X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should SDSU have a Vet school?

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...e9000d4b84.txt

S.D. seeing shortage of large animal veterinarians

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) -- Fewer veterinary school graduates are taking their talent, time and training to the farms and ranches of South Dakota. It's a trend seen in other farm states, too, in part because Americans love their pets.

The nation's 28 veterinary colleges are limited by space and staff to about 2,100 graduates annually, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Fewer are opting for careers in large animal care -- on the farm, in research or food safety -- and more are finding their niche in pet care.

Huron veterinarian Kevin Klozenbucher saw the rural veterinarian shortage coming six years ago when he was president of the South Dakota Veterinary Medical Association. . . .

South Dakota has 730 licensed veterinarians -- 365 of whom have a South Dakota address. The remainder may live in a neighboring state and work in South Dakota or remain licensed in the state but have moved, Holland said.

The American Veterinary Medical Association said the nation's livestock and meat industries may be threatened by a shortage of veterinarians specializing in bioterrorism and emergency preparedness, environmental health and food systems.

Veterinary schools -- like schools for dentists, physicians and lawyers -- must limit their enrollment, said David Zeman, an at-large director on the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges and head of the Veterinary Sciences Department at South Dakota State University in Brookings.

"You can only put out so many students per year based on how many professors you have to teach these students, how many labs you have to put these students at a bench in a science lab or in a surgery rotation," Zeman said.

Legislation in Congress would create a 10-year, $1.5 billion federal grants program to expand the nation's veterinary schools with a focus on public health issues.

South Dakota does not have a veterinary college but contracts with Iowa State University's veterinary school for spots for students meeting admission requirements.

The state pays the difference between Iowa resident tuition rates ($13,860) and nonresident tuition ($34,197) at ISU. In return, the student agrees to one year of practice in South Dakota for each academic year of tuition assistance.

A tax on parasiticides sold in South Dakota covers the tuition expenses.

Students who take the tuition money but don't practice in South Dakota must repay the money, plus interest.

Figures from the South Dakota Board of Regents show that since 1999, 29 ISU graduates who received tuition assistance returned to South Dakota to practice; 11 who went elsewhere have repaid $451,971 in tuition assistance. . . . (read more)

To me it seems that it may be time for the State of South Dakota and for SDSU to have a Vet school.

Go State!

Re: Should SDSU have a Vet school?

I think that SDSU should have a vet specializing in large animals (I don't know if there is a difference in schooling). A family friend who i now in general surgury but originally went to vet school said that over 90% of his college class went to pet care. SDSU is big in livestock and a vet school I think would do very well there. I know in my small town there is 2 vets but one is nearing retirement. And I imangine the same is through out the state.

Comment

Working...
    X