• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register gets new Sports Editor

http://www.brookingsregister.com/fe_...d=77&heading=0

Let me introduce myself

Posted: Wednesday, Aug 8th, 2007

If you have been reading the paper the last couple of days, you might have noticed a new name popping up every now and then. I suppose it’s about time I tell you who I am and what I do.

My name is Brian Polski (pronounced POLE-skee), and I started last Tuesday as the sports editor here at The Register. I came from Burnsville, Minn., which is a town 25 minutes south of Minneapolis, and I called it home for nearly my entire life before I moved to Brookings.

Even though I’m from Burnsville, I attended nearby Apple Valley High School and while I was enrolled I ran cross country and track. I was later recruited to run for the University of Minnesota Duluth and eventually made it my college choice.

Four quick years later, I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in communications and received my minor in journalism from UMD.

The last eight years have been nothing less than a mixture of hard work and good memories, and I never regret a single minute.

Having been in Brookings a week I have come to two conclusions. One — things here are undoubtly different from the life in suburbia that I’m used to. Two — that is certainly not a bad thing.

I have found that Brookings can be almost like Canada, in that things are different, but nothing you’re not used to.

Like Canada, I have observed that the people are extremely nice and outgoing. In fact, on my first visit here I was having trouble finding a place to stay and local couple from Volga kindly offered me their basement until I could find a place to live. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Register gets new Sports Editor

Is he going to be your beat writer?

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
      Is he going to be your beat writer?
      BB,

Brian works for the Brookings Register not the Sioux Falls Argus Leader so Terry will still be our "beat writer" (the Register really isn't big enough to make that kind of distinction).

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
        BB,

Brian works for the Brookings Register not the Sioux Falls Argus Leader so Terry will still be our "beat writer" (the Register really isn't big enough to make that kind of distinction).

Go State!
        There has been a great deal of turnover and maybe two years ago, The Register had a sports writer from one of the eastern states who seemed to be a cracker jack. He came to the Jackrabbit noon meetings and introduced him self and very accessable person to talk to. He like so many others left and I can not for the life of me recall his name. Also others have come and went so some how some way, The Register needs to find a way to keep people and not let their paper be a stepping stone for new jobs elsewhere. Just my opinion, but I am not their top bean counter so maybe there is not much else that can be done to get additional subscriptions. It probably easier to write and print the paper than it is to sell the paper a price that generates a reasonable rate of return.

Comment

Working...
        X