Next Season Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Season Preview

I'm starting to get excited for next years season in the Mid-Con, I did a quick breakdown of the teams.

Centenary 7-12 (1-3) 256
    record vs. RPI under 200 (1-11) Win over Arkansas Little Rock (200)

Players Lost: 2
    2 Senior Starters, #2 and #3 leaders in scoring.

Returning Studs:
    Sophmore Guard - Tyrone Hamilton 16.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.5 apg

Overview:
    They'll have to make up the 2 seniors they lost, but it looks like they have good size
    to replace them. Probally won't be much better or worse next year.

IUPUI 7-9 (1-2) 255
    record vs rpi 200 and under: (0-9)

Players Lost: 3
    2 starters, 1 contributer. #2, #5, #6 scorers

Returning Studs:
    Jr Guard George Hill  14.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2 apg - has only p.ayed 5 games because of injured foot and is applying for red-shirt. averaged 18 ppg as a sophmore.
    Jr Guard Austin Montgomery 12.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.4 apg

Overview:
    Having a rough season without their key player George Hill, with him back next year they will have a better team.

UMKC 7-11 (2-1) 259
    record vs RPI under 200 (4-8) Wins over Marshall 134, Chicago State 153, Florida Atlantic 160,

Players Lost: 4
    2 starters, 1 contributer, 1 non-contributer. They're gonna miss Quinton Day's 18ppg. They lose their #1, #3, #7, & #11 scorers.

Returning Studs:
    Jr Forward Brent Stevens 11.0ppg, 3.9rpg,  0.9 apg

Overiview:
    Losing Starts Quintin Day (18ppg) and F Dee Ayuba will hurt the kangaroos and I would guess they won't have as good of a team next year.

Oakland 10-9 (3-0) 107
    record vs RPI over 200 - (4-9) Wins over Toledo 97, Northeastern 188, Wisconsin GB 199

Players Lost 3
    2 starters, 1 contributer. They lose their #1, #2, #7 scorers

Returning Studs:
    So Erik Kangas 11.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.2 apg

Overview:
    Oakland has a pretty good team this year but I'm guessing they won't be as good next year after losing their top 2 scorers.

Oral Roberts 11-7 (4-0) 108
    Wins over 200 rpi and under - (4-6) Wins over Kansas 17, Setan Hall 95,

They lose 2 starters who are their #1 & #2 scorers. They average 37 ppg between them.

Returning Studs:
    So Forward Marchello Vealy (8.2ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.9 apg)

Overview:
    Oral Roberts is without much doubt the best team this year in the midcon but they will be hit hard next year with two of the top players in the conference graduating. Caleb Green 20 ppg and Ken Hutt 17 ppg. I'm guessing they won't be as good next year.

Southern Utah 11-7 (1-2) 190
    Wins over 200rpi and under - (4-6) Wins over Chicago St 153, Utah Valley St 162, Utah 164, Weber St 185

Players Lost: 3
    2 starters, 1 non-contributer. They lose their #1, #2, #9 scorers

Returning Studs
    Jr Forward Nurudeen Adepoju (10.1ppg, 3.4 rpg, .7 apg)

Overview
    Like Oakland and Oral Roberts the Thunderbirds lose their top 2 scorers, but it seems that they have better depth than the other two schools. Their next 4 top scorers are all juniors this year.

Western Illinois  4-14 (0-4) 335
    Wins over 200rpi or under - (0-5) none

1 Starter, 1 Contributer. They lose their #1, #5 scorers.

Returning Studs:
    Jr Guard David Jackson (12.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.2 apg)

Overview:
    You can't get much worse than W. Illinois. Next year they will have 5 seniors on the team which should help.

IPFW 7-11  281
    wins over 200rpi and under - (0-8)

Lost players: 3
    3 Starters. They lose thier #3, #4, #7 scorers

Returning Studs:
    Jr Forward DeWitt Scott (11.9ppg, 2.1 rbg, .6 apg)

Overview:
    Although they lose 3 starters, it seems that IPFW has the depth to recover. They also bring back their top 2 scorers.

NDSU 10-6  126
    Wins over RPI of 200 and under - (3-5) Wins over Marquette 39, Princeton 193, Wisconsin GB 199

Players Lost: 1
    Starter Andre Brown.

Studs Returning:
    So G Ben Woodside (15.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 5.7 apg)
    So G Mike Nelson (15.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.3 apg)
    So F Brett Winkleman (14.9 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 2.0)

Overview:
    NDSU will have a good cahnce of winning the mid-con in their first year of conference play. Thier biggest problem is lack of depth, and any offense from their inside game. The loss of Andre Smith (17 ppg, 10 rpg) will really hurt and thier other big man Lucas Moormann will need offseason surgery to repair his ACL.

