• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway coaches hope for playoff expansion

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/...s/20982174.txt

Gateway coaches hope for playoff expansion

By Todd Hefferman, The Souther

ST. LOUIS - The Gateway Conference's coaches are proud they have the most difficult job - statistically - in college football. Now they would like to see it get a little easier.

Only 16 of the 116 Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) teams made the postseason in 2006, and only 16 will make it in this season. In the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-A), 64 of 119 schools made bowl games.

"Division II has a higher percentage," said Western Illinois coach Don Patterson, who coached 20 years at the University of Iowa before taking over the Leathernecks. "Division III also has a higher percentage of playoff qualifiers, so, you think about it, the truth about it is, the FCS coaches, to use the new terminology; we're more likely to get fired than guys in D-2 or D-3."

The Gateway got three teams into the FCS playoffs last year, with one reaching the national semifinals (Youngstown State). It was only the second time in league history three teams made it, although the fact only two made it the two previous years was one of the chief reasons some coaches called for expanding the field.

In 2005, Youngstown State tied for the Gateway lead at 5-2 but ended an 8-3 campaign short of the playoffs. Northern Iowa felt the sting twice in the last three years, falling short at the end of last season with a 7-4 record and in 2004 at 7-4 again.

"The Gateway has placed multiple teams into the playoffs for the past 12 seasons, but when teams as strong as Northern Iowa last year and Youngstown State the year before are left out of the playoff field, that's all the evidence that I need, for sure, to understand that the playoffs need to be expanded," Gateway Commissioner Patty Viverito said. "Expansion, undoubtedly, would be welcome, both for greater access for more at-large teams, and because it would also require the committee to seed more teams, which is another thing we are very anxious to see happen nationally." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Gateway coaches hope for playoff expansion

I suspect that any expansion of the number of qualifiers for the playoffs, be it to 24 or all of the way to 32, would end any chances of expanding the regular season to 12 games.  

What do the people on this board think if that is really the choice?  Would a 12 game season with better hopes of getting a sixth or even a seventh home regular season game be better than a 50% increase (if expanded from 16 to 24 qualifiers) in being invited to the playoffs?  Would a twelfth regular season game help to clarify which 16 teams really belong in the playoffs or would it muddy the waters even more?

Comment

Re: Gateway coaches hope for playoff expansion

I'd have to think that an 11-game season win increased playoff chances would be better. You could possibly improve your playoff chances by adding another game, but other teams would be doing the same thing, so I think it would be a wash.

With the 12th game, you have a few options:

A) bring in a D-II or lower level FCS team.
      B) Bring in a mid-range team.
      C) Bring in a top-level FCS team.
      D) Play a money game against an FBS team.

Does any of these increase your playoff chances by 50%?

Comment

Working...
      X