Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Sheldon Field

Originally posted by Jacks02
    Man, the offense just keeps piling on the runs.  Its too bad we don't get some home games to enjoy watching these guys.
    Does not look like that will happen. SDSU's website shows that they play IPFW on the 12/13 at Bob Sheldon field, but IPFW site shows the DH on the 12th at Sioux Falls and the DH on the 13th at Huron. Not 100% sure what is going on, but appears to be a p#$$ing contest between Reggie and the Park & Rec department. It's to bad they can't sit down and iron out the problems.

Re: Jacks take two from IPFW

Reggie talked about having all the issues worked out after the Utah Valley State games and that the IPFW home games would be played in Brookings.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      Reggie talked about having all the issues worked out after the Utah Valley State games and that the IPFW home games would be played in Brookings.

Go State!  
      I hope so.

Comment

I would be very upset if the games are not in Brookings. I can see playing in SF but Huron? That seems like a slap in the face to everyone in Brookings. Especially the City and Friends of Baseball that take alot of pride in Bob Sheldon Field. I know he thinks the fences are too close and he is probably right for college, but for the rest of the teams that play there the fences are just fine. The funny thing about the whole thing to me is the ball does not carry all that well at Bob Sheldon Field. Cross winds usually knock the ball down. Just think if SDSU still played at old Huether Field. The field was bigger, but the ball carried well there. It was literally a wind tunnel the way the wind comes across campus when the wind blew from the south and southwest. I remember a game there when I believe Ryan Krogman hit a homerun over the trees across the street in the south endzone of CAF. Amazing!

I also hear some significant money could be coming to finish the current field. I would not want to bite the hand that feeds you. If I were Reggie or SDSU.

The last I heard the City was moving right field fences back for the IPFW series and then moving them back in for the rest of the summer. Did something change?
        We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

The way I look at it....both teams have to play on the same field. Short fence or not. SDSU can pop one over the short porch just as easy as the other team. Kinda sick of hearing about the short fence issues. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit
            The way I look at it....both teams have to play on the same field.  Short fence or not.  SDSU can pop one over the short porch just as easy as the other team.  Kinda sick of hearing about the short fence issues.  Anyone else?
            I think Reggie is concerned about the quality of the product that is out on the field.  Personally, I don't enjoy watching 15-14 slugfests every time there's a little bit of wind blowing out.  Granted, there were plenty of high scoring games in Huether Field, (usually mid-week games when the pitching was very thin on both teams) but I think Huether played much deeper than Sheldon does overall.  Mainly because of the deeper power alleys and the 425 ft center field. Maybe this issue will lead to a positive and help move along the building of the new on-campus stadium.  

That being said, Montana is 100% right. Both teams need to play with it regardless of the depth of the fences.
            “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

SDSU plays baseball games all over the state, Huron is a good place to play, sioux falls is good rapid is good... I believe their was plenty of games scheduled for SDSU at brookings just the fact that it was underwater early cut into those games... When SDSU finishes an on campus stadium the majority of the games will be played in Brookings but until that they are sharing the field with the community, and playing games accross the state does wonders with recruitng.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                SDSU plays baseball games all over the state, Huron is a good place to play, sioux falls is good rapid is good... I believe their was plenty of games scheduled for SDSU at brookings just the fact that it was underwater early cut into those games... When SDSU finishes an on campus stadium the majority of the games will be played in Brookings but until that they are sharing the field with the community, and playing games accross the state does wonders with recruitng.
                Get the facts Joeboo before you post. Brookings lost 1 game due to snow on the field. That was the 27th of March. That is when Reggie saw that the fences were closer than last season. The problem is lack of communication between Reggie and the Prak & Rec . dept. Therefore SDSU chose to move games to Mitchell, Sioux Falls, and Huron. The field was never underwater.

Comment

Playing games across the state does wonders for recruiting? LOL. Maybe you should have posted this on you blog. For one South Dakota is not exactly a "hot bed" for baseball talent. Short seasons don't help that fact so I'm guessing that recruiting is not the reason they are playing games all over the state. If it was we would pry be playing some home games in California and Nevada, among others. One question you ever played baseball at Memorial in Huron? Not the greatest place to play not bad though either. In my opinion Bob Sheldon is way better that Huron.

Comment

Mitchell was because of weather and Rapid City was for convenience with UNC.

I think Huron is maybe not the best idea in the world, but I can totally see Reggie's point if the field is too small for college baseball.  He has pitchers on his team who are likely trying to play at the next level, he would be doing a disservice to them putting them on a field where they give up a ton of home runs. Although I'm sure some of the hitters on the team may disagree for the opposite reason  

I do think something needs to be worked out with the City, and not just with the baseball field.  There needs to be some standards put in place for the football field as well.  We are a DI institution now, the athletic teams shouldn't have to play on sub-standard playing conditions because the high school team tore up the field the night before (talking football now).  In the same respect, the city moving fences in (if that is the case) without first talking with SDSU who was a partner in renovations to the field, was a bad move by the City as well.

Its one thing for the University to move up their athletic programs to a higher division, its another for the the same local city parks department to try to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
                      Mitchell was because of weather and Rapid City was for convenience with UNC.

I think Rapid City had everything to do with the fact that most of the South Dakota kids on the team are from Rapid and that Post 22 is a great place for us to pick up future Jackrabbit stars. It also was a nice PR move and benefited our Alumni base in West River.

Go State!

Comment

Bob Sheldon Field

It appears that we need to start a thread on this topic:

Go State!

Comment

Re: Bob Sheldon Field

In the paper out here (Rapid City Journal) it said that he likes to schedule a home game near the home town of players on the team.. I just assumed thats why they were playing in Huron, as far as the short Fence I don't know much about it, I know it was short last season and if it is shorter I could see why you wouldn't want to play too many games there, baseball is an odd sport, you can build your team around your stadium and I think that SDSU isn't built around the field in brookings and is looking at other fields in the area... How far away is the on campus stadium to be complete?? As for recruiting, SDSU has been recruiting instate really well since going D-I, I know South Dakota doesn't produce alot of baseball talent but it does produce its fair share..

Comment

I attended the 1st game of the fastpitch DH with Dakota State and was told that the IPFW games will be at Bob Sheldon field in Brookings. The issues have been resolved.

Comment

Isn't about half of the outfield fence Ivery covered? First of all I didn't know you could move the fences and if you ware why move them closer, it was already viewed as a hitters ball park... As far as Bob Sheldon goes no its not a D-I facility but eventually when an on campus one is completed SDSU will have a nice place to play in but until then Bob Sheldon will have to due... I have played baseball on many fields and as a player its more how the field is maintained then the dimentions of the park...

Comment

Working...
                              X