• Show
Clear All

• Southern Utah let's Men's BBall Coach Go

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs...WS01/703070311

Evans' tenure ends
    SUU won't renew coach's contract for another year

By STEVE KIGGINS
    skiggins@thespectrum.com

CEDAR CITY - Bill Evans' 15-year tenure as men's basketball coach at Southern Utah University came to a controversial end on Tuesday night.

About 48 hours after the Thunderbirds lost in the quarterfinals of the Mid-Continent Conference Tournament for the fourth consecutive season, SUU announced it would not renew Evans' contract and Roger Reid's name immediately surfaced as President Michael T. Benson's hand-picked successor.

Also, Evans said he reached agreement on a two-year contract extension with Athletic Director Ken Beazer last year, but that Benson declined to sign the deal when he took over as president in November.

SUU assistant coach Tarvish Felton hinted that Benson didn't sign the contract extension because he wants to hire Reid, the former Brigham Young University coach whom he hired to lead Snow College's men's basketball program two years ago. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Southern Utah let's Men's BBall Coach Go

I believe Snow College is where a quarterback from South Dakota spent a little time before he ended up at Oklahoma. Josh Heupal.

Comment

After reading through the article, its seems to show what happens with multi-year contracts coaching positions and a changing of the guard at the top.

When your institution is eligible for the big dance and a they had a bite of the apple as SUU did in 2001, it gets to be a very serious matter. $$$$$

The comments by SUU fans about the article at the end are also interesting. If SUU hires Roger Reid here is what they are getting, and we will get to know him through the Mid Con competition.

http://www.snowbadgers.com/mbb/rogerreid.shtml

Comment

http://www.sltrib.com/suutbirds/ci_5545365

Deep pockets send SUU coach Reid a fat check

Southern Utah University athletic director Ken Beazer did not know that when he hired Roger Reid as his basketball coach, Reid's friends would have deep pockets.

Jon Huntsman Sr., not only sent his friend Reid a note of congratulation Tuesday, Huntsman also enclosed a $50,000 check to be used for the men's basketball program. Huntsman also committed to future donations for SUU.

“It was completely out of the blue,” Beazer said. “It's awesome news. We obviously have a wish list department-wide to help our programs. To have this generous gift, it just really helps all programs.”

The money comes at a fortuitous time, as Beazer is in the midst of preparing the school's athletic budget.

In giving the donation, Huntsman said, “In addition to being one of the greatest basketball minds in America, Roger Reid is truly one of the finest men I know. He will accomplish amazing things for the basketball program at Southern Utah University.”

Reid replaced Bill Evans, whose contract was not renewed after 15 season and a 209-223 record. SUU was 16-14 in 2007. Reid coached at Snow College the last two seasons. Reid also coached at BYU for seven years, compiling a 152-77 mark with three Western Athletic Conference championships and five NCAA Tournament appearances.   .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs...704080327/1006

Reid's contract: Five years, $430,000
          Incentives could push coach's salary over $90,000 per season

By RICH JOHNSON
          rjohnson@thespectrum.com

CEDAR CITY - Coaches sometimes say you can't put a price on wins.

But for Roger Reid, 20 wins would be worth $1,000.

Under the terms of his contract, signed March 24, the newly hired Southern Utah University men's basketball coach will earn incentives if his team meetsspecificcriteria on the court and in the classroom.

Not that it's going to affect his coaching.
          "I'm going to try and be successful and try to win every game," Reid said. "It's not a matter of incentive that's going to motivate me to do anything different than I've always done anyway. But then it's nice that somehow there's a little incentive as a reward for what you're doing."

SUU Athletic Director Ken Beazer hopes to use Reid's contract as a model for all coaches. He specifically hopes to integrate the monetary incentives as a standard practice by the university.

"It's something I've always wanted to do," Beazer said. "These are very moderate incentives, but it is rewarding coaches for a job well done. I'm almost embarrassed that they're so modest but we are what we are."

Beazer said such incentives are common in college athletics, but SUU has not employed them until now.

Reid will receive a base salary of $86,000 per season over the five years of his contract, but he would also garner $2,000 if SUU makes it to the NCAA Tournament.

It doesn't stop there.

A conference championship is worth $1,000, as is a win over in-state rival Utah State, Brigham Young or Utah. If the Thunderbirds beat Weber State or Utah Valley State, Reid would receive $500.

And SUU's second Division I 20-win season would be worth another $1,000.

"I think that's very thoughtful by our athletic director and our president," Reid said.

Perhaps more important for Reid, however, was the addition of academic incentives. An Academic Progress Rate over 1,000, for example, would bring in an additional $1,000.

"The reason why you're here is to have people graduate from college," Reid said. "You're not here necessarily to just play basketball.

"I'm proud of the 98 percent graduation rate that I had at BYU in the years that I coached there," he added. "The guys understand that you're here to go to school." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
          X