Clear All

• SDSU best of SD's 6 public Universities

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...708130328/1001

BHSU worst at retainment
    SDSU most successful in keeping students, report says

By Terry Woster
    twoster@midco.net
    Published: August 13, 2007

PIERRE - Barely half of the freshmen who enrolled at Black Hills State University in fall 2005 returned the next year, figures from the state Board of Regents show.

The school's 50 percent retention rate was the lowest of the six public universities, according to the "Accountability Report, 2006-2007'' released this summer.

South Dakota State University had the highest one-year retention rate, with 76 percent of new students in fall 2005 returning in 2006.

The system retention rate was 68 percent. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: SDSU best of SD's 6 public Universities

Good to see that report about SDSU's retention rates. I wonder how the 76% compares nationally...my guess is it's well above average for state-supported schools and ranks favorably with all schools.

Comment

The Rapid City Journal has the breakdown of all the schools:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...a614617289.txt

. . . Retention rates, based on freshmen in the 2005-06 school year who returned to the same school for the 2006-07 year: South Dakota State University, 76 percent; School of Mines and Technology, 74 percent; University of South Dakota, 69 percent; Dakota State University, 63 percent; Northern State University, 56 percent; Black Hills State University, 50 percent. (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Found a site with national statistics...looks like the most recent year is 2002. This site (link below) is for the "National Information Center for Higher Education and Policymaking and Analysis". I have no idea whether that is a credible organization. This particular site lists the national average for freshman retention (again, year 2002), is 73.6%. There is a color-coded map which indicates SD ranks low but keep in mind SDSU is the highest in SD and is better than the national average.

Here's the link:

http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser...php?measure=67

There are some graphs and data pages on the site. According to the data, SD is moving in the right direction with a 4.6 per cent increase compare to 2001. Now, I wonder if we can find information on public vs. private school retention rates.

Go Jackrabbit returning freshmen!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Found a site with national statistics...looks like the most recent year is 2002. This site (link below) is for the "National Information Center for Higher Education and Policymaking and Analysis". I have no idea whether that is a credible organization. This particular site lists the national average for freshman retention (again, year 2002), is 73.6%. There is a color-coded map which indicates SD ranks low but keep in mind SDSU is the highest in SD and is better than the national average.

Here's the link:

http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser...php?measure=67

There are some graphs and data pages on the site. According to the data, SD is moving in the right direction with a 4.6 per cent increase compare to 2001. Now, I wonder if we can find information on public vs. private school retention rates.

Go Jackrabbit returning freshmen!
          Also keep in mind that we have about twice as many freshman as any other institution in the state. In other words, we bolster what would be even weaker numbers by the other institutions.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
          X