Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Skilled Players Better Than SDSU's

From your very own Terry Vandrovec from his Argus Leader blog

"I caught part of the USD game on TV today. You have to factor in the competition (St. Cloud State), but the Yotes have more explosive skill players than the Jacks - and I’m not even sure it’s close. That’s not to say USD is necessarily the better team, but they look FCS ready (on offense) right now. I share that with you, my readers, only because I know you’re mature enough to handle it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll see how the SDSU homers spin this one. Top 10 excuses from SDSU fans why the comments aren't relevant.

1. Obviously the skill level isn't even close in D2

2. The backdrop at the dome made the players look faster eventhough they really weren't

3. St. Cloud threw the game on purpose

4. A USD fan held Terry hostage until he made that statement

5. It was just TV which doesn't show the true game. It's a different game in person

6. Terry took the wrong med that morning

7. The turf made them faster

8. It must be a lie because USD doesn't get good skilled players and if they do there is a reason they do, like they are criminals, couldn't make it elsewhere, etc.

9. Terry is just trusting his good friend Mick so it is not first hand information

10. It just can't be true because it is USD and they don't do anything better than SDSU.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SDSU folks,

A good portion of you will find ways to not believe it and find all the holes in the statement you want but the fact remains that USD makes good teams look very bad against their offense when they play at home. They play with a swagger at the dome that they just don't usually replicate on the road. Will USD lose against D1 FCS teams, you bet they will. On the road they will take their fare share of hit and it's to be expected. But at home USD is an amazing football team that would take most D1 FCS teams.

I have noticed that USD is coming up more and more often in Terry's blogs. So not only are the Coyotes into most Jacks fans heads but now it's bleeding into SDSU's beat writer as well. Hey those comments above don't come from me, I am just the messenger.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: USD Skilled Players Better Than SDSU's

Nice try, Coyote_Fan. I just have three comments:

1) Your starting offensive skill players might be ready the D-I FCS level, but that doesn't mean you have the depth or defense to compete week-after-week.

2) St. Cloud State is a NCC bottom-feeder. Don't let their record (3-0 before yesterday) fool everyone in Coyote County. The Huskies will likely go 2-6 in the NCC this year.

3) Let's see how you fare at McNeese State next week. We took care of business in their house last year; it's your turn now. No excuses. You can talk if the 'Yotes get the W.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      They play with a swagger at the dome that they just don't usually replicate on the road. Will USD lose against D1 FCS teams, you bet they will. On the road they will take their fare share of hit and it's to be expected.
      Good points. We all know that road games don't count.

So nothing that happens next week when McNeese hands USD their rear ends on a platter will be indicative of anything regarding the coming transition for the Coyotes. And there are no parallels to SDSU to be drawn since we beat McNeese on the road last year and road games are meaningless. Only home games against lame opponents like St. Cloud provide any insight into what kind of team USD has. Gosh, I wish we played St. Cloud (at home, of course) so we'd know what kind of team we have.

In fact, we should have scheduled a bunch of D2 opponents so we could know with CoyoteFan-like clarity how the Jacks will do against FCS opponents. Oh, wait. We beat the daylights out of a Southland Conference team (McNeese is in that conference) yesterday.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Of course road game count. It's my belief that USD will lose some games on the road that SDSU would win and SDSU will lose some games at home that USD will win. I am not making excuses for the Coyotes just telling it like it is. The teams appear very similar right now. USD better home team, SDSU better road team. With that said I believe that it's more important as a program to be able to win on the road. USD has struggled with that and until they get a bit better they will take a few lumps in FCS. Most SDSU fans just remember how USD was pre Meierkort. There isn't even a shimmer of light that would shine the same on the Austin days versus the present. USD does the same thing to all opponents that come to the dome and that explains the 22 game home winning streak.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I know this is a smack thread but I am going to try be reasonable.