SDSU 4-13  323
    Wins over rpi 200 and under - (0-7)

Players Lost - 2
    1 starter, 1 contributer.  Jacks lose thier #4 and #7 scorers

Returning Studs:
    So Guard Matt Cadwell (13.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.8 apg)
    Jr Forward Ben Beran (didn't play this season) 05-06 (12.1ppg, 5.4 rpg)
    Jr Center Mohammad Berte (didn't play this season) 05-06 (8.5ppg, 7.2 rpg)
    Fr Forward Kai Williams (9.7 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.5 apg)
    Fr Guard Garrett Callahan (9.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.3 apg)

Overview:
    Should be much improved next year and should sneak up on teams and have a chance to compete for the mid con title. The addition of beran, berte, cordova should greatly improve the post positions and year under williams, callahan, and yackley's belt will also help.

Of course everything above is just a guess, I haven't ever even seen any teams besides ipfw, ndsu, sdsu play and I have no idea about what depth or what freshman will be coming in.
    Here's to the mid-con in 07-08!

Re: Next Season Preview

I would say we're not going to be able to compete for a Mid-Con title yet...But we will have a middle of the pack team. We have so much we are lacking right now i.e. experience, depth, versitility. We will compete, just not for a title unless something HUGE happens to the team.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006
      SDSU 4-13  323
      Wins over rpi 200 and under - (0-7)

Players Lost - 2
      1 starter, 1 contributer.  Jacks lose thier #4 and #7 scorers

Returning Studs:
      Jr Guard Matt Cadwell (13.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.8 apg)
      Jr Forward Ben Beran (didn't play this season) 05-06 (12.1ppg, 5.4 rpg)
      Jr Center Mohammad Berte (didn't play this season) 05-06 (8.5ppg, 7.2 rpg)
      Fr Forward Kai Williams (9.7 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.5 apg)
      Fr Guard Garrett Callahan (9.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.3 apg)

All looks good, except Cadwell is just a sophomore this season.

Comment

I'm of course biased towards the Jacks but I think we have a chance next year. We beat UMKC with only 7 players at UMKC who was picked to finish 3rd this year. Plus the Mid-Con is one of the weakest conferences and the best teams (Oakland, Oral Roberts) both lose their star players where as we gain two seniors, size, and a lot of experience out of this years freshman. It might be wishful thinking, but I think we have a decent shot.

Comment

I'm of course biased towards the Jacks but I think we have a chance next year. We beat UMKC with only 7 players at UMKC who was picked to finish 3rd this year. Plus the Mid-Con is one of the weakest conferences and the best teams (Oakland, Oral Roberts) both lose their star players where as we gain two seniors, size, and a lot of experience out of this years freshman. It might be wishful thinking, but I think we have a decent shot.
          Its definitely wishful thinking to expect a team that struggles to win any game this year to compete for a conference title next year.  Even with the addition of Beren and Berte we are still a marginal DI team at best.  We should not expect this team to compete for a league title.  If they do, great, but to expect it is irresponsible thinking in my opinion.  Beren was a good player before and he will be a good player now.  He is not the kind of guy who carries a team to a league title at the DI level.  Berte is a role player who is a decent rebounder and defender.

Paying night in and night out in a DI conference is going to be tough even when its the mid-con.  Last year at about this time a lot of people started talking about next year with Holdren and Beren and Berte and Gilbert and Engen and Bilitz and etc...

For me it is what it is.  We have some potential to compete on a daily basis in the conference that has offered us membership.  We don't have that chance right now so next year is obviously a better opportunity than this year.  However, this program has a LONG WAY to go before we should be expecting to compete for a league title.  That is just a fact.  Frankly, I get a little tired of hearing about these expectations, the team is what it is, not what people want it to be.  I support these guys for who they are and hope thay become what they might.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
            [quote author=mitchell2006 link=1169152181/0#3 date=1169162930]I'm of course biased towards the Jacks but I think we have a chance next year. We beat UMKC with only 7 players at UMKC who was picked to finish 3rd this year. Plus the Mid-Con is one of the weakest conferences and the best teams (Oakland, Oral Roberts) both lose their star players where as we gain two seniors, size, and a lot of experience out of this years freshman. It might be wishful thinking, but I think we have a decent shot.
            Its definitely wishful thinking to expect a team that struggles to win any game this year to compete for a conference title next year.  Even with the addition of Beren and Berte we are still a marginal DI team at best.  We should not expect this team to compete for a league title.  If they do, great, but to expect it is irresponsible thinking in my opinion.  Beren was a good player before and he will be a good player now.  He is not the kind of guy who carries a team to a league title at the DI level.  Berte is a role player who is a decent rebounder and defender.

