NDSU names a new coach...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU names a new coach...

Assistant coach Saul Phillips will take over as head coach of the NDSU men...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2812900

Re: NDSU names a new coach...

Great opportunity for a young man with no head coaching experience. It is also probably good for NDSU to settle this matter quickly as this is "crunch time" in Men's Basketball recruiting for the late signers.

Best of luck to Saul and the Bison.

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

I am told the players are pleased about the selection of Phillips as the new head coach.  Over on the main Bison board, support is running strong for the selection.

While I want SDSU to regain dominance of NDSU in men's basketball and I think we're on the short road to that goal, I want the Bison to be right behind us as we enter the Mid-Con.  It's great for the sport, great for both schools (attendance and $$) and great for the Mid-Con.

I wish the new coach much success except when meeting the 'Rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        Great opportunity for a young man with no head coaching experience.  It is also probably good for NDSU to settle this matter quickly as this is "crunch time" in Men's Basketball recruiting for the late signers.

Best of luck to Saul and the Bison.

Go Jackrabbits!  
        You got to start some place as head coach, and apparently Coach Phillips is ready to take the charge, otherwise he would not stayed. One thing he does have is D1 experience prior to coming to NDSU, namely D1 experience under Bo Ryan at Wisconsin.

Comment

It was on Monday last week that WDAY had a night sports show about the NDSU coaching change. Ben Woodside representing the players went to Gene Taylor and made it know that they wanted Saul Phillips to be their next basketball coach. Ben was interviewed on this radio show.
          Also Gene Taylor the AD was on and he had a good interview with Coach Phillips on the prior Friday, plus he made four telephone calls to people who knew Phillips, that included Greg McDermott, Tim Miles and the current AD at Iowa State. I forget the fourth person, but none-the-less AD Taylor concluded he did not have to go further with a selection committee and a solictation for resumes. Phillips appears to be very dynamic and I doubt SDSU has a leg up on recruiting because Miles left. Phillips was involved in the recruiting process and though he could not talk about recruits on the radio show, he seemed to have a very good idea of what they needed and what they were after. I believe Miles has been a great developer of staff and thats what has happen at NDSU in six years. Phillips came to NDSU because his former top assistant Smith went to Mayville. Smith has since turned Mayville around at the NAIA level. I can see Smith showing up somewhere at the D1 level as he has the skills to coach at that level.

Comment

Working...
          X