• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicoine selected

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,51268

*admin* - Corrected Chicoine's name in the thread subject

Re: Chicoine selected

A good choice, IMHO.

I hope he has great success in turning SDSU into an even bigger and better engine of economic development in the state, while also continuing to improve undergraduate instruction, graduate programs, research, athletics, and extension/outreach to the state.

It's a good day to be a Jackrabbit.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      It's a good day to be a Jackrabbit.
      SDSU has had a lot of good days recently. I like the choice myself. I also see he will be paid $300K per year. I'm glad to hear that also.

Go State!!!
      Go Jacks!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Congrats are in order, expectations are in place, results will follow, some good, some bad, hopefully a lot more good than bad. What an exciting time for SDSU and the state of South Dakota.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Welcome aboard Prez!

Now, get to work.

Comment

Look forward to the Chicoine Era where SDSU expands and grows to the University it should.

Comment

Sounds like a great choice. His background in fundraising and getting research dollars is exactly what SDSU needs to continue it's strong growth.

Congratulations to Mr. Chicoine and our deepest thanks to Dr. Miller!

All this and a football win, to think it's only Monday! This is going to be a good week!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Congradualations and thank you to the Board of Regents and the selection committe for coming up with a great choice. I wish Dr. Chicoine the best in leading SDSU into the future. Ideally one of the others would have been my choice and that is based strictly on the experience that we had with Dr. Miller in coming to SDSU with a unconnected view of what needs to be done. Maybe my notion is kind of goofy, but I think Dr Chicoine will work just fine. In The Brookings Register Print edition, it mentions that Dr Chicione was a NCAA Big Ten Representative for 11 years. So the guy knows a great deal about athletics programs and how they should be run. Not for a second will he not be paying attention to how SDSU athletics perform.

Comment

From the Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...47&page=23

Chicoine named SDSU president

BY REGISTER STAFF

Native South Dakotan, SDSU grad, to succeed Peggy Miller

David L. Chicoine, a native of Elk Point and a 1969 graduate of South Dakota State University, will become the 19th president of SDSU, the South Dakota Board of Regents announced Monday.
                  Chicoine is currently the vice president for technology and economic development at the University of Illinois. He replaces Peggy Gordon Miller, who will retire at the end of the year after serving SDSU as its president since 1998. . . . (read more)

I would like to offer up my congratulations to President Chicoine, welcome home! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...609290333/1161

Meet the newest Jackrabbit
                    Chicoine well-qualified - and facing a lot of work

PUBLISHED: September 29, 2006

It's not David Chicoine's heritage as a South Dakota farm boy that makes him a natural selection to be South Dakota State University's president.

Nor is it his status as an SDSU alum.

It's his education and his experience:

Bachelor's degree in agribusiness, master's degree in agricultural economics, master's degree in economics, doctorate in agricultural economics.

Vice president for technology and economic development at the University of Illinois.

Interim vice president for academic affairs, working with the president, trustees and others on the three University of Illinois campuses.

Chicoine was picked this week as the new SDSU president to replace the retiring Peggy Miller.

Stephanie Chase, political science major and member of the Board of Regents search committee, said his South Dakota roots were nice, but "he comes to SDSU with a knowledge of economic development and a diversifying role for a land-grant university."

Added Regent Terry Baloun, head of the search committee, "We are particularly pleased to have someone with proven experience in technology transfer and economic development to guide this emerging emphasis in public higher education." And maybe that will help draw students, as it draws grant money.

Chicoine pointed out that SDSU's future includes "research, innovation and engagement with the private sector." He will have challenges:

Stingy Legislature.

Declining pool of high school students from which to recruit SDSU students.

New NCAA Division I athletic program.

Stiff competition for grant money, combined with a lack of major local companies to feed and support research programs.

How Chicoine deals with the challenges will define his tenure at SDSU. He has a head start. Research grants are coming in. Ground recently was broken for a technology research park. The Jacks have joined the Mid-Continent Conference.

Chicoine's mission is to build on these - and especially, to attract students.

Welcome. And good luck.

Comment

Too bad he was already a Jackrabbit :

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                        Too bad he was already a Jackrabbit :
                        I thought the same thing when I read the headline.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                          [quote author=Jacks99 link=1159202688/0#10 date=1159537989]Too bad he was already a Jackrabbit :
                          I thought the same thing when I read the headline.[/quote]

Sure wouldn't want the facts getting in the way of a good headline.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Be careful who you blame. The person who authors an article is often not the same one who writes the headline.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
                              Be careful who you blame. The person who authors an article is often not the same one who writes the headline.
                              True. But headline writers have an obligation to be accurate, too.
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X