South Dakota State New Science Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota State New Science Building

Here is a website with some drawings of the proposed South Dakota State New Science Building.  It has yet to be named.  It will be added to the south end of Shepard Hall.  The one story pharmacy wing which was added in the late 1970's or about 1980 will be bulldozed to make room for this building.  The one story part was built without proper footings for adding stories above.

http://www.sdsunewsciencebuilding.com/

The building, in addition to the current Shepard Hall, will house Pharmacy and Chemistry.

I think the estimated completion date is about 2010.

This will the the biggest $ amount building project to date on the SDSU campus.  About 6 million dollars still need to be raised so there will be competition with athletic facilities for capital improvement donations.

This need for this building is a part of the need for increased facilities for South Dakota's growing flagship university.

Re: South Dakota State New Science Building

Wow, thats a very large building. Hopefully this will allow the school of pharmacy to begin to accept additional candidates, with the extra space.

Do you know the total cost for the building?

Oh, I've also been told that a new engineering/math building is going to be constructed somewhere on campus, any body have information about that?

Comment

In addition to permitting more students to study pharmacy, the added space may also permit labs to be held early enough that we may attract athletes who are pharmacy students.

How many current athletes are in the pharmacy program?

Comment

Originally posted by JackerRabbit
        Wow, thats a very large building.  Hopefully this will allow the school of pharmacy to begin to accept additional candidates, with the extra space.

Do you know the total cost for the building?

Oh, I've also been told that a new engineering/math building is going to be constructed somewhere on campus, any body have information about that?
        The projected cost is $37,000,000.  The class size should grow a little but not to the point of doubling or anything like that.

There are occasional pharmacy majors in athletics.  I don't know if there are any right now.  The fifth year of pharmacy classes are held at the Sioux Falls campus, formerly known as USDSU.  This can cause problems for those who redshirt their freshman year unless they turn their pharmacy education into a seven year program.

To get an impression of how the new building will be oriented click the webside, click images, then click on the southwest aerial view.

http://www.sdsunewsciencebuilding.com/

You can see the barn on the left side of the image and the very corner of the Administration Building on the right side of the image.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, the new science building is about a $30 million-plus project. Much of the money is coming from the Regents' funding pool for buildings that comes from tuition. (SDSU didn't receive any money last time in order to get more funding to build the science building properly during this goaround- el presidente may have to add some info here.)

I believe that the new engineering building is supposed to be built south of Harding Hall and will serve as office and support space (and possibly as a replacement for Harding?). That bill has passed the Senate and is now in the House:

http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2007/53.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
            If memory serves me correctly, the new science building is about a $30 million-plus project. Much of the money is coming from the Regents' funding pool for buildings that comes from tuition. (SDSU didn't receive any money last time in order to get more funding to build the science building properly during this goaround- el presidente may have to add some info here.)

I believe that the new engineering building is supposed to be built south of Harding Hall and will serve as office and support space (and possibly as a replacement for Harding?). That bill has passed the Senate and is now in the House:

http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2007/53.htm
            Yeah, I think I heard that the building is going to be for electrical engineering and physics, so that some space will be freed up in Crothers. Not sure about Harding, being replaced.

I heard that this was a project slated for about 10-15 years from now, but a certain wine maker stepped up big to make it happen for the electrical engineering department this spring...

Comment

In my student days 1959-60, 1961-65, there were two very old buildings Old North and Old Central that stood where Shepard Hall was built. In the fall of 1959, I had a class on the top floor of old north, and climbing the rickety stairs to get to the assigned class room gave you the willey's as you felt the stair case could come tumbling down any minute. Plus, the prof smoked a pipe during class and you hoped the contents of his pipe never fell on the floor. In 1962 or there abouts both these buildings were razed in order to build Shepard Hall. Wow Shepard t was an impressive building I thought and now part of its going to come down for a new building. Thats progress I guess. I was a Econ major, but always respected the Eng and Pharm people, they were the students that I would have hoped to be.

It seems like in the early 1960's a number of new projects were being built such as CAS and Shepard, and it appears that neither was built for the future. CAS IMO has a number of defects such as the narrow isles and putting two sections together with no isle. These things are not fan friendly.

Also to as hear that one of the wing of Shepard was not built for additional stories is a bit of a surprise, but hindsight is so much better. You have to do what you must do.

The Pharmacy school is very important as is our Nursing program, and some other majors such as microbiology and Lab technolgy. If SDSU did have these majors in our curriculum, USD would really controll the Health Care system training in SD. I hope the money can be raised and the building constructed as Pharmacy has produced a number of good athletes who are now professionals. Pharmacy is a bell cow, no doubt about it.

Comment

Shepard Hall, as it stands today, is at least 3 combined buildings.  As you view it from the campus green you see the part that Haldersham mentions with the new one story wing (the wing that will be razed) on the right.  Behind that, on the east side, is Old Shepard Hall which was built in the early 1900's.  There is debate on whether or not the Old Shepard Hall should also be torn down during this building project.

The old part of the building is the much darker colored older bricks that we see typical of the early part of the 20th century.  Those who want to save the building argue that it is structurally sound and could easily be remodeled into useable quality office space and/or classrooms.

I think the decision will ultimately lie with the Board of Regents and I understand there are some very strong feelings about this subject on the Board.

Comment

The site plan for the science building does NOT show the Shepard Annex (which is strange name-wise since that building was built decades before Shepard). I believe that the Regents indicated that the Annex would have to be removed as they do not wish to maintain too much building space. It's a decision that some people on campus aren't fond of, but the benefits of a state-of-the-art science facility are too much to let the Annex stand in the way, IMHO. In addition, the long-future of other older buildings (particularly the Barn and Lincoln, in my mind) are more of a concern than the Shepard Annex.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                    The site plan for the science building does NOT show the Shepard Annex (which is strange name-wise since that building was built decades before Shepard). I believe that the Regents indicated that the Annex would have to be removed as they do not wish to maintain too much building space. It's a decision that some people on campus aren't fond of, but the benefits of a state-of-the-art science facility are too much to let the Annex stand in the way, IMHO. In addition, the long-future of other older buildings (particularly the Barn and Lincoln, in my mind) are more of a concern than the Shepard Annex.
                    Having spent too much time in the "Annex" in the late '70's before I figured out that chemistry wasn't the right major for me, I say...

Tear that sucker down. And have a party doing it!
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Old Shepard Hall is a disaster. Very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer and fall. It has too be torn down. It's time for a new building.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The annex is history, according to recent plans I have seen.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I agree Old Shepard hall has seen better years, normally I'm a sucker for old buildings, just something about them, all the history they have. But, there would need to be some major renovations to make that building more student and staff friendly. If one likes old buildings, Lincoln Music Hall, the old library, has some beautiful interior work. Also, it has had a President stroll through it, McKinnely, I believe. Anyways, I'm getting side tracked. I think it would pose a problem to tear them all down at once, because of space issues, classrooms, staff offices, and the like. It will be interesting where they put everybody when they tear down the single story portion.

Comment

President Coolidge dedicated Lincoln Library in 1927 on hos way back east from his Black Hills vacation.

Comment

My bad. :-[

Comment

Working...
                              X