• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rules

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...baseball_N.htm

NCAA targets academics in baseball

By Jack Carey, USA TODAY
    College baseball players will no longer be able to transfer from one school to another without sitting out a year and teams that underperform academically will have their playing schedules reduced under proposals adopted Thursday by the NCAA Board of Directors.
    "I think this will be a sea change in the academic culture of baseball," said Walter Harrison, chair of the NCAA Executive Committee and president of the University of Hartford.

A baseball academic enhancement committee, formed to study the sport's academic problems a year ago, proposed a four-pronged package to the board, committee chairman Ron Wellman said Thursday.

The group was put together a year ago when the Board of Directors threatened an across-the board reduction in baseball's schedule after the sport's Academic Progress Rate (APR) was deemed to be substandard.

The APR is the NCAA's tool for measuring classroom achievement. It's based on two equal parts: how long an athlete remains at a specific school and the athlete's advancement toward a degree. . . .

Wellman outlined the proposals, which passed Thursday and are effective Aug. 1, 2008:

•Players must be academically certified for the fall term in order to play the next spring. This will encourage players to take more courses during the season and in summer school.

•Players must now have a year in residence if they transfer from one school to another.

•Teams will continue to offer a maximum of 11.7 scholarships per roster, but each player will now receive a minimum of the equivalent of 33% of a grant-in- aid. The maximum number of players who can be on scholarship will be 27. Currently there is no limit.

•Playing schedules for teams that fall below an APR score of 900 will be reduced by 10%. Teams currently can play 56 games, which would thus be reduced to 50. The NCAA says a score of 925 equates to about a 60% graduation rate. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: New Rules

You mean they could before??? :-?
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

This article shows that there are many more people in D1 who are very concerned about academic standards and graduation rates. This is the biggest surprise about D1, and that is the committees who take academics very seriously. Not to be redundant, but academic standards were a big concern among naysayers in going D1 nearly four years ago,

The changes seem to be in line with with the certification process currently going on at SDSU. I don't know how close we are in terms of offering 11.7 scholarships for Baseball. I suspect we offer more than what we did offer at D2, but would be surprised to find out that we are at the maximum.

Comment

We are at 7 now, we were at 4 in the D-II days if I recall correctly.

Go State!

Comment

Would the 27 scholarship players and 1/3 minimum scholarship mean that we either need to find 2 more scholarships or have only 21 players on the roster? It's a little confusing when a sport isn't fully funded.

Comment

Not sure, but I can tell you that our scholarship total is going up for the '08 season from 7 to 8.25 per the 2006-07 Athletics Annual Report.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit
              Would the 27 scholarship players and 1/3 minimum scholarship mean that we either need to find 2 more scholarships or have only 21 players on the roster? It's a little confusing when a sport isn't fully funded.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your question right, but I'd assume if we weren't fully funded some of the players would be walk-on players like football with maybe a chance to earn sholarships down the road as the team adds more and/or the player earns it from getting playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/2007-04-26-ncaa-academics-baseball_N.htm

NCAA targets academics in baseball

By Jack Carey, USA TODAY
                College baseball players will no longer be able to transfer from one school to another without sitting out a year and teams that underperform academically will have their playing schedules reduced under proposals adopted Thursday by the NCAA Board of Directors.
                "I think this will be a sea change in the academic culture of baseball," said Walter Harrison, chair of the NCAA Executive Committee and president of the University of Hartford.

A baseball academic enhancement committee, formed to study the sport's academic problems a year ago, proposed a four-pronged package to the board, committee chairman Ron Wellman said Thursday.

The group was put together a year ago when the Board of Directors threatened an across-the board reduction in baseball's schedule after the sport's Academic Progress Rate (APR) was deemed to be substandard.

The APR is the NCAA's tool for measuring classroom achievement. It's based on two equal parts: how long an athlete remains at a specific school and the athlete's advancement toward a degree.  .  .  .

Wellman outlined the proposals, which passed Thursday and are effective Aug. 1, 2008:

•Players must be academically certified for the fall term in order to play the next spring. This will encourage players to take more courses during the season and in summer school.

•Players must now have a year in residence if they transfer from one school to another.

•Teams will continue to offer a maximum of 11.7 scholarships per roster, but each player will now receive a minimum of the equivalent of 33% of a grant-in- aid. The maximum number of players who can be on scholarship will be 27. Currently there is no limit.

•Playing schedules for teams that fall below an APR score of 900 will be reduced by 10%. Teams currently can play 56 games, which would thus be reduced to 50. The NCAA says a score of 925 equates to about a 60% graduation rate.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

The transfer rule if anything would prolly help SDSU but I don't see it hurting SDSU too much... as far as the scholarship money disposal that might hurt SDSU alil bit because I believe SDSU gives alot of small scholarships out

Comment

Define "prolly" and "alil".

Comment

That is where my confusion lies. It appears that we will no longer be able to give out $500 schollies since the article indicates that 1/3 is the minimum amount. I figure that to mean about $3000 or am I off on that. So, if our number goes up to 8.25 in 08 we should be able to have a maximum of 25 scholarship players.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                      Define "prolly" and "alil".
                      prolly---probally
                      alil--- a little or a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit
                        That is where my confusion lies. It appears that we will no longer be able to give out $500 schollies since the article indicates that 1/3 is the minimum amount. I figure that to mean about $3000 or am I off on that. So, if our number goes up to 8.25 in 08 we should be able to have a maximum of 25 scholarship players.
                        The thing I don't understand is the 1/3 with federal aid because that would be depending on person because one person doesn't get any and the next could be getting over the 1/3...

Comment

Working...
                        X