X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mascot News

http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/m...-2880440.shtml

Coming soon: new Jackrabbit designs
    Committee working closely with design firm to finalize new athletic mascot.

Heather Mangan

The SDSU community may be able to vote on a new Jackrabbit design as early as next week, Jackrabbit mascot redesign committee members said.

The committee held a teleconference April 23 with representatives from Phoenix Design Works, the New York City firm hired to redesign SDSU's mascot, said Jenny Crickard, the committee's liaison to the firm. The committee gave feedback on the firm's latest designs, as well as giving ideas using different logos and mascots, said committee member Kat Brandtjen.

The committee plans to narrow the search to three styles of jackrabbits - traditional, stylized and abstract - for the public to vote on. Brandtjen said that although the committee gave a few minor suggestions, it has pretty solid designs for the traditional and stylized rabbits. She said the focus is now on the abstract design.

The Collegian printed a version of the rabbit Jan. 31 that committee members said was close to the final product. Many students and alumni responded negatively to the realistic-looking design and several wrote letters to the editor. Brandtjen, who was uncomfortable about that design, is happier with what she has seen recently.

"I feel a lot better about the process and the direction the committee is going with it," she said. "The logos we have seen are vast improvements over what was out two months ago. They are much better-working models than the previous rabbit.

"I am more pleased, but I am still holding out that we'll see something that will pop. I hope we are going to something exciting out of the abstract rabbit."

Students' Association President Alex Brown, who was also not impressed with the first realistic design, is more comfortable with the latest designs. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Mascot News

I hope this process works this time and that it works quickly. Right now I'm hesitant to buy SDSU logo clothing because I want to wait for the new mascot design.

Comment

It's about time! I've been waiting VERY patiently... I hope they make up their mind soon so I can order a "onesie" with the new logo for my neice.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I heard the new logo mascot could look more agressive, buff, vicious, etc. can anyone back me up on that?????

Comment

I think fast, aggressive rabbit will be a good mascot

Comment

Keep in mind that the new logo will also replace the Campanile/SDSU logo as the official logo of the university. So it is more than an athletics logo.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a University use it's athetlic logo to double with their university logo. They always have separate logos for each so I'd be surprised if SDSU used it's athletic logo with their academic identity.

Comment

Why not get a real live one to keep as a mascot. He could wear a little jersey or something and he could be kept on the side lines like a lot of schools do with having some form of an animal as a mascot. But i am sure animal rights people could see a problem with that. I would guess animal mascots are taken very good care of and we there is a lot of confusion what different people want for a logo, get rid of any pictures just keep the name and have a real live jack rabbit as a mascot.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                  Yeah, I just made that up... Oh, wait, President Chicoine decided that. You think I would just pull something like that out of the air?

I'm pretty sure we won't be the first university to have a single logo identity. It's actually good marketing to unify your identity. Plus, we're not SDSU anymore. That's San Diego State. So the Campanile/SDSU logo is out.
                  We're not SDSU anymore? You suggest we won't be calling ourselves SDSU just because San Diego State University goes by SDSU. I was not aware that any decision was made about not calling ourselves SDSU or that the Campanile/SDSU logo is "out".

I'm looking forward to reading and hearing more on mascot changes. I guess we'll find out if the marketing gurus have some ideas on a unified approach to the university in general and athletics and what such a unified approach means when carried out.

Comment

You can vote on the new logo.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ma...igns/Index.cfm

Comment

In my opinion these aren't very good either. Progress has been made but I don't care for any of them. I want something that jumps out at me...I'm not seeing anything close to that here.

Comment

Yeah, still not so impressed. Is it time yet to open the design to art students and other people who would be interested in submitting a design. I really dont think we have much to lose by doing that. Atleast they are asking for input.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I'm not really thrilled with them either, but I think I could live with #1 or #3. They are making progress but I'm still not 100% conviced with the choices at this point.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

hopefully with the comments they recieve they will be able to make some changes to what peole would actually like to see. #3 atleast looked almost sleek.

Comment

Not impressed at all. Where's the color? The middle desing is freaky looking, like out of a bad horror movie (night of the lepus anyone?) The blocky one at the bottom is horrible. The ones with the swoosh makes it look like it's pooping or something. I guess I've complained enough, being a graphic design graduate I guess it's time to put my money where my mouth is. I'll see if I can't whip up something better, and post it later. Probably won't be for a while though because I'm going to be busy with moving for the next month.

Comment

Working...
                              X