Kevin Morsching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Morsching

Not sure what's going on here. But hearing talk that something serious happened to Kevin sometime this week. Anyone else hear anything on this?

Re: Kevin Morsching

2-3 surgeries today....hasn't woken up yet...but not sure what's going on either...serious condition

Comment

Any updates yet? My prayers go out to Kevin and his family.

Comment

Any more word on this situation? Prayers to the Morsching family.

Comment

http://sdstate.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18062258136

If you can't access the page then here is the jest.

Kevin was skateboarding in Larson Park yesterday, and hit an area where the asphalt and concrete are uneven, and was thrown from his skateboard. He was rushed to the brookings unit where he had a c.a.t. scan, and then was immediately flown to sioux falls where the intensive care head injury unit is excellent. He received another cat scan there. The second scan showed no more additional swelling on the brain, so he was sedated and carefully watched overnight. Family and friends were there to be with him through the night. Some time between 4-5am he was scanned again..swelling gained a lil, blood clot was found near the major artery in his head, and his skull was fractured. Along w/ this one of his pupils would not react. Finally by 9 am his pupil was back to normal, and surgery became the next option for swelling, the blood clot, and fixing of the skull. Surgery went well, blood clot taken out, piece of skull taken out, but more swelling around face. Mid afternoon swelling went down in face, but was still evident around head. At this point he could possibly be in intensive care sedated for 2 weeks so he may heal without interruption.

Comment

It is very difficult to predict what will ulitmately happen here. The long range prognosis with a closed head injury can vary so much. Best advice is to take things hour-by-hour and then day-by-day. My prayers will be with Kevin, his family, and his healthcare providers.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://rapidcityjournal.com/articles...1368889145.txt

Kevin Morsching hospitalized

Former St. Thomas More football player and wrestler and Post 22 baseball player Kevin Morsching suffered a significant brain injury on Monday in Brookings while riding a skateboard — without a helmet.

He was airlifted to Sioux Falls, is in a drug-induced coma and underwent surgery Tuesday to control the swelling in the brain.

“Every day, every hour and every minute he makes steps forward,” said Kim Morsching, Kevin’s mother, in an e-mail. “As anyone that has faced Kevin on the gridiron, mat or from the pitcher’s mound know that Kevin is a tough kid. Kirby (Kevin’s brother) loves to tell the story that he heard from the emergency room nurse. When Kevin arrived here he was a little combative. It took six people to hold him down for his CT scan and he did get the best of two of them. He will overcome this setback if only because he has the will to do so.”

The Morsching family wants to thank all of Rapid City for their love and prayers, especially the St. Thomas More and Post 22 families.

“This support means everything.” said Morsching.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70824060

SDSU baseball player in hospital with head injury

By By Terry Vandrovec
                tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                Published: August 24, 2007

Kevin Morsching, a pitcher on the South Dakota State baseball team, is hospitalized at Avera McKennan due to a head injury suffered Monday evening.

According to Jackrabbits coach Reggie Christiansen, the 21-year-old upcoming junior from Rapid City was alone Monday in Brookings, perhaps skateboarding, when he was hurt. Police reports state that he was discovered by a passerby and eventually flown to Sioux Falls.

Further details about both the incident and the severity of the injuries, delivered on Friday afternoon by Christiansen with permission from the Morsching family, were vague.

“We really don’t know that much about the situation,” said Christiansen, who is beginning his fourth year at NCAA Division I SDSU. “It’s a head injury and we really don’t know where we’re at right now.”

A former Rapid City Journal male athlete of the year while at St. Thomas More High School, the 6-foot, 200-pound Morsching joined the Jacks – and younger brother Kirby, also a pitcher on the team – after one season at Midland College. Although his debut season at SDSU in 2006 was cut short by an elbow injury, he went 5-2 in 15 relief appearances this spring, helping the club win 34 games, and spent the summer playing for the college league Humboldt (Calif.) Crabs. . . . (read more)

My thougths and prayers go out to Kevin. Get well soon!

Go State!

Comment

Not any good news:
                  From Facebook updated 30 minutes ago:

This morning we got the news that we have all been fearing. Kevin got a CAT scan this morning and it showed how much brain damage had actually been done and showed that his brain stem was almost completely damaged in his fall. The brain stem needs to be healthy for a person to have thoughts and be conscious, which Kevin will no longer be able to do. Kev has been fighting his butt off every day since the incident but won't be able to come back to everyday reality. My family was brought back from our hopes this morning when the doctor said that there was nothing more they could do but hang on to what he has left...He is being kept alive by machines and won't be able to ever leave his bed again if kept alive. If you have ever met Kevin you know that he would not want this for himself, and would never want to be restricted to a bed for the rest of his life. We have made the decision that when Kevin has decided to go we will let him. He still has some brain function, but when its gone we won't continue support. This could leave with a last few minutes to live life on his own, the way he wants it.
                  Thank you all for supporting Kevin in his time of need. He would have been there for all of you if anything ever happened. I think he'll go to heaven and be given a chance to live up there as a guardian angel for some lucky person...I don't know how the whole becoming and angel thing works but I'm sure it will be like this.
                  I know I have already asked alot from all of you but I need to ask one more thing. We all have had many good times together and many of you have had good times with Kevin. Remember back to these times and sit with them for a little while. Think about the person you got to know and how much of a part of our lives he has become. He will only leave us in body, but will always be watching over us with spirit. I have dedicated the rest of my life to him and will work for what he has always wanted from me.

Kirby

Comment

This is very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to Kevin, his friends, and family.

Comment

I am very sorry to hear this news. Our prayers go out to him and his family and friends. This is so tragic, but we can only pray that through this the family and friends will all be strengthened. My best to all...

Comment

The halls of heaven welcome another Jackrabbit into them tonight. Kevin has passed on. We have lost a great teammate, a great team player and an all around amazing guy. The world has lost an amazing guy.

Comment

This is very sad news. It is tough to lose a loved one and all the more tragic when life is taken from one so young. My prayers go out to his family and to his friends.

Comment

A fitting tribute would perhaps be to call a friend or a family member you haven't spoken to in a while, or maybe make peace with a co-worker, family member, or someone else with whom you've gotten crosswise with in the past.

Treasure your relationships with other people. It is those relationships, more than anything else, which bring meaning to life.

It is a moment like this which makes each of us face the harsh reality of life. There is no guarantee that we will see tomorrow, or that those we love will see tomorrow. So, it would be wise to act to every day to make life better for yourself and for those you encounter on life's road.

OK, enough philosophy.

My heart goes out to Kevin's family and friends.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to Kevin's family and friends. Not the way you ever expect life to go. This is a very strong reminder that its never a bad time to tell a family member or a friend how you feel.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X