I will give you that the "Yotes" are better than they were in the Austin days. I don't even doubt that you do have some skill players that are "more explosive" (what does that truly mean. It certainly doesn't translate to better) than State's.

But in reality speed/explosiveness is relative. What appears against St. Cloud may not be there against McNeese. I have no doubt that Sheppard and the new RB are ready but I will with hold true judgement on the team until next week.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

WHY IS ANYONE EVEN RESPONDING TO THIS CRAP??????

We won a great game last night and we have our own stuff to talk about and worry about.

DO NOT ENCOURAGE HIM!!!!

The fact remains that what they do down there is completely irrelevant to the JACKS for at least another year or whenever they become an FCS team.

Comment

The difference between D-2 and D-IAA isn't so much the talent of the skill players, its the talent of the other players (O-line, D-line,TE, LB) which is where the difference is shown.

Comment

USD is NOT a current athletic rival. This is the 4th year that the 2 schools have not played each other. There are very few students and student athletes at either school that have seen or participated in a State-U game. It is a big deal to "talk about" the old rivalry for us alums, but it doesn't matter to the current SDSU athletic department.

The biggest rivals of SDSU are:

1. North Dakota State (obvious)
                2. Northern Iowa (former NCC rival, playing them in all 3 major sports)
                3. Western Illinois (in both Summit League and Gateway)
                4. Oral Roberts (solid basketball and baseball teams)
                5. Minnesota (controversial WBB game last season, close baseball games last couple of seasons, and playing them in FB in two years)

USD is only a rival in the minds of us alums, not on the athletic field.
                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                  WHY IS ANYONE EVEN RESPONDING TO THIS CRAP??????

We won a great game last night and we have our own stuff to talk about and worry about.

DO NOT ENCOURAGE HIM!!!!

The fact remains that what they do down there is completely irrelevant to the JACKS for at least another year or whenever they become an FCS team.
                  Well... because it's a smack board. This is what happens on smack boards. Don't like it? Don't read it.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

OK, so Terry watched it on TV. His assessment of the skill players probably has good validity. Noah is a very good passer, at least against DII coverage. Amos is a very explosive back, at least against DII defense. They pulled off some pretty impressive plays in the first half on Saturday. I was sitting in the front row at the dome with my daughter who is currently a USD student. We left at halftime so we wouldn't miss out on the fine beef sandwiches and SDSU ice cream before the game at SDSU.

I guarantee you that I don't know as much about football as Terry V. But my impression was that the skill players for USD and the whole Coyote team in general were no better than the Texas State team with the exception that Noah may be better at the long pass. And you saw what happened to the Bobcats.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

My first reaction was that Terry has partaken of the Argus-Leader koolaid on this particular subject . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

thread drift.

The list was actual smack but other than a couple of response we have drifted to rational discussion. I'm not any good at smack, but like to read it.

As for TV's comment, if I go with his good news I have to go with the bad. By the way, isn't ironic his initials are TV and he doesn't like to do the video blog?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          thread drift.

The list was actual smack but other than a couple of response we have drifted to rational discussion. I'm not any good at smack, but like to read it.

As for TV's comment, if I go with his good news I have to go with the bad. By the way, isn't ironic his initials are TV and he doesn't like to do the video blog?
                          Sorry about that. I usually stay out of the smack column but sometimes a guy just has to respond!
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

No problem from me, I posted since it had drifted!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              My first reaction was that Terry has partaken of the Argus-Leader koolaid on this particular subject . . .
                              I think Terry made an honest observation about USD. Lets just let it go to Coyote Fan's head. His imagination usually runs wild when the Dumpsters from the Dome have a small amount of success. I doubt usd will have this much success against McNeese. Depth is lacking, and if Mc Neese shuts them out on the first few series, they will trying all their fancy offense like Texas State was trying late in the third quarter, with reverses and all that stuff, that takes big time skill to execute. I am not a game predicator, but I would pick Mc Neese as the winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X