Enrollment guesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enrollment guesses?

The Regents are set to announce enrollment figures on Tuesday. I hear SDSU is in great shape (one administrator has said we "are going to blow the doors off of the place") but I haven't heard any numbers.

Last year we were at 11,377. Anybody care to guess this year's enrollment? Closest to the actual number gets rep points from me.

I'll start us out: 11,750.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Enrollment guesses?

I'll take 11,946. A 5% increase.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

A wise guy with a spanish sounding name once told me that its all about the FTE's not necessarily the number, but I'll take my shot and say a 3.5% increase to 11,775.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        A wise guy with a spanish sounding name once told me that its all about the FTE's not necessarily the number, but I'll take my shot and say a 3.5% increase to 11,775.
        That's true. These head count numbers are just for fun.

SDSU does well in FTEs, too, with a larger percentage of full-time students than other SD higher education institutions. So SDSU's FTE margin over other state universities is generally higher than the head count margin.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          That's true. These head count numbers are just for fun.

SDSU does well in FTEs, too, with a larger percentage of full-time students than other SD higher education institutions. So SDSU's FTE margin over other state universities is generally higher than the head count margin.
          Excellent point that should not be lost in the headcount debate. Our FTE's generally increase with our enrollment number, not always the case for other institutions.

Heck, I'll be the first one to throw it out there - 12,001 students enrolled at SDSU this year.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

SDSU is also great at retainment (something my school isn't so good at)

Comment

I'm going with 12080

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Also known as retention. SDSU was at 80 percent. BSHU: 54 percent.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Also known as retention. SDSU was at 80 percent. BSHU: 54 percent.
                  54% is a stretch I think its more like 50%-51%

Comment

Joeboo, you do a great job of making me laugh. I wonder why BHSU doesn't have good retention?

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      I'll take 11,946. A 5% increase.
                      Just a 'titch to high I think. Try 11,920. (Actually want to squeeze between 11,775 and 11,946!)

GO JACKS!!

Comment

54% is a stretch I think its more like 50%-51%
                        You're right, joeboo, it's 50 percent.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

And the winner is... JimmyJack who was off by 44 students. Nice job, JimmyJack... oh, wait, that's me. Sadly, I can't give myself the rep points I promised to the winner. But I definitely have a heightened sense of self-worth.

Regents released enrollment figures this morning:

Headcount:

SDSU: 11,706 (11,377 last year, +329)
                          USD: 9,243 (8,746 last year, +497)
                          BHSU: 4,004 (3,896 last year, +108)
                          DSU: 2,570 (2,439 last year, +131)
                          NSU: 2,555 (2,319 last year, +236)
                          SDSMT: 2,070 (2,124 last year -54)

But headcount isn't the most useful measure of the relative size of institutions. Full-time-equivalent numbers tell you how many of those students in the headcount are taking a full load of classes. More FTE = more students actually pursuing a degree. There, SDSU's lead widens considerably:

FTE

SDSU: 9,721.8 (+260 over last year)
                          USD: 6,797.5 (+193.2)
                          BHSU: 2,931.3 (-18.7)
                          DSU: 1,514.1 (-12.0)
                          NSU: 1,802.1 (-48.1)
                          SDSMT: 1,745.6 (-6.3)

By that measure, USD's headcount includes more part-time students.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Decent growth in both total number and FTE's. Dr. Chicoine made it pretty clear that 12-13,000 was a feasible number for the immediate future. Just don't have the staff or facilities in Brookings to grow much more than that for the immediate future.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Decent growth in both total number and FTE's. Dr. Chicoine made it pretty clear that 12-13,000 was a feasible number for the immediate future. Just don't have the staff or facilities in Brookings to grow much more than that for the immediate future.
                              And given the shrinking pool of high school students, any growth at this point is pretty remarkable.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X