division I athletics, has football set through 2010, he said. USD, just starting the jump to Division I, wouldn't be in a position now to help the SDSU schedule, he said. "They will be someday," Oien said.

A bigger issue is seating. SDSU drew 14,000 and 15,000 to its last two games in Brookings. Howard Wood fits 10,000. Oien can't see temporary seating making up the difference. "I can't imagine that there are 5,000 bleacher seats that are portable anywhere in our state, to be honest," he said.

Comment

I personally hated when the Jacks played at Howard Wood the one time they did....against UC Davis I believe a couple years ago. The track around the perimeter just makes the stands to far away from the field.

I hope the Jacks never play there again.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
        I personally hated when the Jacks played at Howard Wood the one time they did....against UC Davis I believe a couple years ago. The track around the perimeter just makes the stands to far away from the field.

I hope the Jacks never play there again.
        Agreed. Howard Wood is a lousy place to play.

Why would we consider a neutral site game when we can get 5,000 more people in our own stadium? And, we can schedule Texas State, a team many of our fans have never heard of, and fill the place up with SDSU fans. We don't need a "rivalry" game, particularly early in the season, to draw huge crowds. Our schedule through 2011 reflects that reality.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I was just thinking about what JimmyJack said about drawing 14,000-15,000 for Texas St./SFA. He's right, most of our fans have never heard of these teams and more and more people are showing up to watch the Jacks play football. What do you the first game against USD will draw at CAS when we play them again in the future? CAS holds what, 16,000? It's been said that they won't turn anyone away. Is 20,000 or more a possibility vs. USD in the future? I would think it would be.

Moving to DI has done great things for SDSU and the State of South Dakota.

Comment

There is no way SDSU would even consider playing there unless Sanford said you play in SF and I build you a 400 million dollar stadium or something in the area of that. The reason you would play a nuetral game is to cut the cost of traveling.... A corporate player would pay all of that and SDSU would get a paycheck and not have to pay anything the problem is SDSU would make more money playing a one and one with USD then to play a nuetral game because the travel cost to Vermillion wouldn't be much and SDSU would make way more in a game every other year then to take half of a 10,000 gate.... If you say it takes 4,000 dollars to travel to vermillion it would mean if SDSU average 11,000 every other year at home they would still be making more money

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
              http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/710040307

Interesting article in the Argus Leader today about the future of Howard Wood Field. Looks like there's some talk of the Sioux Falls Sport Authority attempting to bring a Jackrabbit/Coyote game to the field. I understand we'll play again someday, but I really hope we never play in Sioux Falls. First of all, it's not big enough (they address this in the article); and second of all, play it in Brookings, Brookings and then Vermillion (or Brookings/Vermillion).

AD Joel Neilson also talks about bringing Coyote events (football, etc.) to Sioux Falls while they move to DI. Can someone tell me where I've heard that being done before???
              Trying to reach that SF market. When we did it, it brought only moderate success. I know we will play USD again someday, but when we do, they can come to Brookings since we have already paid our dues and then we can talk home/home after that. Do you really think that a game in Brooking w/ USD will bring the numbers that I am reading in this thread? Maybe the first game or two, but after that I don't know. Let's keep our schedule full so we don't have to play them for a long time...

Comment

I could see a 1 and 1 or a 2 and 1 and have USD move there 1 game to Sioux Falls in attempt to draw 12,000+ if you figure that renovated Howard Wood would hold 12,000 the extra 2-4 thousand tickets would pay for the 4-5 rent but then again why would USD want to move there home game in a 2-1 to a nuetral field? I don't see a USD=SDSU game any time soon and why would USD move one of there home games outdoors?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  why would USD move one of there home games outdoors?
                  good point and one that is often overlooked. USD wouldn't probably want to play in Sioux Falls any more than SDSU.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                    Do you really think that a game in Brooking w/ USD will bring the numbers that I am reading in this thread? Maybe the first game or two, but after that I don't know. Let's keep our schedule full so we don't have to play them for a long time...
                    I do. 20,000 might be pushing it but I don't doubt for a minute that we would shatter our current attendance records. On the other hand, if the NDSU game wasn't so late in the year I think that record would be shattered this season (and it still could be depending on the weather, and game build up). Realize we are drawing 15,000 for teams the casual fan hasn't heard of and only getting about 100 fans of our opponents (Texas St, SFA, UCA, UCD) to attend the game. I would bet that when we set the record for attendance that more than 3000 of the fans were USD fans that made the trip up. You can't tell me we wouldn't or won't get that many USD or NDSU fans in the future. If we continue to draw 15,000 SDSU fans to home games, attendance in the 18,000 (if CAS can hold it) range will become the norm for our games with our regional rivals.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

unless it's the only way they can get a team to play them.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

By the way, my favorite quote of the article is Nielsen stating that bringing in additional bleachers would allow them to "build it as big as possible without ruining the aesthetics." Since when did Howard Wood have any aesthetics? Is he worried too many bleachers will ruin everyone's view of the Arena?

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          I do. 20,000 might be pushing it but I don't doubt for a minute that we would shatter our current attendance records. On the other hand, if the NDSU game wasn't so late in the year I think that record would be shattered this season (and it still could be depending on the weather, and game build up). Realize we are drawing 15,000 for teams the casual fan hasn't heard of and only getting about 100 fans of our opponents (Texas St, SFA, UCA, UCD) to attend the game. I would bet that when we set the record for attendance that more than 3000 of the fans were USD fans that made the trip up. You can't tell me we wouldn't or won't get that many USD or NDSU fans in the future. If we continue to draw 15,000 SDSU fans to home games, attendance in the 18,000 (if CAS can hold it) range will become the norm for our games with our regional rivals.
                          I don't know how on earth you get many more than 16,000 into Coughlin. When there are 15,400 like last Saturday, pretty much all of the seats are full, and people are lined up two or three deep along the fences. They brought in temporary bleachers, but those were full, too. Where are you going to put 2,000 more people?
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I don't know how on earth you get many more than 16,000 into Coughlin. When there are 15,400 like last Saturday, pretty much all of the seats are full, and people are lined up two or three deep along the fences. They brought in temporary bleachers, but those were full, too. Where are you going to put 2,000 more people?
                            Agreed, that is why I questioned whether or not CAS could hold 18,000. Frankly, I don't know how they ever got 16,000 plus in order to set the record. However, there were some pockets of empty reserved seats on Saturday that you could see from sitting on the east side (they were pretty obvious so they must have been fairly large). I think you could also squeeze another large chunck of fans in if you had ushers working the aisles in the GA sections. There are always empty spots that people could move into that normally go unfilled because seated fans don't want to slide down or standing fans don't want to look for spots and obstruct people's view after kick off.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I'll admit it was packed in, but there was some room in the NE and SE sides of the endzones. There was also a little room along the fence on the visitors side (albeit standing sucks, never the less there was some room).

The real solution (and one talked about frequently on here) is a larger stadium... If you build it they will come.

Comment

Working...
                              X