Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Con will announce name change on May 15

Saw this on the Bisonville board.
    It's official! The Mid-Continent Conference will officially change their name to the "Summit League" and will formally announce the name/logo change on May 15th.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Sp...;NStoryID=6001
    Go State! Go State!

Re: Mid-Con will announce name change on May 15

I like it.

Go State!

Comment

I like it too.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I like it thrice! ;D
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA
          Saw this on the Bisonville board.
          It's official! The Mid-Continent Conference will officially change their name to the "Summit League" and will formally announce the name/logo change on May 15th.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Sp...;NStoryID=6001
          Snookums' reaction was, quote, "Oh, MAN!!!"

I think she wanted them to hold out for the second t, as in Summitt.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think it sounds alright. Whats the connotation though?

Comment

Is there a reason for this? Mid-Con sounds good, Summit Sounds good I could really care less as long as they are a D-I conference that allows for home games and a conference tournament that has an automatic birth in basketball.

Comment

I believe they wanted a name change because felt Mid Continent didn't necessarily apply since they have teams spread out all over the place. Plus I think they just felt with three new teams coming in it was time to freshen up the conference and get a new start.
                Summit League isn't bad, but I think The Summit Conference would have been better. The word League makes it sound like some inturmural league. I guess it goes along with the Horizon League which is probably the conference we have the most in common with.

Comment

Not bad, generic sounding like Horizon League but with more of a point :-?

The Mid-Con certainly didn't have a positive brand because of all of the turnover. Maybe this will mark a new beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFan06
                    I believe they wanted a name change because felt Mid Continent didn't necessarily apply since they have teams spread out all over the place. Plus I think they just felt with three new teams coming in it was time to freshen up the conference and get a new start.
                    Summit League isn't bad, but I think The Summit Conference would have been better. The word League makes it sound like some inturmural league. I guess it goes along with the Horizon League which is probably the conference we have the most in common with.

Other NCAA D-I Leagues:

Go State!

Comment

I do like that Horizon League logo. Throw some ears on it and it would be far better than that damn rabbit that someone is paying for.

I prefer Summit League to Summit Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
                        I do like that Horizon League logo.  Throw some ears on it and it would be far better than that damn rabbit that someone is paying for.  

I prefer Summit League to Summit Conference.  
                        I prefer Summit Beer to Summit League, maybe we can get them to be our #1 sponsor :P

Comment

Not a bad idea, Jacks02: "Summit, the official beer of the Summit League."

But, I have a feeling the athletic conference will not seek sponsorship from a beer producer. Perhaps Summit Brewery would approve of being the "unofficial" beer of the Summit League...I think they'd sell a few T-shirts. [Reminds me of a marketing idea I had while watching basketball in Frost Arena a couple seasons ago. The refs made an obvious bad call and I thought it would have been hilarious to have an instant replay on the big video screen, sponsored by Fastenal, the "screw" experts. As you probably know, Fastenal is a company specializing in fasterners including bolts, screws, nuts, rivets etc..]

Comment

I think The Summit League is an excellent name for an athletics conference

. . . not a totally original term though

http://www.rcrhfoundation.org/Progra...t/default.aspx

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...37/1002/SPORTS

Report: Mid-Con Conference to change name
                              Confusion, new vision seen as reasons SDSU's future home will alter title to Summit League

By Terry Vandrovec
                              tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                              Published: May 10, 2007

There's nothing middling about this name - other than the way it was made public.

Beginning next season, the Mid-Continent Conference reportedly will become the Summit League. The name and a new logo for South Dakota State's future conference home will likely be unveiled next Tuesday at a news conference, but word of the change leaked early because it was part of an advertisement for incoming member Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne placed in a recently released phonebook in Fort Wayne, Ind.

While Commissioner Tom Douple could not be reached for comment Wednesday, the ABC television affiliate in Fort Wayne reported that it received confirmation from the league.

"I'm told there will be a press conference on May 15," said SDSU marketing and promotion director Micah Grenz, the school's representative on the name and logo committee. "Exactly what will be released at that press conference, I'm not totally sure."

According to Grenz, the league began exploring possible changes for a variety of reasons including: its diverse and expanding geographic footprint, confusion over the full name in light of the frequently used abbreviation (Mid-Con) and the mediocre connotation of the word "mid". In a fall survey of 800 student-athletes, athletic staff members, boosters and media, 91 percent felt that a new name and logo - a rainbow doesn't mean what it used to - would boost perception of the league. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X