Capital Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital Repairs

This probably doesn't deserve it's own topic but since the old HPER thread is locked I had to post this here. I knew this earlier because of our student government tuition and fees discussion but wanted to wait until it was official. The BOR packet for the April 12/13 meeting includes a $1.12 fee for M & R. This fee will go towards a bond that will pay off the critical needs on attachment III of Item V. These items include:

HPER Replace exterior concrete stairs  800,000
    Puglsey Center replace elevator    250,000
    Harding Hall Electrical upgrades     312,000
    Campus-wide fire alarm systems   1,700,000
    Administration building life safety   1,800,000
    Total at SDSU is 4,862,000

There is also an extensive athletic academics report at this meeting where we look good that I will try and post information from when I have more time.

Re: Capital Repairs

As a wise man once(or twice said on the bisonville board) I give this a +++++++ . Good work el_presidente.

Comment

shouldn't you be in class?????????? ;D

You know, you have to graduate in order to get a job after college

Nice work, I can definitely vouch for the needs of two of those projects.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Thanks El Presidente! It was nice to get an update on the status of the M & R bond process, and to see the Frost outside exit stairs among the projects. Maybe will open some eyes for some of thsoe posters, who said "just fix the stairs". Don't think some of them realized that the whole exit needs to be removed and rebuilt to the tune of $800,000 buckaroos!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
          Thanks El Presidente! It was nice to get an update on the status of the M & R bond process, and to see the Frost outside exit stairs among the projects. Maybe will open some eyes for some of thsoe posters, who said "just fix the stairs". Don't think some of them realized that the whole exit needs to be removed and rebuilt to the tune of $800,000 buckaroos!
          I too thank El President for all his work including this update. I knew the HPER stairs were a project, but thought it was much less than $800,000 for the fixing costs.. I suspect the old stairs have to be removed before any new constuction can begin. It all adds up. Its odd to see Pugsley Center is no longer the Pugsley Union. In fact I can't remember an elvator in that building. If there was one it was not available to the student body in the 1960's.

I think the Pugsley Union facilty was not all that bad, but it no doubt could never begin to serve 11,000 students. I think the new facility is very, very nice and definitely one of our bright spots on campuls.

Comment

Am I the only person whose eyebrows raise when they see those stairs costing $800,000 to replace and going... um, are you kidding me? Concrete and steel re-bar are not cheap anymore, but this seams a little steep. I'm familiar with construction and I've helped build more impressive structures for a fourth of that. Who knows, maybe I am crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
              Am I the only person whose eyebrows raise when they see those stairs costing $800,000 to replace and going... um, are you kidding me? Concrete and steel re-bar are not cheap anymore, but this seams a little steep. I'm familiar with construction and I've helped build more impressive structures for a fourth of that. Who knows, maybe I am crazy.
              Are they replacing both sets? Might explain some of the cost. It's nice to see some of the big deferred items getting taken care of.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Wow, close to a million just to replace some stairs. There's got to be something else happening there.

Comment

I thought I heard they were widening the staircases inside Frost to to get up to code, and that could be why it costs a little more. Not sure I could be wrong about that.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                    shouldn't you be in class?????????? ;D

You know, you have to graduate in order to get a job after college  

Nice work, I can definitely vouch for the needs of two of those projects.
                    Actually I don't have class on Thursday's...and only need 12 credits to graduate but I'm glad your paying attention, lol.

The puglsey elevator is more like a freight elevator. It has a metal gate you have to pull closed and also close the doors by hand. Sometimes it stops a foot or two short and you have to step up to get out of the elevator...that's fine for hauling equipment (the band uses it) but not for handicap/life saftey access.

As far as the 800,000 for the steps, I don't know. There could be something else but the entire bond is for projects that the state engineering office has deemed critical for fire or life safety. That means anything that is in the 800,000 is for fire code type issues. Maybe I can find out more at the meeting next week after the BOR passes the project.

Comment

A couple years ago I know that there was a plan to build enclossed staircases at both exits. I'm not sure if that is still the plan but it could explain the price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
                        A couple years ago I know that there was a plan to build enclossed staircases at both exits.  I'm not sure if that is still the plan but it could explain the price tag.  
                        I can remember using those exits after games in the late 70's and early 80's. If there had been a recent snowfall it was like going down an ice covered ramp. Covering them would be a good idea. I hope that it is in the plan.

Comment

Working...
                        X