• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President's trip to Yankton

http://www.yankton.net/stories/07110...83657582.shtml

SDSU Head Tours Yankton

By: Randy Dockendorf

When David Chicoine wanted to know how he could help Yankton, the South Dakota State University president didn't send out a survey or an e-mail.

Instead, Chicoine left his Brookings office and came directly to Yankton to meet with local officials. After only six months as leader of the state's largest university, Chicoine has already established a reputation of traveling the state to meet with residents.

"It's important to see the communities of South Dakota and talk to the individuals about how SDSU can benefit them," he said during a Tuesday interview.

Chicoine and College of Engineering dean Lew Brown literally blew into town, as gusts of nearly 40 miles per hour gave their plane a powerful tail wind. "We cut the plane trip by 15 minutes," Chicoine said of the normally 40-minute flight from Brookings.

The breezy trip foreshadowed the men's whirlwind schedule. They met non-stop with Yankton leaders in health care, agriculture, banking, engineering and the media. The SDSU administrators ended their day at a reception for business leaders hosted by Mount Marty College president Tim Barry. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: President's trip to Yankton

The comments in the article about D1 athletics and willingness to help USD are interesting.

I support our president and his ability to build consensus. I think the fighting over dollars amongst the six state assisted universities has gone on all too long. Working with the others President Chicoine can maybe put a lid on this type of unproductive action. To have all private and public institutions presidents in one room is kind of a first. Its a great idea.

One thing that I have notice in the Volente recently is there seem to be a number of key people leaving USD. I suppose it just coincidence and most of those leaving were probably looking for a new opportunity. Thats unusual. I would be surprised if it were President Abbotts leadership style that was driving the revolving door.

Comment

Working...
    X