Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgating

I suggest reading the atricle "Tailgating Banned During Games", in the latest edition of The Collegian @ http://www.sdsucollegian.com/ . I think the school is going to have to rethink this policy change. If might just kill the atmosphere @ "The Backyard".

Re: Tailgating

I have never tailgated at the backyard but isn't the purpose of tailgating to get boozed up and ready for the game.... The University is going out of there way to allow alcohol on campus and people are bitching because they can't booze up during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
      I suggest reading the atricle "Tailgating Banned During Games", in the latest edition of The Collegian @ http://www.sdsucollegian.com/ . I think the school is going to have to rethink this policy change. If might just kill the atmosphere @ "The Backyard".
      The Collegian story does what student newspapers do: They look at the issue from a student's perspective. The Collegian does a good job of that (Did you see they're up for a Pacemaker Award, the Pulitzer of college newspapers? Good for them. They have been working really hard.)

Here's a fact that was missing from the story: Every single Gateway Football Conference school has exactly the same policy for their tailgating areas. In the story Alex Brown suggested some research to find out what other schools do. Well, that's what they do. A call to Micah in athletics would have cleared that up. It's not like we invented the concept of tailgating before and then GOING to the game. That's supposed to be the idea.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I hope it turns out well and boosts the attendance and atmosphere.

Let those that come only for the tailgaitng stay at home.

Comment

I feel the change on the tailgating policy was the right thing to do. Having so many people in the Backyard during the game has a lot of potential for trouble. Having them GO to the Game is what is intended when the Backyard was created. It has added to game day atmosphere. Key is GAME DAY atmosphere. To limit the pregame is the RIGHT decision. SDSU is always consulting with other institutions on how to the run things. I know they have met with Montana, Montana State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame and am sure there are plenty more. They talk "shop" discussing scheduling, fundraising, marketing, event management and other strategies. The staff also attends different conferences thoughout the year to discuss topics and enroll in workshops. SDSU does not need to wait for something bad to happen to change policy. That would be reactive. SDSU is very Proactive and taking the necessary precautions.
          We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            I have never tailgated at the backyard but isn't the purpose of tailgating to get boozed up and ready for the game.... The University is going out of there way to allow alcohol on campus and people are bitching because they can't booze up during the game.

I wouldn't say SDSU is going out of their way to allow alcohol on their campus.....especially since it is a dry campus and no alcohol is allowed on the campus. They just wanted to create a place where people could congregate and socialize before the games. It wasn't supposed to be a huge party for every college kid in Brookings.

Comment

Here's an interesting story about tailgating at Lehigh.

http://www.bw.lehigh.edu/story.asp?ID=20827
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

"With Brown's plan, beer would be sold from one concession booth in the stadium, starting from the time the tailgating area closed until the beginning of the second quarter..."

Or people can suck it up and actually go a few hours without a beer (God forbid).

I guess I've never understood why a beer makes a game so much more fun.

I love Coca Cola Classic, but cripes, I don't NEED to have a coke to enjoy or even go to a game.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Anyone who reserved a tailgating spot - did you recieve anything via mail or email? They said they were going to send it out, but I haven't gotten anything - They called and told me where to pick up the parking passes, but nothing else.

Are they strict about the 2:00 opening?

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
                    "With Brown's plan, beer would be sold from one concession booth in the stadium, starting from the time the tailgating area closed until the beginning of the second quarter..."

Or people can suck it up and actually go a few hours without a beer (God forbid).

I guess I've never understood why a beer makes a game so much more fun.

I love Coca Cola Classic, but cripes, I don't NEED to have a coke to enjoy or even go to a game.
                    Beer makes everything a lot more fun.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      Beer makes everything a lot more fun.
                      Agreed.

Comment

I agree the tailgaters should be going to the game (hell, if it wasn't for the football game there would be no tailgating). But to make people go to the game or leave the tailgate area is a little extreme in my mind.

Comment

I find myself laughing at the statement there's not enough seats so they should keep the tailgating area open that I hear from a lot of people. It's an outdoor stadium there is plenty of space for everyone.

Jason Stripling, a senior civil engineering major, said he's upset about the change and questioned the need for more attendance as a justification for the change.

"I don't know how they're going to fit that many more people into the stands," he said.

Comment

I have to agree with thebluehatman. If SDSU was drawing over 16,000 fans for every game, then they would have an argument to make.

Comment

I think with the new policy, people will be reminded why they're even given the chance to tailgate....THERE'S A FOOTBALL GAME!!! This also goes for Hobo Day. There are thousands of people that take part in the week's events and skip the football game.

Comment

Working...
                              X