Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V.J. to Step Down

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

This is a bittersweet deal. I'm happy that V.J.'s speaking career is taking off, but it's sad to see him leaving his position at the alumni office. I have enjoyed hearing V.J. speak on several occassions and have been very fortunate to work with him. He is truely the epitome of the Yellow and Blue.

Thank you, V.J., for your service and dedication to SDSU and best wishes as you become a full-time speaker.

Re: V.J. to Step Down

No doubt VJ has accompolished a great deal in his ten year tenure. His service will be missed. I hope the search committee will find some as capable and dedicated to serve.

The Alumni Association is not about fund raising but more about bringing alums together as a group and more specifically as a family. The record keeping that is maintained, the Magazines, trips and other things is what keeps us together as a family and a visible force. I think separating the Alumni Assoication from the Foundation was a very wise decision that was made maybe 35 years ago.

Comment

VJ is a great guy and did a fantastic job. I miss some of his contributions to this board. Maybe he will return in a greater role now. I trust whoever they choose to fill this void will be just as dynamic as VJ. Good luck and don't be a stranger, VJ.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

VJ has poured his heart into SDSU for a long time and he has always had the focus in the right place, on the students! He has played a big part in many successes over the years in his roles at the Athletic Department and at The Foundation!

I wish him nothing but the best!

VJ, you can now come to "The Backyard" and "have one" pardner!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I must say this news caught me off guard so I needed a little time to absorb it.  I have since had time to reflect, and even had a chance to talk to V.J. over the weekend and although I am personally sad to see him go and know SDSU will miss him, I am also happy to see him doing what he wants to do.  A big thank you, and good luck to V.J., I know you will be successful in your next endeavor.  He will still be around in his official capacity for a while and I am sure he will be around as a fan, perhaps with a little more freedom to enjoy himself.  Thanks again for everything.  It’s a great day to be a Jackrabbit!

Go State!  

Comment

A story about VJ:

A few years ago I interviewed for a position with the SDSU Alumni Association. Doing publicity. I thought the interview went well, but in the end he decided to go with someone else. I e-mailed him, thanking him for the opportunity to interview and asked for any advice for future interviews.

I never expected a response.

But sure enough, he wrote me a very thoughtful e-mail, giving me some pointers on what I should do, including getting involved in community organizations. I think I took that to heart, as I'm now involved with Kiwanis in Madison, working on the public relations and membership comittees as well as deciding whether or not to take the president-elect position.

But the fact that he could have easily blown me off and "file 13-ed" my e-mail shows me he's a class act. Sadly, you don't seem to see much of that anymore. He's leaving some awfully big shoes to fill for the next director.

VJ, you don't know who I am, but I sure as heck remember you. Thank you, and good luck in your future endeavours.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

WHAT!?! That was my first reaction to seeing the headline for this thread. I usually only jump into this portion of the message board when I've read all the football and basketball postings, so I just saw the news. VJ is a class act and will be truly missed by SDSU.

Good luck in the next career VJ. If you are speaking in the Milwaukee/Madison area anytime please look me up.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I was fortunate to have a short conversation with VJ Saturday. He is a very busy man and he had a number of alums coming to him and expressing their surprise and wishing him the best for the future. One alum who I know mentioned that he had a candidate for replacement in mind, and VJ told this person he would be very happy to talk to him about the job and give him some pointers. He concluded by saying" Being the SDSU Alumni Executive Director, you not only have to like SDSU, but you have to love SDSU."

I admire it when a person finds himself in two functions that suites his personality and likes both functions, but find the courage to choose one over the other. He also mentioned that he just could no longer do both things and often he was arrriving at the Alumni Center at 4 AM to get things done in order to get back on the road to a speaking engagement. It appears he is making inroads into larger circles in public speaking that often do not include SDSU alums. So a choice had to be made.  

After making his choice, he is now free to take on any speaking engagement and many will be far away from Brookings.

I keeping thinking VJ will end up with a huge salary working full time for that little general store in Bentonville Arkansas.

After all this is where he found the richest man in town.

Comment

I had the great fortune of working closely with VJ's office during my three years in the athletic department. Never have I met anyone with the passion and knowledge of SDSU that VJ has. Also, if there is a more engaging speaker I have yet to meet that person as well. All that have come across VJ konw that SDSU will be missing a very valuable piece of the puzzle when he steps down. Replacing VJ, in my opinion, may be even harder to do that replacing Peggy (with all due respect). University president's are hired based on their past accomplishments, which to some extent can be measured. How does one measure what makes a great alumni director? The bar has been set very high my friends, and whomever steps into that office had better be ready to hit the ground running.

I wish VJ all the best as he steps into the next phase of his life. I only hope that one day I am in the audience for one of VJ's speeches.

Best wishes VJ!!
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                  X