• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU one of the best

From the Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...82&page=23

SDSU ranked among nation’s best
    BY UNIVERSITY RELATIONS

For alumni, it comes as no surprise that South Dakota State University is one of the best universities in the nation, and those feelings have been confirmed for the second year by the latest rankings in U.S. News & World Report.
    SDSU was named by the national news magazine one of the best 248 universities in the nation.
    The university ranked in the third tier in the national university category and has been included in the magazine’s 2007 guide, "America’s Best Colleges."
    SDSU’s ranking was in the same tier as Utah State University, Oregon State University, St. John’s University in New York and Arizona State University. The university was second only to the University of Montana for the highest alumni-giving rate — 22 percent — in its tier of national universities.
    Among other South Dakota schools classified in the national university category, SDSU has the highest freshman retention rate at 75 percent, as well as the highest graduation rate and number of freshman who graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school class.

According to the magazine, the rankings are based on assessment by administrators at peer institutions, retention of students, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving and graduation rate performance (the percentage of students expected to graduate and the proportion who actually do).
    In the last several years, SDSU has seen record growth in enrollment and research. Last fall, the university had more than 11,000 students enrolled, solidifying the institution’s role as the largest university in the state.
    In March, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching ranked SDSU as the top research institution in the state. Under that classification, SDSU’s peer research institutions now include schools like Georgetown, West Virginia University, Marquette, Oklahoma State University, the University of Oklahoma, North Dakota State University, the University of Nevada at Las Vegas and Auburn.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: SDSU one of the best

Congrats on your ranking.

Could anyone explain what qualifies a school as a "National University?" Our school has always been put in the category for Midwest-Master's level, where we are typically #1-#3 every year (#3 this year behind Creighton & Xavier). It seems that we are not considered for the National University category for some reason, and was curious, as I am positive we would be ranked pretty well.

Comment

From the US News web site:
      U.S. News collapses eight of those categories into four: National Universities, Liberal Arts Colleges, Universities-Master's, and Comprehensive Colleges-Bachelor's. The schools in the Universities-Master's and Comprehensive Colleges-Bachelor's categories are placed into one of four geographic regions-North, South, Midwest, and West.

Second, data on up to 15 indicators of academic quality are gathered from each school and tabulated.

Finally, colleges are ranked in their category by their total weighted score.

National Universities

There are 248 national universities in the country (162 public, 86 private), based on categories developed by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The universities offer a full range of undergraduate majors, as well as master's and doctoral degrees; many strongly emphasize research.

Liberal Arts Colleges

The 215 liberal arts colleges emphasize undergraduate education and award at least 50 percent of their degrees in the liberal arts.

Universities-Master's

Like the National Universities, universities-master's (as defined by the Carnegie Foundation) provide a full range of undergraduate programs and some master's level programs. They offer few, if any, doctoral programs. The 557 universities-master's are ranked within four geographic areas: North, South, Midwest, and West.

Comprehensive Colleges-Bachelor's

These institutions focus primarily on undergraduate education just as the liberal arts colleges do but grant fewer than 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines. At these schools, at least 10 percent of undergraduate degrees awarded are bachelor's degrees. There are 320 comprehensive colleges-bachelor's, ranked within four regions: North, South, Midwest, and West. Like all U.S. News categories, the regional groupings are derived from classifications established by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.

Specialty Schools

Looking for a school that specializes in textile arts or instrumental music? Colleges and universities that offer most or all of their degrees in fine arts, performing arts, business, and engineering are listed below. An additional group includes the five service academies. None of these programs are ranked, but pertinent data for each school are provided.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense for me.  We only have a few Doctorate programs, with a good range of Master's .  I don't know why I couldn't find that before.

Comment

Originally posted by valpotx
          Thanks, that makes a lot more sense for me. We only have a few Doctorate programs, with a good range of Master's . I don't know why I couldn't find that before.
          SDSU is a land-grant university and thus has a lot of outside research dollars flowing in (we're a high research activities institution, according to Carnegie) and quite a few STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) doctoral programs. And we're adding more. That's the main reason we're classified by the Carnegie Foundation with national peers like Oklahoma State University.

Comment

I understand US News is selling magazines and I haven't purchased the issue with the college rankings.  The magazine apparently permits institutions to print some of the information.  I've read SDSU's press release and USD's press release.  Both claim to be a top university because they're in the third tier of national universities, a group of 248.

SDSU can claim some nice distinctions when compared to in-state institutions:  freshman retention; greater percentage of top students entering; and alumni giving.

Now, is SDSU ranked higher than USD according to the magazine's criteria?  Anyone read the actual report in the magazine?  Does the magazine attempt to make such a ranking or does it just place schools in groups and then point out distinctive facts such as freshman retention etc.?

If SDSU is ranked overall higher than USD, then we should blow our horns about it!!  (If USD is ranked overall higher than SDSU, then, of course, something is suspect about the magazine's rating system!!)

My bottom line: I don't get too excited about a commercial magazine's efforts to sell its product. I think there are some relatively objective signs that State is growing in stature including the way it is perceived by incoming freshman (more want to go there), the freshman retention, the number of high-ranking high school grads entering etc. I do not need to buy a magazine to see those facts. Go State!

Comment

KELO website has a nice plug about being one of the best.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=0,50397

Comment

Working...
              X