Frat Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frat Fire

Apparently, last night Sigma Phi Delta burnt down. Just heard this from a friend.

Re: Frat Fire

Not saying this is related, but there have been a series of five or six fires in Brookings in the last month, including a bunch of garage fires that have been classified as arson.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Is Sigma Phi Delta the one by Crothers?
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

03/31/2007
        Brookings Fraternity Burns Down
        An early morning fire destroyed a fraternity house near the campus of South Dakota State University.

The fire broke out around 1:30 am at Sigma Phi Delta.

No one was hurt.

The Red Cross responded to the scene helping fraternity members displaced by the fire.

We'll have more information about the fire tonight on KELOLAND Weekend News.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
          03/31/2007
          Brookings Fraternity Burns Down
          An early morning fire destroyed a fraternity house near the campus of South Dakota State University.

The fire broke out around 1:30 am at Sigma Phi Delta.

No one was hurt.

The Red Cross responded to the scene helping fraternity members displaced by the fire.

We'll have more information about the fire tonight on KELOLAND Weekend News.

The URL: http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,55901

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
            Is Sigma Phi Delta the one by Crothers?
            Yes it is

Comment

So, wouldn't that be a sorority? The house directly across the street from Crothers is all girls. Either we have the wrong house or Keloland is using the wrong term. I'm going to head to campus soon and my office is in Crothers. I will know then I guess.

Comment

Sigma Phi Delta is a guys Engineering Fraternity. It is locate on 11th Ave. The one you are thinking of is AZD.

Comment

Yes, I saw. Its gutted. Bunch of people standing out front waving at the people driving by. Guess they seem to be making the best of a bad situation.

I just figured "the ONE by Crothers" would refer to the one right across the street. A bad deal. Hope it wasn't arson as there have been some recent arsons.

Comment

You could really smell the smoke on Main Street from that fire last night around 1:40. There have been a bunch of arson attempts in Brookings in the last week. Seems someone has been trying to burn garages, oil spots, and I even heard a car. Most of these activities have been around 3rd Street.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

http://www.keloland.com/News/News/Ne...cfm?ID=0,55910

Fraternity Burns Down At SDSU
                      Some fraternity members at South Dakota State University are without a place to live after a large fire destroyed their house overnight. Seven of the eighteen Sigma Phi Delta Fraternity members living in their chapter house are now having to find other places to live. When the fire started, it attracted people from all over campus.

Jordan Roddel is a member of another fraternity on campus. He was at the fire. "You feared the worst and then with the light rain that was coming down plus the fireman, there was smoke just billowing out of the house."

Roddel says the house is more than just a building to a fraternity. "The house is the heart of any chapter. It's where everyone meets, has meetings, gets together for social events. To have a house burn down is a real disaster for a chapter."

Which is why many people with the greek community were quick to help, including members of Chi Omega sorority. "We came over here and brought them the sandwiches and we're planning on making them supper and stuff later too," said member Amy Frerichs.

Chi Omega sister, Libby Lemaster said, "When you're a greek, you...especially at SDSU, we promote unity. That's what I was taught when I first joined and everybody just kind of helps each other out."

Roddell and the Chi Omega sisters say it would be hard to cope with losing your house. They witnessed that distress today, when the fraternity members were too upset to eat the food the women brought for them.
                      "I think they're kind of awestruck with this. They're like not even hungry cause it's just like...what do you do when something like this happens. It's just so sad," said Lemaster

Members of the Sigma Phi Delta were not ready to talk about the fire today. Deputy fire chief, Pete Bolzer says the fire started in a couch on the porch and then spread throughout the house. He says one person who was in the house was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. A firefighter broke his ankle while working to put out the flames. The fire is still under investigation.

I happen to be one ot those 18

Comment

Sorry to hear of the loss of the house. Glad no one was seriously hurt.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Again, I don't know if it's related, but the series of arson fires in Brookings over the last month (several garages, with cars in them, were total losses, and the freak who is starting them has also tried to burn down an apartment building) is really alarming.

It's one of those things that's really hard for authorities to solve. Apparently, the nutjob (we know it's one person since the police were able to chase him down the railroad tracks after one fire, but didn't catch him) is sneaking into garages and using gasoline in the garages to start the fires (or, taking the gas along and starting more). So probably the best way to be safe is to lock up your garage tight, if you can. Brookings has so many crummy, old garages, though, that this sociopath can probably go on burning stuff down for months unless he is caught.

It really makes you wonder about humanity that some wacko gets off destroying other people's property and putting people in serious danger. One of the fires nearly caught the house and a neighbor's house (with a 90-year-old woman in it) on fire. It's a very upsetting situation.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The Brookings Fire Department reports that the frat fire is suspicious and could be another case of arson.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70404002

Fund set up to help fraternity members displaced by fire

By Melanie Brandert
                              mbrander@argusleader.com
                              Published: April 4, 2007

A fund has been established at a Brookings bank to help seven South Dakota State University students and members of Sigma Phi Delta fraternity displaced by a fire on Saturday.

Donations can be made at Meta Bank, 600 Main Ave., Brookings, SD 57006, fraternity advisor Tim Andera said.

Proceeds will go toward replacing students’ and the fraternity’s lost property, he said. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X