Paying night in and night out in a DI conference is going to be tough even when its the mid-con.  Last year at about this time a lot of people started talking about next year with Holdren and Beren and Berte and Gilbert and Engen and Bilitz and etc...

For me it is what it is.  We have some potential to compete on a daily basis in the conference that has offered us membership.  We don't have that chance right now so next year is obviously a better opportunity than this year.  However, this program has a LONG WAY to go before we should be expecting to compete for a league title.  That is just a fact.  Frankly, I get a little tired of hearing about these expectations, the team is what it is, not what people want it to be.  I support these guys for who they are and hope thay become what they might.[/quote]

Jackmd, is your glass ever half-full?

Hey, nothing wrong with us being optimistic!  I'm not saying we're going to run right out and win the Mid-Con next year, but we could.  We probably won't win the conference tournament in two years to get into the big dance, but we could.  We are probably a couple years from being really tough, but if things fall the way the are talked about in the posts on the men's bb forum happen we just might be real tough, real quick!

What if???????  Wouldn't that be sweet!

Oh, snap!  My glass is half-full, I'm off to the fridge for another tall, cool one! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
              [quote author=jackmd link=1169152181/0#4 date=1169167073][quote author=mitchell2006 link=1169152181/0#3 date=1169162930]I'm of course biased towards the Jacks but I think we have a chance next year. We beat UMKC with only 7 players at UMKC who was picked to finish 3rd this year. Plus the Mid-Con is one of the weakest conferences and the best teams (Oakland, Oral Roberts) both lose their star players where as we gain two seniors, size, and a lot of experience out of this years freshman. It might be wishful thinking, but I think we have a decent shot.

For me it is what it is.  We have some potential to compete on a daily basis in the conference that has offered us membership.  We don't have that chance right now so next year is obviously a better opportunity than this year.  However, this program has a LONG WAY to go before we should be expecting to compete for a league title.  That is just a fact.  Frankly, I get a little tired of hearing about these expectations, the team is what it is, not what people want it to be.  I support these guys for who they are and hope thay become what they might.[/quote]

Jackmd, is your glass ever half-full?

Hey, nothing wrong with us being optimistic!  I'm not saying we're going to run right out and win the Mid-Con next year, but we could.  We probably won't win the conference tournament in two years to get into the big dance, but we could.  We are probably a couple years from being really tough, but if things fall the way the are talked about in the posts on the men's bb forum happen we just might be real tough, real quick!

What if???????  Wouldn't that be sweet!

Oh, snap!  My glass is half-full, I'm off to the fridge for another tall, cool one! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

SUPERBUNNY

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a little reality every now and again either. I agree with MD. We will be much improved, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Comment

NDSU can probably talk with some confidence about their chances to win the conference regular season next year. I'm usually Mr. Positive but to be honest, we've got some work to do to get to that point.

The top of the Mid-Con is currently occupied by Oral Roberts, who went into Allen Fieldhouse and beat the Jayhawks. They've got a good program going in Tulsa, and I think it's premature to talk about winning the conference before we see how we stack up to the Golden Eagles next year.

I hope that we will be competitive in the conference, and if the team continues to come together and if we find some front-line help, I think we've got a shot at finishing above .500 in the league. You can never tell when a team will really come together, and the Jacks might do that, but we'll just have to see how it plays out.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't disagree with your views on this deal!

Reality is that we have a lot of work to do before we get where we want to be. Even if all the good things happen, these kids have to learn to play together. They have to learn to win together. That's what will make them a formidable (spelling?) team.

My only point being that it is a possibility and I tend to look at the glass half full rather than half empty!

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    NDSU can probably talk with some confidence about their chances to win the conference regular season next year.  I'm usually Mr. Positive but to be honest, we've got some work to do to get to that point.

The top of the Mid-Con is currently occupied by Oral Roberts, who went into Allen Fieldhouse and beat the Jayhawks.  They've got a good program going in Tulsa, and I think it's premature to talk about winning the conference before we see how we stack up to the Golden Eagles next year.  

