Baseball 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball 2008

In 2008 College Baseball will have a common practice start date in the traditional segment on Feberuary 1st. Common start date for games will be the last weekend in February. New field on campus..Mid-Con great fit for baseball..more home games..baseball will return to greatness as a DI school..

thanks for having a baseball site

Re: Baseball 2008

Just to set the record straight, I saw a comment somewhere else about our new field. The field on campus is just a practice field. We will continue to play at Bob Shelden field. If you haven't heard, or haven't been by Shelden, the new scoreboard is up, and the fence has been moved back, which was impossible before with the old scoreboard. It's a great place to play for the forseeable future (with everything else on the sports platter at SDSU). The players are very happy, however, that they can now go a block to the new practice field.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
      Just to set the record straight, I saw a comment somewhere else about our new field. The field on campus is just a practice field. We will continue to play at Bob Shelden field. If you haven't heard, or haven't been by Shelden, the new scoreboard is up, and the fence has been moved back, which was impossible before with the old scoreboard. It's a great place to play for the forseeable future (with everything else on the sports platter at SDSU). The players are very happy, however, that they can now go a block to the new practice field.
      I believe you are wrong about the new field. The field on campus will be the new home field for the Jacks when completed. They are hoping to be playing there this year.

Comment

I too heard that Bob Sheldon will be the home of Jacks baseball indefinetely. The field on campus does not even have any dugouts of any kind. At least not since I last drove by there.

Comment

The long range plan has the on-campus baseball and softball stadiums being built out with stands, dugouts, etc. No idea when (if ever) that will actually happen--some time after the student-athlete development center and the Coughlin-Alumni renovation, I'd guess, which will both take some time.

I think that Baseball will be at Bob Shelden for a while, unless one of us hits a big Powerball jackpot.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This is not the case. The field on campus will be the host of all games once it is a suitable venue to host games. That doesn't happen though until, as you said, dugouts are built first and foremost. After that some sort of grandstand needs to be built but that isn't going to happen until the money is raised. And with the grandstand projected to cost over $1 million that might be a while.

I'd say if you are a die hard SDSU baseball fan that you give Coach Christiansen a call and he will explain the future of the stadium to you.

Comment

If the future of baseball is on campus, why spend money to fix up Bob Sheldon? Sounds like a waste of money on a short term fix.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                If the future of baseball is on campus, why spend money to fix up Bob Sheldon? Sounds like a waste of money on a short term fix.
                The Jacks aren't the only team to play at Bob Sheldon. That field rarely sees more than a day or two of rest in a row throughout the summer. It's one of the nicest fields in the state. Even before the new scoreboard and moving the fence back. Hardly a waste of money.

Comment

If SDSU is sticking large chunks of money into a stadium they potentially won't be using in a few years. Then, yes, that would be a waste of money.

Comment

If SDSU is sticking large chunks of money into a stadium they potentially won't be using in a few years. Then, yes, that would be a waste of money.
                    Considering that there are several projects ahead of an on-campus baseball stadium right now, helping improve Bod Sheldon is a prudent move. It might be 10-15 years before we're able to have the type of on-campus facility that we want. In addition, helping with stadium costs does build goodwill in the community, which will likely help SDSU when we need a little extra money for a particular project.

There has been numerous other projects in recent years in which SDSU and the Brookings community has collaborated (to the benefit of both) such as the Performing Arts Center, the lights at CAS, and the new soccer complex.

Comment

I see your point if the Bob is a more longer term option and the good-will with the community is important too. We may never be able to pay BHS back for those lights at CAS. How many years of use of the field do we owe them? Are they going to pony up for some more renovations? Maybe field turff would have been a better investment. The extra games do make a difference even during a year where there isn't some kind of natrual or man made disaster on the field. The soccer fields are a real nice deal too, I bet their was a lot of goodwill built with the soccer moms of Brookings, the field situated very conveniently on the south side of town. If that student-athlete developmental center ever gets built then most likely the field on campus will probably be paved over for a new parking lot anyways. :

This was just a rant and is by no means directed at anyone particular.

Comment

I see your point if the Bob is a more longer term option and the good-will with the community is important too. We may never be able to pay BHS back for those lights at CAS. How many years of use of the field do we owe them? Are they going to pony up for some more renovations? Maybe field turff would have been a better investment. The extra games do make a difference even during a year where there isn't some kind of natrual or man made disaster on the field. The soccer fields are a real nice deal too, I bet their was a lot of goodwill built with the soccer moms of Brookings, the field situated very conveniently on the south side of town.  If that student-athlete developmental center ever gets built then most likely the field on campus will probably be paved over for a new parking lot anyways.  :
                        This was just a rant and is by no means directed at anyone particular.
                        You just brought back some bad memories SD-State!   :'(
                        “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Y'all need to get up to campus and have the athletic department show you a copy of their athletic facilities master plan.

The answers to your questions are in there.

They're being pretty consistent in sticking to that master plan so far.

In that plan, an on-campus baseball stadium is in the section "Long Term Sport and Recreation Additions." I'd draw attention to the words "Long Term" in that section title.

In contrast, most of the facilities improvements which are currently in process, or in the pipeline are in the section "Athletic Campus Facility Improvements". Here are the facilities improvements in envisioned in that section:
                          - Student Athlete Development Center (offices, football/other sport locker rooms, orthopedic clinic, etc.)
                          - Multi-sport Indoor Athletic Practice Facility (football practice, fieldhouse, indoor track event venue)
                          - HPER Building Renovation/Frost Arena (locker room renovations, office space, etc.)
                          - Coughlin-Alumni Stadium New West Grandstand with Press Box (concept includes an indoor club level, new restrooms/concession, etc.)
                          - Coughlin-Alumni Stadium New East Grandstand (concept basically matches west side but without press box)
                          - Coughlin-Alumni Stadium Improvements (scoreboards Field Turf, etc.)
                          - Softball Complex (bleachers, press box)
                          - Track & Field Complex (competition track, grandstand, press box--although there was some talk a while back about eventually putting a new basketball arena next to US 14 bypass where the track complex is currently planned--chew on that for a while . . . )
                          - Equestrian Center (under construction now)

Future parking lots, etc. have already been located on the Master Plan.

There is a plan. It's largely being followed. Playing baseball on-campus is way down the line--it isn't an immediate need according to the master plan, but a useable on-campus practice field is a more immediate need. That's why they've done the work they've done and are doing with the on-campus baseball field.

I think the Jacks will be playing in Bob Sheldon for a while yet.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I know its a tough pill to swallow...especially for the baseball alum that played at Heuther Field just north of the HPER building....but making that area into a parking lot was on the campus master plan for an extended period of time. As with the move to Division I....CHANGE.....is not always easy....but I commend the athletic department for accelerating the athletic master plan and bringing baseball back to campus.

Congrats to the baseball team on the start of their season!

Comment

Master Plan. :-/ More of a wish list or a letter to Santa Claus, but that needs not to be discussed here.

Comment

Working...
                              X