Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakota Corps Scholarship

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...707300304/1001

Scholarship helps retain skilled students in S.D.

By TERRY WOSTER
    twoster@midco.net
    Published: July 30, 2007

PIERRE - A tuition-free Dakota Corps Scholarship didn't push Mallory Minahan into pharmacy, but it will make her think twice about leaving South Dakota when she starts job hunting.

Minahan, 23, of Sioux Falls is in her sixth and final year of a pharmacy doctorate program at South Dakota State University. She'd already made that career choice when Gov. Mike Rounds used a combination of private contributions and various state funds to create the Dakota Corps Scholarship program.

The $5,000 that Minahan has received through the program in the past two years, though, will factor in her decision about where to begin her professional career.

Students who leave the state after graduation or who don't pursue one of the critical-needs occupations specified in the scholarship must repay the money.

"It isn't enough to keep me here if there were a really good opportunity somewhere, but it's enough that it will be a big factor in my decision," Minahan says. "I haven't decided yet if I'll go into hospital pharmacy or retail or what, but I'm pretty sure I'll start somewhere in South Dakota."

That's the immediate choice the Dakota Corps program wants its participants to make. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Working...
X