Who Need the other more, USD or SDSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Need the other more, USD or SDSU?

I find it rather interesting that most SDSU fans will claim until they are blue in the face that USD needs SDSU worse than visa-versa. I also find it interesting that when reading each teams game threads from 2 weeks ago that not one USD fans mentioned SDSU or their ongoing game against Western Illinois. There was alot of mention of USD's score against West Texas A&M. That sounds like a D1 school more worried about their D2 counterpart than the reverse. Shouldn't it actually be quite the opposite?

The USD football program needed success much more than they needed SDSU on their schedule. As a result of their success despite SDSU being off the schedule the attendance dramatically increased and did so with a less desirable home schedule than in the past. I would venture to guess that USD's attendance is up about 40% from when they played SDSU.

At this point in time SDSU seems much more worried about what is going on in Vermillion than USD what is going on at SDSU.

I have always been for USD to move to D1. It wasn't necessarily because of the D1 status alone but because of the forced elimination of the unattractive games vs schools such as Peru St, Mount Marty, Crookston and Dordt. I don't necessarily think the Summit league is much better than the old NCC but it's the non conference part of the transition that is to my liking. I just want to see games worth seeing.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: Who Need the other more, USD or SDSU?

For your sake, Coyote_Fan, I hope that the USD teams will look at what AJ has done for scheduling games for the women's basketball team. Otherwise, you will have nothing but lower-division schools, UND, and bottom-feeders on your home schedule for the next five years. Even then, you'll still likely to see a few schools like DWU, DSU, Morningside, or Buena Vista on the schedule in the next few years. (Even AJ had to scrap for home games at the get-go.)

Over half of our opponents this season made the postseason last spring. Your new WBB coach will have to do the same (and have the team play well) to even get AJ to think about scheduling a game with the 'Yotes. AJ definitely does not need USD.

Neither football program needs the other right now, seeing that both schools have drawn more fans since the rivalry shut down. I'll concede with MBB by making a prediction that a single game at Frost in three or four years will serve as the gradual rebirth of the rivalry.

As for discussing the other games's scores:
    1) I suppose the game thread about the USD-WT A&M game was only about 30 posts long as opposed to the 570+ about the SDSU-WIU game.
    2) The Argus website had updates for both games, so USD updates were readily available. Besides, we wanted to see how Goof Troop fared after the treacherous bus trip down there.

Comment

You in particular seems to have a rather significant need for SDSU. It looks like SDSU already was what it needs: nearly done with the transition, and has conferences for all sports. It's unclear just how long it will take for USD to get in a stable conference, and playing as an independent is not easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        I find it rather interesting that most SDSU fans will claim until they are blue in the face that USD needs SDSU worse than visa-versa. I also find it interesting that when reading each teams game threads from 2 weeks ago that not one USD fans mentioned SDSU or their ongoing game against Western Illinois. There was alot of mention of USD's score against West Texas A&M. That sounds like a D1 school more worried about their D2 counterpart than the reverse. Shouldn't it actually be quite the opposite?

The USD football program needed success much more than they needed SDSU on their schedule. As a result of their success despite SDSU being off the schedule the attendance dramatically increased and did so with a less desirable home schedule than in the past. I would venture to guess that USD's attendance is up about 40% from when they played SDSU.

At this point in time SDSU seems much more worried about what is going on in Vermillion than USD what is going on at SDSU.

I have always been for USD to move to D1. It wasn't necessarily because of the D1 status alone but because of the forced elimination of the unattractive games vs schools such as Peru St, Mount Marty, Crookston and Dordt. I don't necessarily think the Summit league is much better than the old NCC but it's the non conference part of the transition that is to my liking. I just want to see games worth seeing.

How can SDSU be in dire need of competition with USD if SDSU refused to play them or insisted that the games be played in Brookings or Sioux Falls and not the Dakota Dump?
        I dont think thats a SIGN of need to bash the Yotes in any sport. Why did USD wait 5 years before being dragged to the D1 table? So can you have it both ways?

Let see our football attendence has grown since going D1, our mens basketball has slipped but our women's filled Frost with the WNIT games. I think we are doing okay by not competing, but once USD completes the 5 year transition, competition with USD will not work against SDSU qualification for national championships. Think 2013 buddy yote as that about when competion will resume.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-14-2007, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
          Why is SDSU so interested in how USD is doing you ask? Well it is like driving by a car wreck, you just have to look. You don't want to look, but you just have to.

Well I see that was my 500th post and boy did it feel good!!!

Go State!!!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

SDSU DOESN'T NEED USD!!!!!!!!!!

The only time I even let the flea-bitten pups from Vermen come into my existence is on this board and a very rare appearance on your chat board!

Coyote_fan, as much as you like to think the 'Yotes are the talk of our coffee-table chats, it just isn't so. Not at all!

I continue to wish USD all the best in its transition but I don't spend any time longing for those great battles of yesteryear.

Last time I checked, we have UNI coming in here tomorrow night which would beat the 'Yotes by a score of 111-2! Games like UNI are what SDSU fans are jacked up about!

Can I get an amen from the Jackrabbit Nation??????

That's it, I'm going to start marinating meat for the tailgate tomorrow!

GO JACKS, screw the U!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Amen Amen Amen

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Amen!!!!!!!!

Comment

Amen!!!!!!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Hallaluejah!!!!!!!! Pass the collection plate. for the starving yotes howling out on the plain far away from Brookings.... stands an old abandoned out house called the "University". That little song was very popular prior to 1964 when there was SDU and SDSC.
                    President Briggs lobbied hard out in Pierre and won to get that last letter changed from C to U. Certain folks wearing red did not like that change either.

Comment

Working...
                    X