Sd State Fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sd State Fair

I drove a few miles to take in the State Fair on a hot afternoon in Huron. Its been years since I have been there. It was a big deal nearly 60 years ago when I attended the first time at the age of 10 years.

I been following the recent events in the legislature for providing funding to keep the event going. It appears the future existance of the State Fair is still in doubt.

Having spent some of my life on the farm, this event has been a big deal and now I really dont know what to make of this event. There have been many changes to the fair in 60 years, except for the vendors handing out yard sticks. Desmet Farm Mutual Insurance is keeping that tradition alive.

Huron since losing their packing plant, railroad and recently Huron College has struggled economically. Population has declined, and Huron now has close to 5 to 6k less population than Brookings. Huron exceed Brookings in population during the 1950's and they were the host of the state basketball tourneys. Between the fair and the state tourneys, Huron was a great place to operate a small business.

Agriculture has changed so much for the past 50 years and the remaining operaters are perhaps larger and more efficient and seem to make a better living than when there were more smaller farms. The machinary exhibits appeared to be less than long ago.

The Argus Sunday had an editorial about the state fair. They mentioned the subsidy that was appropriated this past year of 900k was needed to keep the fair operting out of the red. The fair director told the Argus that they still have 100k left of that money so maybe this year a profit will be shown.

Also mention in the editoral and I noticed, many of the buildings on the fair ground are getting old and need either renovation or replacement.

Some recognize the success of the Sioux Empire Fair in Sioux Falls and suggest the state fair should be moved to Sioux Falls. Either way money is needed to improve and expand the facilites in Sioux Falls or to upgrade those in Huron. I myself favor keeping the event in Huron. Economically, its important to Huron, and those from Ziebach County do not have to travel so far to show their beautiful sheep and cattle. I saw some this past Saturday.

The affects of change in Agriculture have also affected membership in 4-H. We now have more urban young people involved, that are not living on a farm. Their projects are dogs and goats and other projects. I believe 4-H has adjusted to change. The necessary living on a farm is not a requirement, and probably some of the best members are living in town. This was not the case 50 years ago. Its what you learn from being a 4-H that counts, and I wish I had lived the motto daily in my own personal life, namely "To Make the Best Better." I just might attend the fair again next year.
Working...
X