Sutton to Sutton rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sutton to Sutton rumor

Lots of talk about Scott Sutton leaving ORU for one of the many openings, also talk of his dad (Eddie Sutton) taking over ORU .  

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?

Eddie Sutton to ORU would be interesting

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
    4/3/2007

ATLANTA -- How about taking five different schools to the NCAA Tournament? Would that be good enough for basketball's grand Pooh-Bahs to finally admit Eddie Sutton into their Hall of Fame?

Sutton was once again denied entrance into the Hall of Fame Monday when officials revealed the names of seven new members.

Sutton has Hall of Fame credentials. Shoot, the achievements of at least half the coaches already in the Hall of Fame couldn't touch what Sutton did during a legendary career on the high school, junior college and Division I levels.

But if the obviously vindictive voters need more evidence, perhaps Sutton will get a coaching curtain call. Maybe he'll have one more chance to show that he's unquestionably one of the finest teachers in the game's history.

The perfect storm could be brewing for Sutton to return to the profession he left before he achieved all his personal goals.

Ironically, two of the schools Sutton took to the NCAA Tournament, Creighton and Arkansas, could play a role in the 71-year-old returning to the sidelines for a few more seasons.

Creighton coach Dana Altman's decision Monday to accept Arkansas'  

offer created the potential for an intriguing scenario that could make the Sutton family college basketball's version of the Bowden family in college football.

When news broke that Arkansas had found a replacement for the fired Stan Heath, several national media outlets immediately identified Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton, Eddie's youngest son, as the leading contender to replace Altman at Creighton.  

A columnist covering the Final Four for the Omaha World-Herald said he intended to endorse Scott Sutton as the runaway best choice to take over a Creighton program that gave Eddie Sutton his first Division I coaching job in 1969.

If Creighton officials are smart enough to realize Scott Sutton is the perfect candidate and he accepts the job, that's when things could really get interesting.

Who would replace Scott Sutton at ORU? How about his father? .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: Sutton to Sutton rumor

The plot thickens:

http://www.orusports.com/talk/

It has been posted over on the ORU board that Eddie Sutton said "If Mike Carter and Richard Roberts asked me to come over to ORU for a couple of years to be the head coach, I would do it, just to help the school continue their success. Patsy might divorce me, but if they asked me to, I would do it for a couple of years." on the Radio in Tulsa.

It could be a lot of fun watching a coaching legend like Eddie Sutton prowling the sidelines of Frost Arena.

Go State!  

Comment

Hold on. Turns out Altman is going back to Creighton. :-/

Comment

Coach Sutton Sr's wife must really have some pull!   Altman backs out at Arkansas, welcomed back to Creighton, so Sutton Jr stays at Oral Roberts and Sutton Sr. banished to the basement with a 19" TV.

Comment

Looks like ORU is going to keep their coach after all.  After rumors that he might be offered the Creighton job, and contact between Scott and Wichita State about thier opening Scott Sutton says he is staying at ORU.

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/index...ange_well_id=2

Sutton Withdraws from Consideration at Wichita State

TULSA—Oral Roberts University men’s basketball head coach Scott Sutton has officially withdrawn from consideration for the vacant coaching position at Wichita State. Sutton notified ORU officials of his intentions early Wednesday afternoon.

Sutton, who recently completed his eighth season as head coach of the Golden Eagles, was contacted by Wichita State officials on Tuesday.

“After careful thought and several conversations with my family, I have decided that it is in my best interests to withdraw from the search at Wichita State,” said Sutton.

“I love it here,” Sutton added. “This is my home. My family and I love ORU and we love Tulsa. President (Richard) Roberts, (Athletics Director) Mike Carter and everyone else at the University make this a wonderful place to work. We’ve accomplished a lot in the last several seasons, and I’m looking forward to what the future holds.”  .  .  .  (read more)

Although it would have been fun to see his dad on the Frost Arena floor, this strikes me as good news for the Mid-Con as a whole, as one of the bright young coaches in America is staying in our league.  Congrats to the Eagle faithful, I know they are very happy with Scott's decision.

Go State!  

Comment

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/bas...dcrumb=College

ORU's Sutton is ready to take on big schools

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
            5/19/2007

Five weeks later, Scott Sutton still hasn't second-guessed himself. He's about the only one who hasn't.

Even some of Sutton's family members were as shocked as the rest of us when he turned down the opportunity to take a major step up the college basketball coaching ladder. Sutton rejected an offer from Wichita State, opting at the last minute to remain at Oral Roberts University.

"I'm at peace with it," Sutton said of the stunning decision, which included giving up an opportunity to more than double his salary and taking a job in the Missouri Valley Conference, the nation's best mid-major basketball league.

More than anything, Sutton's decision demonstrated that at 36 he's become his own man. It's no secret that Sutton's father (Eddie) and older brother (Sean) strongly encouraged him to seize the opportunity.

The Wichita State job offered the Sutton family the perfect scenario, starting with Eddie replacing Scott at ORU. With Sean coaching Oklahoma State, it would have become the Sutton version of the Bermuda Basketball Triangle between Tulsa, Stillwater and Wichita.

Scott Sutton's ability to say no to his legendary father sent a stronger message than the second surprise he pulled a few days later. That move involved the hiring of Conley Clarke as ORU's director of basketball operations.

Clarke, of course, is the father of Rotnei Clarke. The younger Clarke, a deadeye-shooting guard who will be a senior next season at Verdigris High School, has become one of the hottest prospects in the nation.

Tulsa, Missouri State and ORU were the first schools to show interest in Clarke. That list now includes OSU, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Arizona State, Marquette and several more.

Hiring Conley Clarke demonstrated that Sutton is crafty. But refusing to take another job just to keep peace in his family showed that Sutton has plenty of substance to him, the type of grit and determination it's going to take when he's butting recruiting heads with Bill Self and other coaches at big-time programs who want Rotnei Clarke. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
            X