Pride of the Dakotas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pride of the Dakotas

Just returned home from the Pride's indoor concert at Frost Arena. What a band. A great performance. The best news of all was that the Pride is the first collegiate band to be invited back to a 2nd Tournament of Roses Parade. They will return on January 1st, 2008. Good luck Pride and Congratulations.

Re: Pride of the Dakotas

Not to rain on the Pride's parade, but my wife tells me that her two sisters were in the Air Force Academy's Drum and Bugle Corps (their marching band) and were in the Rose Bowl Parade at least two and possibly three years in the late 70's/early 80's. It's possible I suppose that they're in a different category. Still . . . we'll need to put the "only band to be invited back" fact into the disputed category until we find confirmation . . .

But whatever, it's still a pretty darn big honor. Go Pride!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That was a fun trip! To bad I can't do it again! Maybe they can invite the alumni band.
      Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        Not to rain on the Pride's parade, but my wife tells me that her two sisters were in the Air Force Academy's Drum and Bugle Corps (their marching band) and were in the Rose Bowl Parade at least two and possibly three years in the late 70's/early 80's.  It's possible I suppose that they're in a different category.  Still . . . we'll need to put the "only band to be invited back" fact into the disputed category until we find confirmation . . .

But whatever, it's still a pretty darn big honor.  Go Pride!
        The first band is always a military band, I think it roates between the different branches.
        Go State! Go State!

Comment

Not to rain on the Pride's parade, but my wife tells me that her two sisters were in the Air Force Academy's Drum and Bugle Corps (their marching band) and were in the Rose Bowl Parade at least two and possibly three years in the late 70's/early 80's.  It's possible I suppose that they're in a different category.  Still . . . we'll need to put the "only band to be invited back" fact into the disputed category until we find confirmation . . .

But whatever, it's still a pretty darn big honor.  Go Pride!
          I just reported it as I heard it announced at Frost Arena. I agree with you that it is a tremendous honor. The seniors had been there before and the underclassmen were very fired up. they had no knowledge of this invitation until it was announced. They had video clips that played on the screen at Frost from the Mayor and city Manager in Brookings, Senators Johnson and Thune, and a letter was read by Peggy Miller from Gov. Rounds congratulating the Pride. All in all, a very special evening for the Pride as a lot of the members had their parents in the audience.

Comment

Air Force Academy's Drum and Bugle Corps (their marching band)
            Filbert,
            My son is in marching band (high school) and I have been "instructed" the past couple of years about these things. To me, they are the same, but to those involved, they are quite different. Thankfully, my son is a better student than I regarding this, but the focus is on quite different aspects. In one competition this year, his band placed second overall, but he told me that they were ahead of about 10 bands that were much better than them because they performed as a marching band and not a drum corp. Those other schools routines were very good, but they left a lot of points off the board because they didn't do some of the required items. Somebody who knows this better than I could probably explain the differences more thoroughly. My guess is that is why they have the different classifications.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
              [quote author=filbert link=1163303128/0#1 date=1163304644]Air Force Academy's Drum and Bugle Corps (their marching band)
              Filbert,
              My son is in marching band (high school) and I have been "instructed" the past couple of years about these things. To me, they are the same, but to those involved, they are quite different. Thankfully, my son is a better student than I regarding this, but the focus is on quite different aspects. In one competition this year, his band placed second overall, but he told me that they were ahead of about 10 bands that were much better than them because they performed as a marching band and not a drum corp. Those other schools routines were very good, but they left a lot of points off the board because they didn't do some of the required items. Somebody who knows this better than I could probably explain the differences more thoroughly. My guess is that is why they have the different classifications.
              [/quote]

Well, I did marry into pretty much an Air Force family, "for better or for worse." I'll buy the a) military band and/or b) 'drum/bugle' in different category from 'marching band' arguments for now.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

ROSE BOWL HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I think the award for being the most excited goes to me-I just about had a heart attack-I mean I was jumpin up and down and whoopin it up like crazy-I was actually surprised at the relatively reserved responses of the rest of my bandmates-maybe we were all too tired to fathom how freakin awesome this is!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck, now we just gotta get the team playin in the rose bowl game! 8-) I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!
                "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

wr54, stock up on sunscreen!

from "#1 Fan!"
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Oh, and the Pride of the Dakotas would take Tennessee's Pride of the Southland Band any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

Our Pride's drumline is twice, maybe three times the size, member-wise, of Tennessee's (I was at the Tennessee-LSU game a couple of weeks ago).

As a big plus, our Pride doesn't play "Rocky Top" 36,000 times on game day, starting with their gameday practice at around 10 am and going until the game is over.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I cant lie, I love the Pride of the Southland and UT and the great state of Tennessee, and I envy you for getting to that game! Oh, and I still get chills when i hear rocky top, even if they play it forty plus times a game!
                      "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

Originally posted by wr54
                        I cant lie, I love the Pride of the Southland and UT and the great state of Tennessee, and I envy you for getting to that game! Oh, and I still get chills when i hear rocky top, even if they play it forty plus times a game!
                        Don't get me wrong, I married into Big Orange, so Rocky Top's A-OK. It's just that Ring The Bells, or even the Pride's march cadence does it more for me.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

So WR, blare out "Ring the Bells" loud and true when you're in Pasadena!
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Hi....I don't think this has been talked about. But is your band going to perform at the NDSU/SDSU game this weekend? I am an NDSU alum and I have to give you guys props on your band they always put on a great performance!

Comment

The Pride won't be at the game on Saturday.

I'm not exactly sure of the exact reason, but money is probably the major factor as the Pride would have to charter six or seven buses (they had 310 members this year) to make the trip. Between finding money to help pay for the Pasadena trip next year, raising money for new instruments last year, and traveling to Pierre this fall for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, a trip to Fargo would likely have cost too much money for the music department.

Thundarette05, thanks for the compliment and welcome to the board!

Comment

Working...
                              X