X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Con Tourney

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=4548

Pairings Announced for 2007 Mid-Con Men’s Basketball Championship

ELMHURST, Ill. - The Mid-Continent Conference regular-season came to a close Saturday night and the seedings were set for the 2007 Mid-Con Basketball Championship, which will take place March 3-6 at the John Q. Hammons Arena at the UMAC in Tulsa, Okla.

Oral Roberts claimed the top seed in the eight-team tournament for the third year in a row after capturing the Mid-Con regular-season title. The winner of the Mid-Con Championship will receive the league’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Mid-Con Tourney

I think reading the linked article starts to stir some interest in the Mid Con. I notice the Mid Con web site has a corner icon that announces that NDSU, IPFWU and SDSU will be joining the Mid Con July 1, 2007.

Comment

I would love to see a Oral Roberts/UMKC final. It wont happen but it would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=4548

Pairings Announced for 2007 Mid-Con Men’s Basketball Championship

ELMHURST, Ill. - The Mid-Continent Conference regular-season came to a close Saturday night and the seedings were set for the 2007 Mid-Con Basketball Championship, which will take place March 3-6 at the John Q. Hammons Arena at the UMAC in Tulsa, Okla.

Oral Roberts claimed the top seed in the eight-team tournament for the third year in a row after capturing the Mid-Con regular-season title. The winner of the Mid-Con Championship will receive the league’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  
        The men’s Championship game is slated for 6 p.m. on Tuesday, March 6, and will be televised nationally on ESPN.
        I am going to try to clear my schedule so I can watch this game. I'll try to post a reminder when the date nears.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

does the team that wins the mid con, get to host the tourney? seems like oral roberts has had it the last 3 yrs and i think they were the top seed for the 3rd yr in a row

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
            does the team that wins the mid con, get to host the tourney?  seems like oral roberts has had it the last 3 yrs and i think they were the top seed for the 3rd yr in a row

Nope it is put up for bids in advance.

From the Fargo Forum (Sub. site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157758

Fargodome could host tourney

Kevin Schnepf, The Forum
            Published Sunday, February 25, 2007

By the time North Dakota State’s men’s basketball team becomes eligible for postseason play, the Mid-Continent Conference tournament could still be played in Tulsa, Okla.

“It will be difficult for an entity to win that bid away from Tulsa,” said Ed Grom, associate commissioner of the Mid-Con. “But we haven’t seen what the new schools have to offer yet.”

NDSU and South Dakota State will join the Mid-Con next season and become eligible to play in the postseason tournament for the 2008-09 season.

The two schools will also be eligible to make bids to host the tournament that automatically sends the champion to the NCAA tournament.

“Down the road, we’ll definitely look at putting in a bid,” NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said.

The bidding process has one stipulation: The tournament must be held on a neutral court.

If NDSU hosted, the tournament would be held at the Fargodome – not the Bison Sports Arena where NDSU plays its home games. If South Dakota State hosted, the tournament would be held 50 miles from Brookings in the Sioux Falls Arena.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Looking forward to watching our future conference foes battling for a birth in the "Big Dance". Sioux Falls would be a great place to host the Mid-Con tourney. Also looking forward to traveling to Tulsa to watch the Jacks in the Mid-Con tourney.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Women's championship is the same day at 12:30. Will be televised on ESPNU. :-X
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm not sure if the Fargodome could be considered a "neutral" site. Hasn't NDSU played some basketball games there in the pasy?

Sioux Falls would be a great site, but I'm not sure if the Arena would be up to snuff..........

Comment

Tulsa has and is having a strangle hold on the Mid-Con Championships...Probably because of the resources Tulsa has to offer. Can't wait til next year to see what happens in the Mid-Con.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                      Tulsa has and is having a strangle hold on the Mid-Con Championships...Probably because of the resources Tulsa has to offer. Can't wait til next year to see what happens in the Mid-Con.
                      I think the arrival of NDSU and SDSU will shake up the Mid-Con in any number of good and positive ways.

Two state Land-Grants are a significant upgrade to ANY D-I conference. Something that the Big Sky failed to understand.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                        I'm not sure if the Fargodome could be considered a "neutral" site. Hasn't NDSU played some basketball games there in the pasy?

Sioux Falls would be a great site, but I'm not sure if the Arena would be up to snuff..........

SF is looking to temporarily upgrade the arena, but down the road I believe a new downtown arena is planned. Unfortunately, I'm betting Fargo will be putting in better bids then SF.

Comment

NDSU hasn't played in the Fargodome in years, so I don't see that being a problem and with the new hockey arena being built there will be a 2nd arena in Fargo that could throw out a bid for the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
                            NDSU hasn't played in the Fargodome in years, so I don't see that being a problem and with the new hockey arena being built there will be a 2nd arena in Fargo that could throw out a bid for the tourney.

Maybe we could use the DakotaDome to host the tourney. It's the top notch athletic facility west of the Mississippi. : : :

I'd rather see Fargo host the tourney, then drive the 10 hrs to Tulsa. To make that drive, I would need to have some confidence that our team could win a few games, and compete for the bid.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                              [quote author=FargoBison link=1172416939/0#12 date=1172469832]NDSU hasn't played in the Fargodome in years, so I don't see that being a problem and with the new hockey arena being built there will be a 2nd arena in Fargo that could throw out a bid for the tourney.

Maybe we could use the DakotaDome to host the tourney.  It's the top notch athletic facility west of the Mississippi.   : : :  

I'd rather see Fargo host the tourney, then drive the 10 hrs to Tulsa.  To make that drive, I would need to have some confidence that our team could win a few games, and compete for the bid.[/quote]
                              Well lately, the women's tourney has been in the same town...So therefore, if one team struggles you could stick it out til the other team loses...2 for the price of one kinda, I'm sure you have to pay for 2 tickets but in my head it sounds good and on paper it looks good.

Comment

Working...
                              X