NDSU fundraising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU fundraising

From the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free)

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/169102

Fundraising fanatics

Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Sunday, June 17, 2007

The consulting firm sounded more like a board game, but the influence of Convention, Sports & Leisure International was immeasurable. Its favorable projection of North Dakota State’s revenue potential was a major reason the school went Division I.

Five years later, the Twin Cities firm was right – and then some.

It estimated NDSU’s revenue for 2008-09 – the first year it is eligible for NCAA championships – to be between $6.7 million and $7.9 million.

The school has blown that figure out of the water. This year’s budgeted revenue is $10.9 million.

“But don’t get too hung up on that number,” athletic director Gene Taylor said. “That could go down.” . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: NDSU fundraising

Here is another (still have to register, registration is still free )

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/169126

Sports fund rises

Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Sunday, June 17, 2007

North Dakota State’s institutional contribution to the athletic department’s budget has gone up by more than $1.5 million since the school has declared Division I status.

Athletics is budgeted to receive $2.65 million of institutional support for 2007-08. Institutional support is non-tuition money available to NDSU President Joe Chapman to use at his discretion upon the advice of university vice presidents.

The athletic department received $2.5 million for the 2006-07 fiscal year. Those funds were not part of the more than $91 million generated by the general fund and tuition income in 2006-07, said Broc Lietz, associate vice president for finance and administration.

The athletic portion came from more than $114 million available to Chapman to help fund operations in all areas of the university, he said.

The revenue from institutional support is well ahead of the pace Convention, Sports & Leisure International, the consulting firm NDSU hired in 2002 to estimate its athletic financial worthiness, figured the school would divvy to the athletic department. It tabbed institutional support at almost $1 million by 2008-09. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Any idea if we've had an increase? How much? Percentage? Just curious where we are at.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
        Any idea if we've had an increase? How much? Percentage? Just curious where we are at.
        Well I can tell you that in '04-'05 our budget was $6,523,767 dollars.  In '06-'07 it was $8,447,943 and of course this coming year will be our biggest one year jump in scholarships since we made the move to D-I going from 167.00 to 205.65 (in '04-'05 we had 116.50).  

Go State!  

P.S.  When reviewing the old "Division I Re-Classification FAQ" section of the athletics web sit, it stated that our D-II budget was $4.3 million.  So we have come along ways and still have a ways to go if we want to be at the top of the Summit League and Gateway Football Conference. Everyone please join the Jackrabbit Club/give to SDSU if you are able.

Comment

Not an exact fit but close enough for this thread, here is another story from the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/169194

NDSU's route to D-I

Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
          Published Monday, June 18, 2007

It was considered the green light to North Dakota State’s move to NCAA Division I. Five years later, the school still has not detoured from the road map laid out by Carr Sports Associates.

The consulting firm gave NDSU four directives before it should reclassify from NCAA Division II. The Bison followed three of them and ignored a fourth.

The one warning the Bison didn’t heed – the firm’s recommendation that the school find a Division I conference first – was resolved last year with membership in The Summit League, which officially changed its name from the Mid-Continent Conference in mid-May.

In that regard, the school rolled a perfect game in a Forum analysis of the comprehensive 2002 report.

That doesn’t surprise Bill Carr of Carr Associates. He said his firm’s report took a conservative approach on the conference issue.

“We err on the side of caution and (NDSU) President (Joseph) Chapman erred on the side of courage and he was right,” Carr said. “It is a risk but the reality is North Dakota State had the substance to be a Division I program much earlier. President Chapman showed great judgment not to accept our advice.”

Finding a conference was looking precarious early. NDSU flirted with membership in the Big Sky Conference in 2004, but was eventually foiled because of its location, according to the Big Sky Council of Presidents.

At that point, NDSU faced the prospect of being an independent for years to come. But unexpected defections in The Summit League opened a door to membership last summer.

“The big question was the conference thing,” Chapman said. “The place I really deviated from was around the conference issue. But I made that decision based on a lot of conversations with my colleague presidents.”

Their message:

“Do it and then we will talk,” Chapman said.

Looking back, Chapman said the school had to make the Division I move in accordance with the university’s “higher level” mission. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

The fund raising by NDSU got me thinking about how many sports they have to fund.  In looking at the Summit League here are the number of sports each university is funding.

SUU     - 13 Sports
            UMKC  - 13 Sports
            NDSU  - 14 Sports
            IUPUI  - 14 Sports
            UOR    - 14 Sports
            IPFW   - 15 Sports
            Cenn   - 16 Sports
            Oakland - 16 Sports
            West Ill - 18 Sports
            SDSU   - 19 Sports

In looking at this list, I was a little suprised at how few sports NDSU is actually having to fund as compared to SDSU.  I guess their theory is that the few sports they have to fund, the more resources they can pour into those sports.  Having fewer sports, means they have fewer head coaches and therefore can pay their head coaches more because the have fewer to pay.

I am actually glad to see SDSU has the most sponsered sports of any university in the Summit League.  If I were NDSU I would be a little  :-[ that they were way down on this list, I mean even Centenary has 16 sports and they only have 1,000 students.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
              The fund raising by NDSU got me thinking about how many sports they have to fund.  In looking at the Summit League here are the number of sports each university is funding.

SUU     - 13 Sports
              UMKC  - 13 Sports
              NDSU  - 14 Sports
              IUPUI  - 14 Sports
              UOR    - 14 Sports
              IPFW   - 15 Sports
              Cenn   - 16 Sports
              Oakland - 16 Sports
              West Ill - 18 Sports
              SDSU   - 19 Sports

In looking at this list, I was a little suprised at how few sports NDSU is actually having to fund as compared to SDSU.  I guess their theory is that the few sports they have to fund, the more resources they can pour into those sports.  Having fewer sports, means they have fewer head coaches and therefore can pay their head coaches more because the have fewer to pay.

I am actually glad to see SDSU has the most sponsered sports of any university in the Summit League.  If I were NDSU I would be a little  :-[ that they were way down on this list, I mean even Centenary has 16 sports and they only have 1,000 students.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
              NDSU does have football and wrestling that are not sponsored by the Summit League. FB is a biggie (63 scholarships). Centenery does not.
              Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I'm pretty sure these are the correct figures. Remember, Indoor and Outdoor T&F are considered two seperate sports.

IUPUI 14
                SUU 15
                UMKC 15
                CC 16
                NDSU 16
                IPFW 16
                ORU 16
                OU 18
                WIU 20
                SDSU 21
                I do think that NDSU will add a women's sport sometime around 2010, so that men's sports can be fully funded without worrying about Title IX issues. Equestrian is high on the list, as is tennis. S&D might be, but we lack adequate facilities and even those will be removed for our sports arena renovation. Another option would be gymnastics, but it might be tough to start that from scratch without a conference home.

Comment

Working...
                X