Old rumors getting new legs?  Gateway + the V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old rumors getting new legs?  Gateway + the V

A rumor that floats around suggests the Missouri Valley will absorb the Gateway Football Conference so that the Valley will have football. The most common variation of the rumor includes the claim that Gateway members who are not members of the Valley (that'd be us) will be Valley members only for football.

On Any Given Saturday, a fan from Missouri State started a thread, claiming the rumor has new strength. Here's a link for anyone interested (note for the faint-hearted: this thread includes someone daring to suggest that UND and USD may someday be in the same conference with NDSU and SDSU ).

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ad.php?t=26047

It's only a rumor and one that doesn't affect the great day when SDSU starts it's Gateway membership (08-09).

Re: Old rumors getting new legs?  Gateway + t

The NDSU/UND miscreants turning AGS threads into a flame war is getting a bit tiring. Keep smack in smack.

Comment

Re: Old rumors getting new legs?  Gateway + the V

Well according to this poster it is just a formality. The Gateway will be changed to the Missouri Valley Conference.

Looks like the name change is going to go through by the middle of this summer when the Presidents meet. They have the numbers at the vote for a positive outcome. It could have been put to rest 2 months ago at the coach's meeting but Western Illinois President said he doesnt think its fair that they cant join the Valley in a all sports. He made a comment to the effect of "If you think we are good enough to play football then why arent we good enough to play all sports in the conference."

Anyhow, they will throw a fit but will lose that battle in the end as they appear to be the only hold up to getting this thing done. Should be playing in the MVC by kickoff this fall!!
      Well I know that because someone says so on a message board, it does not hold a lot of weight, but I thought it was interesting anyway.

Go State!!!
      Go Jacks!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

The Gateway WAS the Missouri Valley Conference's football arm until it was split off. The discussions have been ongoing about reverting to the name (albeit without having a change in team composition on either end). My understanding was that it is basically a done deal. I guess we will know soon enough.

Comment

I'm okay with the Gateway name...but changing the name to the Valley is very appealing to me.

I think back to the days when I thought joining the Big Sky was the right course. Glad we didn't get an invite.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            I'm okay with the Gateway name...but changing the name to the Valley is very appealing to me.

I think back to the days when I thought joining the Big Sky was the right course. Glad we didn't get an invite.
            We'd still be looking for a baseball/softball conference if in Big Sky. Summit is a good fit for us.

Interesting discussion on the WIU Leatherneck board about possibility of UND/USD to Summit and creation of a Summit Football league should that occur. I'll admit that I instigated the discussion there, but I didn't expect the WIU responses.

http://www.leathernecknation.com/Topic2285-10-2.aspx

Comment

I guess I don't care what the name of the football conference is. I know that there are good teams and it will be fun to watch.
              As far as the Big Sky goes, I've never wanted to be a part of that conference. I don't like the 2 hour time change for some of the schools. That way the scores wouldn't even get on the 10 PM news. That's not looking at the teams but the ability to get the scores to the fans. Staying up a couple extra hours wouldn't hurt me but it might some people.

Comment

Working...
              X