Re: Flight Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Flight Program

It looks to me like we aren't making any points with the general public or public opinion today . . .

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...EWS03/60911021

SDSU abruptly ends flight training pact with Brookings company

BROOKINGS – South Dakota State University’s aviation program has ended its contract with Big Sioux Aviation, and company officials are trying to figure out what went wrong with a program that supplied the firm with most of its flight students.

The contract was ended without notice on Aug. 30, said Jim Jones of Big Sioux Aviation, the only flight training school at the Brookings Airport. Big Sioux Aviation has had a contract with the university since the aviation program began seven years ago.

The decision cannot be reversed, said Mike Reger, SDSU’s executive vice president for administration.

Big Sioux Aviation management and staff are hurt, Jones said. “We have complete faith in our program. Our only concern was just dumping it,” he said. “They could have given us 90 days, so we wouldn’t have to go to any extra expense.” . . . .  read more.

*From the Moderator

I split this story off from the Pres. Search article as I felt this story deserved its own thread.

Comment

This story was in the Collegian last week:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

No flights 'til further notice
      Student concerns drove split, says program head. Big Sioux very surprised.

Jeremy Fugleberg

Issue date: 9/6/06 Section: News

The SDSU Aviation program is grounded until further notice. The program abruptly cut ties with its long-time local provider of airplanes and instructors Aug. 31.

Program head Jeff Boulware said school timing and ongoing problems for students with Big Sioux Aviation drove the split.

"They had some concerns about operations at Big Sioux that we could never get resolved," he said. "As of right now, we're having no dealings with them at all. I think it's good to do a clean break and do it right."

The company, the only provider of airplanes and training at the Brookings Regional Airport, has been a close partner of SDSU's aviation education program since it began seven years ago.

Jim Jones, owner of Big Sioux Aviation, said the split came as an unwelcome surprise. He got a certified letter immediately ending the contract with SDSU on Aug. 31. That was the first he knew of SDSU's desire to end the relationship. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

SDSU has(had) an aviation program? I had never even heard of it. Was this something fairly recent?

Comment

yep we have an aviation program and degree, its been here at least 4 years.

Comment

I got my private through UND and had never even heard that SDSU had a program.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              yep we have an aviation program and degree, its been here at least 4 years.
              Its actually been here closer to ten years.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
              X