UMKC MBB coach Zvosec fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMKC MBB coach Zvosec fired

Too bad. His TV commercials were pretty funny.

Kansas City Star article:
    In all, Zvosec spent seven seasons at UMKC, getting his start in 2000-01 as an assistant under Dean Demopoulos.

When Demopoulos left to become an assistant for the Seattle SuperSonics, Zvosec took over and compiled an 84-91 record, including 12-20 this season.

Zvosec guided the Kangaroos to the semifinals of the Mid-Continent Conference tournament in four of his six years, but failed to reach the championship game each season.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: UMKC MBB coach Zvosec fired

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/16977931.htm

TOP OF THE MORNIN’

By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
    Columnist

. . . . Kangaroo hopefuls?

Here are some more names UMKC may be looking at for its head coaching job:

•Ben Miller, who is an assistant coach at Missouri State, also was an assistant at Kansas under Roy Williams and under Bill Self.

•John Cooper, currently an assistant at Auburn. He was one of three finalists for the UMKC job after Bob Sundvold was fired. Cooper, a Rockhurst High School graduate, recently interviewed at Liberty University.

•Jay Spoonhour, current assistant coach at Texas-San Antonio. He is the son of Charlie Spoonhour. Jay was an assistant at Missouri during 2004-06.

•Steve McClain was the coach at Wyoming until he was fired after this season. He led Wyoming to the NCAA Tournament in 2002. McClain won a national championship as coach at Hutchinson Community College in 1994. (read more)

Go State!

Comment

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/17003727.htm

UMKC talks to Miller

Missouri State assistant Ben Miller, a former Kansas assistant, interviewed Friday for the vacant UMKC job. (read more)

Go State!

Comment

http://www.kansascity.com/178/story/58494.html

UMKC’s search continues
        A.D. interviews several candidates, says there’s no rush to find right fit for basketball program.

By DAVID BOYCE
        The Kansas City Star

In the time since UMKC fired Rich Zvosec as its basketball coach on March 13, Arkansas played in the NCAA Tournament, fired its coach, hired his replacement, the replacement quit and the original coach found another job at South Florida.

That doesn’t mean there’s reason to panic that UMKC’s search is crawling along too slowly.

UMKC athletic director Tim Hall recently returned from the Final Four in Atlanta, where he interviewed 11 candidates. Two of them impressed him enough to bring on campus for more detailed interviews with UMKC officials.

Marshall senior assistant coach Bob MacKinnon was on campus Tuesday to talk about the job. Jay Spoonhour, assistant coach at Texas-San Antonio and a former Missouri assistant, will interview on campus today.

“They were two individuals out of the ones I met that seemed like they were right to bring in,” Hall said. “They both could be really good fits.”

Hall might bring in a couple more candidates and hopes to wrap up the process sometime in mid-April. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

You can listen to a pod cast of UMKC Athletic Director Tim Hall talking about the search for a new Men's Basketball Coach on "The Program" with Soren Petro:

http://www.810whb.com/podcast.asp

Go State!

Comment

UMKC has found their Coach:

http://umkckangaroos.cstv.com/sports...041207aae.html

Matt Brown To Lead UMKC Men's Basketball Program
            Former West Virginia assistant selected to lead Kangaroos

April 12, 2007

Kansas City, Mo. - UMKC Athletics Director Tim Hall announced today the appointment of Matt Brown as the head coach of the Kangaroo men's basketball program. Brown becomes the eighth head coach in UMKC history after serving the past five seasons as an assistant coach at West Virginia University.

"I am excited that Matt has decided to join our University and athletics department family in the role of head men's basketball coach," said Hall. "He is a fine person, a teacher of the highest order, and a terrific basketball coach. He has honed his skills under John Beilein and Billy Donovan, two of the finest coaches in the college game.

"I am confident Matt will work with great enthusiasm to graduate our men's basketball student-athletes, while building a program that will win championships and become one of the finest programs at the mid-major level."

"Matt Brown will be a strong asset to our athletics program," said UMKC Chancellor Guy H. Bailey. "I am looking forward to the success of our student-athletes as Coach Brown advances our men's basketball program."

"I am very appreciative for the opportunity that Tim Hall and Chancellor Guy Bailey have given me to lead this men's basketball program," said Brown. "I am extremely excited to meet the young men who are currently in the program and to begin building relationships with the UMKC community." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

From today's Kansas City Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/68974.html

UMKC hires WV assistant to coach basketball
              West Virginia assistant Brown will take over the Kangaroos’ basketball program.

By DAVID BOYCE
              The Kansas City Star

It took a full month, 11 face-to-face interviews and three candidates visiting campus for UMKC to find its man.

West Virginia assistant coach Matt Brown will be introduced Monday as the fifth men’s basketball coach in UMKC’s 20-year Division I era. Brown, an assistant at West Virginia since 2002, made his campus visit on Tuesday and impressed UMKC athletic director Tim Hall.

“We are excited to get him,” Hall said. “He’s a consummate professional. He’s been mentored by two of the finest coaches in Division I.”

During his years at West Virginia, Brown worked under John Beilein, who recently took the head coaching job at Michigan. West Virginia advanced to the Elite Eight in 2005 and won the NIT last season. During 1996-97, Brown was an administrative assistant and video coordinator at the University of Florida under Billy Donovan.

In between, Brown, a graduate of Shippensburg University (Pa.), spent five years as an assistant coach at the University of Richmond.

Brown, 37, graduated in 1988 from Boyd County High in Ashland, Ky.

“I am very appreciative for the opportunity that Tim Hall and Chancellor Guy Bailey have given me to lead this men’s basketball program,” Brown said in a press release. “I am extremely excited to meet the young men who are currently in the program and to begin building relationships with the UMKC community.”  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

UMKC's Matt Brown meets the Press

Here is a quick bit of video from the KC Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/

Here is a link to the UMKC athletics site:

http://umkckangaroos.cstv.com/sports...041607aab.html

Matt Brown Meets The Kansas City Press
                Quotes and remarks from the press conference announcing Matt Brown as the eighth head coach in UMKC men's basketball history

April 16, 2007

Kansas City, Mo. - In a press conference held Monday afternoon, UMKC Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Tim Hall formally introduced Matt Brown as the head coach of the men's basketball team. Brown, the eighth head coach in UMKC history, along with Hall, UMKC Chancellor Guy H. Bailey, University of Michigan men's basketball coach John Beilein and University of Florida men's basketball coach Billy Donovan made the following remarks to the media in attendance. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                X