I hope that we will be competitive in the conference, and if the team continues to come together and if we find some front-line help, I think we've got a shot at finishing above .500 in the league.  You can never tell when a team will really come together, and the Jacks might do that, but we'll just have to see how it plays out.
                    I think this summary is a good one. I don't mean to sound like I'm down on this years team or the program. I just get frustrated when people come to me and say we have been an outright failure in men's basketball at the DI level. Its those people who seem to have an unrealisitic expectation for this team that make that point. If you look at the pieces of the puzzle and the recent twists and turns, its easy to see why we are in a bit of a rut right now. The way out of that rut is steady improvement, realistic goals/expectations, and hard work. Its not going to be easy to step into a new conference and compete right away, not for this team. I have said nothing about it not being possible, it just won't be easy and shouldn't be the expectation.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

And....it really does depend on how much they take care of themselves in the off season...working out and continually in the gym or outside wherever and whenever they can shooting the ball....

Comment

I didn't say the Jacks were a lock to win the Mid-Con, I said that they have a decent chance to compete and I don't think that's an unrealistic comment. They will have a much improved team next year, a starting lineup of Callahan, Cadwell, Williams, Beran, Berte will give us good size, more toughness and athleticism and will allow every player to play their natural positions which should give the team more confidence. To say that NDSU will be that much ahead of us to where they can compete for the title but the Jacks can't is unrealistic because I believe the talent gap between the two teams next year will be minimal. The Bison will have their three studs, winkleman, woodside, nelson but won't have much else. Oral Roberts is a very good team this year, but won't be near as good next year.  They have a good program but you don't just replace two players like green and hutt, they're not duke. My guess is that Oalkland and IUPUI will be at the top of the conference next year with Southern Utah, NDSU,Oral Roberts, SDSU, nippin at their heels and IPFW, UMKC, Centerary, & W. Illinois stuck in the cellar.

Comment

I didn't say the Jacks were a lock to win the Mid-Con, I said that they have a decent chance to compete and I don't think that's an unrealistic comment. They will have a much improved team next year, a starting lineup of Callahan, Cadwell, Williams, Beran, Berte will give us good size, more toughness and athleticism and will allow every player to play their natural positions which should give the team more confidence. To say that NDSU will be that much ahead of us to where they can compete for the title but the Jacks can't is unrealistic because I believe the talent gap between the two teams next year will be minimal. The Bison will have their three studs, winkleman, woodside, nelson but won't have much else. Oral Roberts is a very good team this year, but won't be near as good next year.  They have a good program but you don't just replace two players like green and hutt, they're not duke. My guess is that Oalkland and IUPUI will be at the top of the conference next year with Southern Utah, NDSU,Oral Roberts, SDSU,  nippin at their heels and IPFW, UMKC, Centerary, & W. Illinois stuck in the cellar.
                          I agree with everything said here. I think the most important thing for next year is we will have more experience with the young guys and the two returning players (Berte and Beran)more depth,size and a better attitude as I think the guys will feel they have more to play for and a better chance to win night in and night out. I don't know enough about the other Mid-Con teams to know how we will compete, but I do think we will have as much talent as NDSU. I'm very curious to see who we bring in to compliment this team.

Comment

I didn't say the Jacks were a lock to win the Mid-Con, I said that they have a decent chance to compete and I don't think that's an unrealistic comment. They will have a much improved team next year, a starting lineup of Callahan, Cadwell, Williams, Beran, Berte will give us good size, more toughness and athleticism and will allow every player to play their natural positions which should give the team more confidence. To say that NDSU will be that much ahead of us to where they can compete for the title but the Jacks can't is unrealistic because I believe the talent gap between the two teams next year will be minimal. The Bison will have their three studs, winkleman, woodside, nelson but won't have much else. Oral Roberts is a very good team this year, but won't be near as good next year.  They have a good program but you don't just replace two players like green and hutt, they're not duke. My guess is that Oalkland and IUPUI will be at the top of the conference next year with Southern Utah, NDSU,Oral Roberts, SDSU,  nippin at their heels and IPFW, UMKC, Centerary, & W. Illinois stuck in the cellar.
                            I wouldn't go that far NDSU has three freshman(two redshirts) coming in next year who have plenty of potential and could make an impact next year. Really I don't know what to expect out of NDSU next year, we lose Smith but add three guys with a lot of potential. There is also a possibility that Miles is going to bring in a JUCO big man, I know he made an offer to a big man but I have no clue as to if he is a high school kid or JUCO.

Comment

Beran has played well against the Bison in the past and both him and Berte will make us much better next year. I'm anxious to see how this shorthanded team will be able to matchup against the Bison this year. It's going to be difficult in Fargo, but anything can happen at Frost and it has in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X