Hobo Day Traditions and Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo Day Traditions and Memories

Over on the Hobo Day Attendance thread Doc posted an entry about Hobo Day's origins and traditions that I think merits a thread of its own so I have starte this one hoping to read about some great memories and hopefully some photographs.

Originally posted by McNeese72 View Post
    Okay guys, now I'm curious.

Explain Hobo Day to me. What all is involved when you have Hobo Day? How did it start? What do you all you guys do?

I got a feeling it is one of those fun traditional things.

When is Hobo Day next season?

Doc
    Here is a link which tells a bit about the origins of Hobo Day as the SDSU Homecoming:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Tr...oboDayHistory/

The evolution of Hobo Day and some of the changes it has gone through over the years are quite interesting. The annual parade has gone through numerous changes over the years and, in my opinion, is not as good as it was when I was a kid (but then, nothing else is either). I think that at one time the parade was a far bigger event than football. I grew up within a few miles of Brookings and never even considered attending the football game until I was an SDSU student but I hated to miss a parade. In fact, I was a parade participant for nine consecutive years. In the first four I marched and played in my high school’s marching band. In the next five I dressed as a hobo and handed out candy and even a few stuffed toys to little kids on the parade route.

One of the interesting things about the parade when I was a kid was the mix of the parade floats themselves. It had the usual elaborate floats covered with brightly colored materials such as balloons, streamers, and other things. On the opposite side of the coin, there were numerous conveyances built by groups of students. They were usually built from ancient, but still running automobiles. Platforms, outhouses, belching smoke, dragging “anything”, and many, many students (far greater than the original capacity of the automobile) were hallmarks of these parade entries. They were almost always ugly and loud but a true tradition of Hobo Day. Perhaps someone has a photo or two that they can add to this thread. One thing not mentioned in the article above was also a frequent tradition on these vehicles, the ethanol containing beverage.

Doc, you are right. It is one of those traditional things that have been a lot of fun over the decades. I suspect that this topic will generate enough written memories to merit a thread of its own.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: Hobo Day Traditions and Memories

The Hobo Mobile Homes were the best part of the parade for me.

Well, that and cheering for all of the bands, and heckling the politicians, of course . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      The Hobo Mobile Homes were the best part of the parade for me.

Well, that and cheering for all of the bands, and heckling the politicians, of course . . .
      When I was a kid standing on the southwest corner of Sixth and Medary, one of those Hobo Mobile Homes came around the corner too fast and all three stories of it fell over right in front of us. I can still recall the thwack as some poor young woman's head smacked the pavement right in front of me. That was the beginning of the end of those jalopies.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here are some pics for last years parade.

More can be seen here

And I found a picutre of the rooter king, granted this one is old.

Other old photos including some from Hobo Day can be seen here

I'm hoping Doc finds this here, It kind of goes with his posts in the attendance thread.
        Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          When I was a kid standing on the southwest corner of Sixth and Medary, one of those Hobo Mobile Homes came around the corner too fast and all three stories of it fell over right in front of us. I can still recall the thwack as some poor young woman's head smacked the pavement right in front of me. That was the beginning of the end of those jalopies.
          OK, now that was a downer. But as I've said on other occasions, "it's all in good fun until someone gets hurt."
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have located a couple of snapshots showing the contrast in styles of entries during the Hobo Day Parade. I think they are from 1981. I don't know anything about the Hobo Mobile Home. The more traditional float was built by students in the SDSU College of Pharmacy. Its theme is "A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down".

The only problem is that I'm pretty much computer illiterate and I can only figure out how to get tiny thumbnails attached.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

My memory of Hobo Day is getting drunk. Make that Hobo Week.

Comment

Here's a memory: I was marching in the parade with my high school band a couple years ago, when this drunk college kid came and kissed me on the cheek - I thought my brother was going to punch the guy...

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                  Other old photos including some from Hobo Day can be seen here

I'm hoping Doc finds this here, It kind of goes with his posts in the attendance thread.
                  Found them. Thanks, I enjoy learning about other Universities' traditions.

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by proudbunny View Post
                    Here's a memory: I was marching in the parade with my high school band a couple years ago, when this drunk college kid came and kissed me on the cheek - I thought my brother was going to punch the guy...
                    I hope you are female.

Doc

P.S. This one Cowboy that if he hears one more "brokeback" reference to us, I might punch somebody. I had my fill of that when we played our ex (so they claim even though they had their 3rd largest crowd ever for the game) rival, SLI...uh...USL....uh .....ULL.....uh....whatever the hell they call themselves now.

Comment

Don't worry about Brokeback commits McNeese, our own Governer called the movie a embarassment to the state of South Dakota, the South Dakota sheep industry, our western heritage, and to the Northern Plains in general. I think I even heard a rumor of him trying to stop the showing of the movie in SD. Anyways though, a Hobo Day memory of mine is the game against Augie in '04, not really a great game, being we kicked the crap out of them, but the opening kickoff we kicked to them, and they set up the wedge, and Chris Coaette just killed, I mean literally killed the man on the edge of their wedge. The game was delayed for a good period of time because the kid was knocked unconscious. Biggest hit I have ever seen, but it was a sign of things to come for the Augie Doggies that day.

Comment

Since I am now over 50 years of age, I have many memories of Hobo Day. From high school, my years at SDSU and now as an alum and father of an SDSU student. As someone mentioned above, it is a week of fun and not just a day. I have fond memories of building the Hobo Day floats (an old piece of sh** car with whatever we could hang on it while we drank). I think I remember attendance was a little down in classes that week. I can remember what I thought was my last Hobo Day, and just wasn't ready to leave. So I took a few less courses my 8th semester so I got to come back for my 5th Hobo Day. After a week of celebrating and watching the game, I was sitting there with a girl who had done the same thing I did and I finally had to admit, I was ready to go. Didn't think I could take another homecoming. Now, with a daughter at SDSU, I have stressed the importance of keeping up on homework and not getting caught up in the partying. But as for me, see ya in the Backyard Saturday. Can't wait!!!

Comment

A member of this forum marches in the Hobo Day parade. I don't know the year, but it was a long time ago. He may choose to identify himself if he wishes.(It isn't me) Sorry for the size and quality of the image. It's the best I could figure out how to do.
                          An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

3 Hobo days in my 4 years at state. Duck hunting my freshman year. Riot my senior year of high school. Typical Hobo day, up in the morining after a late Friday night, "liquid cocaine" for breakfast, parade on main street viewed from Ray's or on 6th street sitting on the boulevard on couches at a friends house. Football game, at least for the first half, then off to a "block party" near the corner of 7th and Medary (Larson's and the Mudhole, Greenhouse across the street). Over to Bushnell to "The Garage". Hit a pheasant with the car on the way back to Brookings, picked it up and fried it for an afternoon snack. Finish the night in whatever line at whatever bar we decided to go to. Haven't been to Hobo days in several years and can't make it this year but I will get back. Biggest party day in eastern SD as far as I am concerned.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One Honkin Big Orange Elephant

This is the 1972 Pharmacy Float. It is the only one that I ever worked on. I believe it burned the night after the parade. Foul play was suspected, presumably by a jealous rival. In those days, pharmacy always won the most beautiful or most outstanding award.

I was a hobo in the parade 3 or 4 times. No pictures are available.
                              An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                              US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X