Possible new NDSU arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new NDSU arena

We've been trying to do something about our terrible arena for years now, and it looks like we might be one step closer. The tax that built the Fargodome brought in more money than expected(about $10-15M more) and the city is looking into using it to build a basketball arena attached to the Fargodome. The current proposal calls for $10M from the city, $10M from NDSU and $10M from private sources(naming rights, etc.). The first set of drawings just came in and were published in the Fargo Forum. The plan calls for a 6,000 seat BB arena that can also seat 6,400 for concerts, and 3,600 for basketball camps with 3 courts set up. We're a little concerned with the size and some of hope expansion plans are built into the design. Since you guys have one of the best BB facilities in the region, I wondered what you thought of it. BTW, we still plan to renovate the BSA regardless of whether this gets built or not. It will affect how much money goes into the arena portion of the BSA, though.

Story:
    Dome designs revealed

Pictures:
    Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Blueprints

Re: Possible new NDSU arena

The way you guys support football and how well your basketball team has handled the transition I would like to think that 6,000 is a little on the small side. As far as building it as part of the fargo dome there is always the concern with parking. If you have a football game the same day as a basketball game. I don't know if they use the fargo dome for conventions or anything like that but parking again could become an issue there.

Comment

The capacity of a basketball arena has been discussed at length on here before. I'll say it again as I've said before, the new basketball stadiums going up recently are all in the 6,000-7,000 seat range. Gonzaga and UNI to name a couple...both of which have opened withing the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        The capacity of a basketball arena has been discussed at length on here before. I'll say it again as I've said before, the new basketball stadiums going up recently are all in the 6,000-7,000 seat range. Gonzaga and UNI to name a couple...both of which have opened withing the last few years.
        The old college basketball coach at my alma mater once told me that one of the worst things for a basketball program is to not be able to sell out your own arena. I think that is a factor with these new facilities. When a program starts to turn away people (SDSU womens BB) because they are out of tickets it only increases everyone opinion of the program and their desire to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          The goal these days seems to be to make every seat valuable. Rather than a half-full 12,000 seat arena, fill up a 6,000-seater and make people appreciate their access more. If the perceived value of each seat is more, obviously you can charge more for the privilege of keeping that spot.

By the way, that's a nice looking facility. The curviness of the arena softens the brick-like Fargodome contours.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I would be curious to to know it the proposed new arena would eliminate the Fargo dome as a potenial host for the Summit League Tournament. Not that hosting this one event would kill the proposal.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
              I would be curious to to know it the proposed new arena would eliminate the Fargo dome as a potenial host for the Summit League Tournament. Not that hosting this one event would kill the proposal.
              It was brought up when this idea was first proposed. The understanding is that, as long as NDSU plays 51% or more of its home games in the addition, the main floor can be used for the tourney in its basketball configuration. It's possible that NDSU could play one or two games each year on the main floor if ticket demand for a particular game is deemed high enough, but most expect a game there to be a rarity.

Comment

Overbuilding has its problems. As others have said, if it is too easy to get a ticket, people don't care as much. People can get a "maybe I'll go, maybe I won't", and not get off the couch. But if people have to face the possibility that they just might not get a ticket, that motivates people. Wall Drug sells nickel coffee. You can get free coffee anywhere, but nickel coffee, that's special.

The other is that even a really good crowd seems like a bad crowd in a half-full arena. It dampens the energy. The NSIC games played in the Metrodome feel like playing in a tomb. The same crowds would have a much more different energy in a NSIC-sized stadium.

The ability to expand is, however, a good thing. It's a balance - you want it small enough that it's full, but not so small that you are turning away large numbers of people.

Comment

Good discussion. I say build it at 6,000 with the possibility to expand it to 8-10,000.

Just wondering how many does Frost hold? I haven't been there but from the pictures it looks like a fabulous arena.

Comment

It used to hold around 8000-9000 but recent upgrades to chairback seating has since diminished the capacity to around 6500. That is close to what the attendance number was for our two WNIT games last March. Both games packed the house to capacity. We might be able to hit 7000 if we paid off the fire marshall.

Comment

I by no means think that they should build a 10,000 seat arena but I think 7,500 would be perfect it isn't too big for NDSU and isn't too small for concerts or other events that would be held in the arena.

Comment

I find it ironic that Fargo has the Fargodome, and then off taxes from the dome, they come up with enough money (with the help of NDSU and private donors) to possibly build ANOTHER nice facility. All the while, Sioux Falls is still doing the 'da dee da dee da' thing with the current arena and it has nothing comparable to whats in Fargo. What the heck is going on up there that Sioux Falls can't seem to figure out?

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                          I find it ironic that Fargo has the Fargodome, and then off taxes from the dome, they come up with enough money (with the help of NDSU and private donors) to possibly build ANOTHER nice facility. All the while, Sioux Falls is still doing the 'da dee da dee da' thing with the current arena and it has nothing comparable to whats in Fargo. What the heck is going on up there that Sioux Falls can't seem to figure out?
                          Sioux Falls has it under control they think that renovating a stadium for hs football and a track meet or 2 is more important....

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                            Massive, massive growth. The Fargodome tax is set to run 20 years(it expires at the end of 2008). Over the two decades, it's raised enough money to pay off the initial $48M plus interest, a $6.5M lobby addition, add videoboards and suites worth $4.5M, create a escrow fund large enough to basically replace every piece of equipment in the Dome and cover other expenses for the next 40 years, allow the city to siphon off $10M for street repairs(with voters' consent), and still have $10M left over for this proposal. That was one hell of a successful 1/2 cent sales tax.

Comment

JB22,
                              I know you were joking, but the situations are quite a bit different. Everyone needs to remember that Howard Wood is NOT owned by the city of Sioux Falls. I don't think anyone said that the Fargo school district was involved in any of the facilities being discussed.

For now anyway, HW is a school facility. Why should the school district build a facility that they can't possibly fund or fill the stands for any games. And as for track meets, give yourself 20 lashes with a wet noodle for stating two events. If I remember correctly, they had three events. In July.

None of the above should be taken to think that I believe SF does not need a new event center. It is long over due.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X