The New Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Recruits

Just wondering what are the impressions of the coaching staff with the true freshmen at camp thus far. Has anyone heard comments ect?

Re: The New Recruits

From what I hear, the 3 freshman DL are very athletic and have lots of potenial. They all need the red shirt year to get bigger and stronger. When camp started they were 17 DL, with Sheehan out for the season and Dei leaving, we still have alot of depth and will be a strength in the future also.

Go Jacks !!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

When camp started they were 17 DL, with Sheehan out for the season and Dei leaving, we still have alot of depth and will be a strength in the future also.
      Don't forget that this group only has 2 seniors (Pontrelli and Bonwell)!
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

[QUOTE=footballfan;60851]From what I hear, the 3 freshman DL are very athletic and have lots of potenial. They all need the red shirt year to get bigger and stronger. When camp started they were 17 DL, with Sheehan out for the season and Dei leaving, we still have alot of depth and will be a strength in the future also.

The three true freshman are Nolan Johnson 6'1" 215, John Kirwan 6'2" 260, and Eric Wood 6'3" 220. Did these guys test well? It does look like they need to put on a little more meat on their frames with maybe one exception. Johnson's dimensions seem a lot more linebacker like than a D-lineman.

Comment

jackrabid,

Trust me when I say those boys will get bigger in a couple of years. Eating what the coaches tell them, lots of offseason lifting. they will easily put on 40 -70 lbs. The hard part is keeping the speed and agility to carry the weight.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan View Post
            jackrabid,

Trust me when I say those boys will get bigger in a couple of years. Eating what the coaches tell them, lots of offseason lifting. they will easily put on 40 -70 lbs. The hard part is keeping the speed and agility to carry the weight.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
            I agree the guys have to keep their speed, power, strength, and agility while they put on weight. Their is a right way and a wrong way to add weight and sometimes teams don't have the resources (sport dieticians and nutritionists) that is necessary to do it the right way. Sometimes incoming freshmen add the weight too fast and thus they are not able to move around quite as quickly as they should and also injuries might occur from the body not being able to handle the extra weight on bones and ligaments. The best way to monitor them would be to do lean mass and fat mass measurements when they first arrive and do those same measurements on a regular basis to determine how they are putting on weight (via more muscle mass or just by gaining fat mass).

Comment

With the addition of Coach Moe who is certainly well credentialed, I think you will definitely see, not only bigger, faster and better conditioned athletes but a curtailing of injuries. I have heard from some of my sources, that he is well respected by the athletes he deals with and the early results of his tenure are already evident in the gains they have made.

Comment

Working...
              X