Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another QB added to the team...

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...23/1002/SPORTS
    With classes under way, SDSU has expanded its roster as allowed by NCAA rules. The most intriguing addition: Marcel Jones.
    The 6-foot-3, 210-pound quarterback was a four-year starter at Simley High School and holds the career record for most all-purpose yards (8,806) in Minnesota prep history. He committed to the University of Minnesota as a junior and spent one year there as a redshirt, during which he was reportedly charged in connection with an alleged assault. Jones, currently running the scout team, is ineligible this season, but would have two years remaining beginning in 2008.

Re: Another QB added to the team...

This always scares me a little, this kid has bounced around a lot. One time might be coincidence, more than that and it starts to look like a habit.

I guess it can't hurt anything. He is going to take his lumps on the scout team for a year and the coaches can use that time to judge his true character and willingnesss to be a part of the team. If he is truly a good individual he will be in fall camp next year. If he is not i'm sure he will be looking for somewhere else to play.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

This kid played his prep ball in the twin cities against some good competition and obviously has top athletic ability, as mentioned in the argus over 8800 all purpose yards is no joke. He will be a great addition to the scout team this year to give our starters a great look, and as previously mentioned check his character and also to see if he can keep his nose clean.

It is an exciting addition and definitely should stir the pot, so to speak, if he can stick this year out and compete for a position next fall.

Comment

****bump****

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          This always scares me a little, this kid has bounced around a lot. One time might be coincidence, more than that and it starts to look like a habit.

I guess it can't hurt anything. He is going to take his lumps on the scout team for a year and the coaches can use that time to judge his true character and willingnesss to be a part of the team. If he is truly a good individual he will be in fall camp next year. If he is not i'm sure he will be looking for somewhere else to play.
          I would prefer we did not chances here, but we probably don't know enough about the circumstances that now might appear to be negative. I was suspicious of one our other transfers, namely General Parnell, from U of Idaho. What I found out through googling was that he seems to be a very good individual. Idaho has had a big turnover of coaches. The great Dennis Ericson left after one year. Also I found out that about 15 people transferred from Idaho after spring camp for various reasons. Marcel may not be any different than General in terms of character. Who knows? I dont.

If Marcel adjusts in both classroom and playing field, he will be a great asset to SDSU. I would agree that being on the scouting team is an acid test.

Comment

This is Marcel Jones' fourth team in 3 years. He redshirted for the Gophers, was on UNI's team one year, and Hamline University's team for 2 practices this year. While at Minnesota, he was accused of assaulting another student at a house party. He and a couple of Gopher wrestlers were accused of the assaults. Marcel, if I remember correctly, accepted a plea bargain from an assault charge to a misdemeanor aiding and abetting charge.

I know nothing else about him, but that he is an allegedly great qb. I've never seen footage or seen him play, but hear he is a beast on the football field.

Comment

This is where being D-IAA or FCS or whatever they are called has there advantages. This is a league that gets D-I tallent that just couldn't cut it playing D-I football. You take chances sometimes you get bit in the butt sometimes you win big. I'm sure the coaches wouldn't of took a chance on this kid if he didn't have huge upside.

Comment

Joeboo,

SDSU plays D-I football in the Championship Sub-Division. Sometimes we get transfers from the Bowl Sub-Division, but it is all D-I football.

Go State!

Comment

Yes I understand that but I am still going to refer to them as D-IA and D-IAA because it is a lot simpler.... And what I was getting at is there is a lot of players that have the talent to play top tear D-I football but can not handle it mentally so they transfer to D-IAA because you don't have to sit out a year.... I know that this isn't the case with this transfer but it is with many others.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    Yes I understand that but I am still going to refer to them as D-IA and D-IAA because it is a lot simpler.... And what I was getting at is there is a lot of players that have the talent to play top tear D-I football but can not handle it mentally so they transfer to D-IAA because you don't have to sit out a year.... I know that this isn't the case with this transfer but it is with many others.
                    Well if you choose to be wrong that is your business, however even by your explanation of what you choose to do you are still wrong. You should have said "top tear I-A football . . . ". Even with the old terminology of I-A and I-AA it was all D-I football.

Thanks for helping to make the point of why the name change was so important.

Go State!

Comment

Top Tear? I think 89 rabbit you should have said Top Tier. Could someone please help me understand the "holier than thou" attitude on this board toward "JoeBoo". I am fairly new to this board and have seen some of his posts and some seem somewhat simple but.... man what animosity,and anger toward a fellow backer of SDSU.
                      I no longer live in SD but have followed with much enthusiasm SDSU and the jump to Div.1 athletics. Earlier this year JoeBoo posted an intelligent and correct (I now live in Michigan) statement about Michigan State going to a natural grass field because of the research done at MSU on different turf/grasses and he then made the comparison with SDSU. I happen to know that the information that he stated about MSU was correct. Yet, he was repeatedly criticized for his comments when if someone had done their research they would have realized he was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                        Top Tear? I think 89 rabbit you should have said Top Tier. Could someone please help me understand the "holier than thou" attitude on this board toward "JoeBoo". I am fairly new to this board and have seen some of his posts and some seem somewhat simple but.... man what animosity,and anger toward a fellow backer of SDSU.
                        Boxerboy, if you look back JoeBoo wrote Top Tear, not 89Rabbit. 89Rabbit was just quoting JoeBoo.

Comment

ya that was me I knew that tear wasn't the right spelling of the word but I wasn't about to look it up I figured that if you were intelligent you would get what I meant.

Comment

I have to admit that joeboo22 cracks me up at times... Joe, your "if you were intelligent you would get what I meant" was pretty funny. So, if I do not understand YOUR spelling mistakes, I lack intelligence?!! I know that's not exactly what you meant but that's what you've said..thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I have to admit that joeboo22 cracks me up at times... Joe, your "if you were intelligent you would get what I meant" was pretty funny. So, if I do not understand YOUR spelling mistakes, I lack intelligence?!! I know that's not exactly what you meant but that's what you've said..thanks for the laugh.
                              Spelling mistakes are one thing using the wrong spelling of the right word when the other spelling would be irrelevant is totally different.

The
                              Them
                              one letter difference can change the whole demeanor of a statement
                              Tier
                              Tear- though they mean something totally different you should be able to know what is ment.

Comment

Working...
                              X