Is the Meirkort euphoria over in Vermin Land? Ask Coyote Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Meirkort euphoria over in Vermin Land? Ask Coyote Fan

I been reading Coyote Fan's posts for about seven years now. He is indeed passionate about USD, and may even played football there. He does not think to highly of SDSU and if he can say what needs to be said about SDSU in a negative vane, it usually happens.

Also he was so proud of Mierkort and what happened during his short reign of three years. As you know, things at the game in Canyon Texas did not go well. SDSU at least got to overtime, whereas in Canyon, the game ended in the first quarter. Pass Defense seems to be a big problem

Here is a link to D2football board. If you have the link to the Coyote board, the identical post appeared there too. We dont have to say negative things about USD. The USD boasters are getting an ear full over on the D2 message board. The honeymoon for Coach Ed is over it appears at least from Coyote Fan's perspective.

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=2377

Re: Is the Meirkort euphoria over in Vermin Land? Ask Coyote Fan

It seems like in this business you are only as good as your last game.

Comment

The coach seems to be reacting to the setback admirably and constructively and without whining. ... Wonder how Ucksie is handling the loss? It seems that USD's D-II rocketship crashed on a D-II campus in West Texas as it "launched at warp speed" into D-1 (to quote a past Ucksie witticism). Reality can hurt.
      This space for lease.

Comment

No question Ed is a classy guy and probably a very good coach. He has played it smart in Verminland and did not over schedule the first three years and I suppose he took some heat for that from outside the USD community. Not to praise, too much but Ed is also an SDSU alum since he got his Masters in Brookings. No doubt he is bound to take some lumps in games to come. Winona is usually pretty good as we found out a few seasons back. So next week things have to shape up as Winona will without any doubt try to spread their offense and pass. I recall in Brookings Winona tried a number of stuff that had worked for UC-Davis the game before but did not seem to work for Winona at all. As I remember we got blown out by Davis by making many special team mistakes and Winona thought the same would work when we played them. Its amazing how a week of practice and adjustments take that one game vulnerbility away. So Winona might not be able to beat up on USD like the Texas team did. Lets see what happens. GO Winona.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I am a supporter of Meierkort in general. That goes all the way back to his first publicized interview when he was one of the three finalists for the job. People that said they knew him from the past tried to make him out to be a snake with questionable morals. I stood up for Ed against those people. He just sounded like the right man for the job and that was without really knowing what kind of a coach he would be. He is a good talker and as a result a good recruiter. He sold me that he was the right guy for the job. Now if he could just sell a defense that the Coyotes would play well he would be a near perfect coach. Maybe there is a reason he isn't coaching at Iowa State or something.

The best way to determine if a coach should be retained or let go often comes down to how good a potential future coach eventually ends up being that replaces the current coach. If USD doesn't get their problems with the defense solved or eventually at least doesn't try a new Defensive coordinator my opinion of Ed may change in the future.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Amazing how similar his RBs are. 24 year old guys who were not able to play DI and its not because they weren't/aren't athletic enough, attempts at JC schools or similar without success, yet they can play football at an "elite" institution like USD. I don't quite get that. Ed must be able to work some magic in the classroom. Not going to be able to pull that off at the DI level, more regulations with more people enforcing them. DI at USD means no Foster, no Allen, no Logan, etc...

I think its reasonable for USD fans to have some concerns.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Very interesting points there, MD. Didn't know they were both in the 20+ range...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                Very interesting points there, MD. Didn't know they were both in the 20+ range...
                I'll probably be putting my foot in my mouth. I don't really know much about Allen or Logan except that they are/were both 24 year old men from Miami, Fl playing their senior year of college FB at USD. I don't know the details behind their arrival in Vermillion and the may be perfectly legit, hence my posting this under the smack section. I asked Coach Meirkort about it at the QB club meeting in Yankton last year and he explained that one of his coaches had a connection and made a few phone calls. Logan had some trouble right out of high school but had straighten it out and USD got lucky. I agreed.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Logan actually came in under the old coaching staff but it seemed to me like it was a similar deal that made everyone kind of wonder where this kid came from and how all of a sudden he ended up in South Dakota. Some times those things work out some times they don't. In this case it has worked for USD. It will be harder to do in D-I but it is still not impossible.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

I guess USD just keeps getting lucky time and time again with their runningback. First Jamel White, then Stamer, then Logan and now Allen. Gosh the figer of god struck 4 times in the past 10 years. It's more than cooincidence it's called recruiting. Of course since it was USD that got them most SDSU fans will make some kind of excuse to downplay the circumstance around the successfull USD backs. Don't make yourselves look like total homers. If something good happens to USD it's sometimes more than just good fortune ladies and gents. Now USD has the best offensive player in total yards accounted for in D2 football in Noah Shepard. Lets face it, USD knows it's offense. If the other side of the ball would just be half that good it would be nice.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I have to admit, Coach Meirkort does know how to get an offense on the field. Seems like he always has a quarterback waiting in the wings that knows how to move the ball. Running backs...we have already talked about that. As far as the defense is concerned, Coyote Fan, you will have to take care of that.

Comment

I am working from memory again, but it seems like USD finally hired a full time compliance officer this past year. Prior to it I believe the AD was kind of the final word on compliance.
                        It will be interesting to see how effective the new person is in this new function. Will he/she be a Kathy Heylens? She has a reputation among the coaches as being tough and by the book. Lets see what happens at USD. D1 rules are much tougher and if you dont follow them, the cerification process will prevent USD from becoming a bonifide D1 member.

I attended one of the certication open forums last spring, and what kind of surprised me was one, an empty room. Other myself and a few interested people there was not many spectators, probably sounded like a boring meeting. What did surprise me was that involvement of the faculty in this entire process. Kathy is not emperor by any means, she in turn has to report to academic people on campus. A great number of faculty have been involved in the transition period. The same needs to happen at USD.

Comment

USD hired Jill Theeler as the compliance officer during the summer of 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                            USD hired Jill Theeler as the compliance officer during the summer of 2006.
                            Hope they got her an NCAA compliance manual. I heard they tried to borrow one of our old ones. Not a good start.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

You know what I have changed my mind I think in 5 years when USD and UND are counters in football and out of transition we should ask them to join the Gateway and the Summit League.... Why you may say because I would love nothing else then to beat both of those schools twice a year and I believe NDSU thinks the same way.... If USD wants to think they are tough lets see how tough they actually are.... I am getting sick of hearing how good they think they are when they still get beat by D2 teams and there sellouts are average crowds at SDSU.... As an SDSU fan I would love SDSU to show them just what D-I is all about and make them rethink there decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X